• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

dfuller

Major Contributor
Could it be that they are straight up boosted in the mids? Do you recall the model? Based on this from ASR for one of their bookshelves, it could be a simple case of boosted mids if their purposeful engineering issues bleed into their larger models.View attachment 334837
Yes, scm110s. The little 2 ways share very little in common with the big 3 ways IME, they're much flatter. There's decent measurements of the scm50s around, they are pretty flat. Still, they lack LF extension bigtime. The sub is doing a lot.

Last edited:

YSDR

The 3 way ATCs have a relative gentle roll-off at their low-end plus they are tuned low, so a carefully positioning in a typical room can help to get deep, powerful but not exaggerated bass from them. They are not as flat down low anechoically like some newer active monitors (those monitors are EQ-ed this way from the factory), but that helps to integrate with a normal room better if far from the walls positioning or DSP correction is not (or even if it is) an option.
I heard a pair of SCM150ASL Pro and I don't think they need a sub (but that can be subjective) if can be placed correctly in the room.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is how ATC SCM200 measure in this room. I like their headroom but that's it, the rest is as far for neutral as it gets, I started to bring my 8330 there just to know what I'm really recording. I can understand someone liking it, the dip in the midrange and the HF curve in particular makes everything sound like a 8k pultec bump and more like a "record", but this is not how a monitor speaker should sound and a good example how pro studios shouldn't be automatically taken as a reference

371514715_1351474042405101_1438550036444079747_n.png
403397994_372540585220821_4456914356544411411_n.jpg

boxerfan88

I’m kinda surprised to see that huge frequency response variation above 1k.

Their SCM200 spec sheet says +/- 2dB from 60-12k anechoic.

I wonder if the room had something to do with it… or the tweeter is ill…

holdingpants01

Forum Donor

both sound the same, the dip is probably because of the reflection from the desk and HF drop is about the same as any ATC I measured or heard, maybe a bit more as the tweeter is rather hight. Month ago I was helping calibrate SCM45 in different room and it was around -5dB at 20k on axis

Last edited:

goat76

Major Contributor

I think I’m more surprised that some people on this forum still don't seem to understand that you should never draw any conclusions from a room measurement around 500 Hz and up. :)

DSJR

Major Contributor
Could it be that they are straight up boosted in the mids? Do you recall the model? Based on this from ASR for one of their bookshelves, it could be a simple case of boosted mids if their purposeful engineering issues bleed into their larger models.View attachment 334837
That's ONE small model - the 20SL's do it too but they were designed to sit on a meter bridge and the 19 was a cheaper-box cobble for price reasons I remember!

Not sure the original 20 was as humped up in the mids - lean and lacking in low down 'weight' certainly, but not mid-forward and over-explicit as my 20ASL pros were... That original Vifa based tweeter could sound very rough by today's standards but not in my 100A's for some reason.

DSCF0555...JPