• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

YSC

Major Contributor
Sorry, but you often do this in discussions and have done the same to me which is highly frustrating. You find a sentence, twist it to your liking, and then spin it full circle. Maybe not intentional but read your reply from a third-person view of what you wrote and you will maybe notice it. :)

It is obvious that @Torbachkristensen, in this case, is using the word "crude" to describe why a speaker is not very good for the job, you can't simply stand working all day long for 10 hours a day using a tool that sounds unpleasant to the ear.

I'm sure plenty of speakers from your favorite brand (Genelec) don't sound unpleasant to the ear, but maybe just not their soffit mounting speakers according to some people.
well, it seems to me that you want to pick on frustrating language war more often to me. what I wanted to say is not that "crude" is good or bad, but want/hope to get more data supported arguements, I am sure Genelecs are not the ultimate and did nothing wrong brand, or that any genelec is better than ATC or whatever brand. All I would hope for wonderful claims to be backed up by data, "unpleasant to the ear" could be due to a basket of reasons, like having boosted highs, weird decay time, distortion spike or whatever other reasons, as I said in the post that you don't respond, is that there ARE a lot of other studios, big and small, that uses Genelec and other brand of Soffit mounting models to do the job, like the very famous capitol studio uses PMC (IIRC) and the list goes on. it will be impossible to work on the genelec based studios if the claim of it must/have to be "crude" and "unpleasant to the ear".

Speaker brands have their own design metrics so that they can make their products consistent in tonality, so this whatever property makes ATC magical, or say, Genelec Soffit mounted ones unbearable have to be able to be measurable. as such, what I am asking/debating/frustrating to whoever is just simple: back it up with the comparison data. I am perfectly fine if the result is say, "Genelec Main monitors have horrid distortion spike or decay time while having better directivity, thus is worse than ATC in the MLP in the well designed room", or something like "The waveguide on the Genelecs results in far worse distortion/decay" then be it and ATC Soffit mounted monitors are better in that usage. period. but simply claiming with those buzz words are sounding just like fanboys and not convincing enough. so far I didn't see any of these kind of support.

YSC

Major Contributor
Just looked at the new C4 sub Mk2.
The width does not match any of the classic speakers (50, 100 or 150).
Yes, it may not be a good idea locate the sub directly under the R/L speakers, but still, if it was matching in width either the 50s or 100s, they would sell a few more (pairs of) subs than otherwise, I would think.
It looked ok to me though for off stereo placement, if one is by their brand, and I guess it is performing well, I personally am ok with the asked price or size. Size in subs do play a role in their extension etc. so if it delivers in that package, I am pretty ok with them, and for the price category they are charging, I bet changing the size with similar or slightly inferior performance won't actually affect the sales volume, it's not that mass market product to begin with.

WillBrink

They would sell even more subs if their prices were reasonable and they would offer a DSP bass management solution for their systems...
As a general observation, it seems companies that offer great great subs produce meh speakers and those that produce great speakers offer meh subs, or subs that are poor value for $. Why that is exactly is unclear to me. There are exceptions of course but that seems the common reality.

YSC

Major Contributor
As a general observation, it seems companies that offer great great subs produce meh speakers and those that produce great speakers offer meh subs, or subs that are poor value for $. Why that is exactly is unclear to me. There are exceptions of course but that seems the common reality.
I bet it's due to limited R&D resources, and the a sub needing just to do the omnidirection bass frequency vs the speaker which need proper integration of various drivers and hopefully not awful in room response with on axis tuning and or directivity. There are only so much resource to do things to stay competitive and only really large companies with the budget can afford doing both great. For price I have an inherit feeling that the industry is kind of so twisted on snake oil and absurd pricing, big names with wellknown main speakers, if releasing a good C/P ratio sub, they would likely lose more customer than gaining

goat76

Major Contributor
well, it seems to me that you want to pick on frustrating language war more often to me. what I wanted to say is not that "crude" is good or bad, but want/hope to get more data supported arguements, I am sure Genelecs are not the ultimate and did nothing wrong brand, or that any genelec is better than ATC or whatever brand. All I would hope for wonderful claims to be backed up by data, "unpleasant to the ear" could be due to a basket of reasons, like having boosted highs, weird decay time, distortion spike or whatever other reasons, as I said in the post that you don't respond, is that there ARE a lot of other studios, big and small, that uses Genelec and other brand of Soffit mounting models to do the job, like the very famous capitol studio uses PMC (IIRC) and the list goes on. it will be impossible to work on the genelec based studios if the claim of it must/have to be "crude" and "unpleasant to the ear".

Okay, now you are talking about all sorts of possible faults the word "crude" can mean, but in your earlier reply to @Torbachkristensen, "crude" seemed just to be a good thing without any mentioning of possible faults. That is the twisting of words I'm pointing out to you, those make the discussions with you very energy-consuming when people must twist it back to the things that were truly meant with the wording.

But let us not go into a long discussion about this, just think about what is pointed out to you.

Speaker brands have their own design metrics so that they can make their products consistent in tonality, so this whatever property makes ATC magical, or say, Genelec Soffit mounted ones unbearable have to be able to be measurable. as such, what I am asking/debating/frustrating to whoever is just simple: back it up with the comparison data. I am perfectly fine if the result is say, "Genelec Main monitors have horrid distortion spike or decay time while having better directivity, thus is worse than ATC in the MLP in the well designed room", or something like "The waveguide on the Genelecs results in far worse distortion/decay" then be it and ATC Soffit mounted monitors are better in that usage. period. but simply claiming with those buzz words are sounding just like fanboys and not convincing enough. so far I didn't see any of these kind of support.

Not anyone likes ATCs, not everyone likes Genelecs, not everyone likes Neumanns, and the list goes on. It doesn't have to be that a particular monitor that happens to gel with a certain person must be better on every single measurement, it just has to do particularly well in a particular area that makes the person go with it.

In another thread, I think sigbergaudio explained it well and you liked his reply. So why do you need an explanation or a technical reason why someone in particular prefers a certain monitor over another?
That doesn't really hold water, everyone hears reality with their own ears, and most probably don't think reality sounds wrong to their ears. So if speakers accurately can reproduce reality, it should sound right to everyone?

That being said, I think we have different preferences with regards to what we value (soundstage, good bass, vocal reproduction, etc etc) and what we can accept as flaws - and the combination of what is important and what is less important to an individual, may lead them to a different speaker than another individual.

The reason behind these preferences can be a combination of what they're used to, what musical genres they prefer, possibly cultural aspects, what type of room they use the speakers in, etc.

YSC

Major Contributor
Okay, now you are talking about all sorts of possible faults the word "crude" can mean, but in your earlier reply to @Torbachkristensen, "crude" seemed just to be a good thing without any mentioning of possible faults. That is the twisting of words I'm pointing out to you, those make the discussions with you very energy-consuming when people must twist it back to the things that were truly meant with the wording.

But let us not go into a long discussion about this, just think about what is pointed out to you.

Not anyone likes ATCs, not everyone likes Genelecs, not everyone likes Neumanns, and the list goes on. It doesn't have to be that a particular monitor that happens to gel with a certain person must be better on every single measurement, it just has to do particularly well in a particular area that makes the person go with it.

In another thread, I think sigbergaudio explained it well and you liked his reply. So why do you need an explanation or a technical reason why someone in particular prefers a certain monitor over another?
No, I don't need any explaination where ppl have their preference, I just need explaination that saying that A is factually better than B in situatiton X, without supporting data for the arguement. in @Torbachkristensen case, it is that Soffit mounted ATC just champs the Genelec Soffit mount, because it sounded "crude" be it whatever meaning. I don't believe in any magical brand and yet there isn't any magical triats to any brand, just simple facts supported by data.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
"Crude" Genelecs= I like the more rolled off "musical " ATC sound and less the Analytical Genelec sound ;)

goat76

Major Contributor
"Crude" Genelecs= I like the more rolled off "musical " ATC sound and less the Analytical Genelec sound ;)

Maybe, that can be a reason, but my ATC speakers are not rolled off so there must be something wrong with them. :)

I would love to see how ATC's mid-dome measures in Multi-Tone Distortion, I think they would measure very well in that regard as I find it particularly clean-sounding in that range. That's maybe a technical reason why people tend to like their speakers.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am looking forward to Amir or Erin testing a speaker from ATC on day. ATC seems to be too modest to publish data...;)
I would be extremely surprised if ATC or any of their affiliates send a loudspeaker to be anechoic/klippel measured because that would pop the myth balloon.
Deni Mesanovic sent me this photo a while ago of a custom studio speaker,
Keith

Attachments

• IMG_2558.png
    IMG_2558.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 101

YSC

Major Contributor
Not me. I sold my ATCs. However, they sounded much better than the B&W I had before...;)
that sounded logical, as B&W are not even on axis kind of flat, they have the very V shape curve nowadays and with poor directivity also.. so in technical terms, far from Hifi not let alone SOTA but that's another story

goat76

Major Contributor
I would be extremely surprised if ATC or any of their affiliates send a loudspeaker to be anechoic/klippel measured because that would pop the myth balloon.
Keith

I would also like to see Klippel measurements of some of their better speakers, it could tell me what it is I like about them. One of their 3-way speakers would be interesting to see, and hopefully with a Multi-Tone Distortion test to see how the midrange driver does when it comes to something that is supposed to be closer to actually music listening. The mid-dome driver is the particular thing with ATC speakers that many people swear by and that part of the frequency range is the area that our hearing is the most sensitive of.

That may be "the thing" people like about ATC speakers, even if they have some measurable flaws in other areas.

Avp1

The width does not match any of the classic speakers (50, 100 or 150).
Yes, it may not be a good idea locate the sub directly under the R/L speakers, but still, if it was matching in width either the 50s or 100s, they would sell a few more (pairs of) subs than otherwise, I would think.

SCM100 uses 12" driver. Why would you add a sub of the same size? With SCM150 you better get subs with 2x18", if you really want to reach low or sub- bass.

EAXAE

Standard finishes: £3990
Premium finishes: £4750
Add high gloss lacquer over veneers: +£1979
Piano black/white: £6140
Not that I was ever considering buying any ATC product, but now it's out of the question. I understand the pricing above stricktly as the company sells nice finished boxes which happen to be subwoofers as a bonus.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Moan moan moan it’s cheap compared to the Wilson ‘Loke’
Keith

WillBrink

SCM100 uses 12" driver. Why would you add a sub of the same size? With SCM150 you better get subs with 2x18", if you really want to reach low or sub- bass.

I don't follow. There's a lot more to than the size of the driver. I would not go with that sub myself, but not due to the fact it uses a 12" driver per se. Various subs using 12" drivers go a lot lower than the 32Hz the 100 is rated.

Top Bottom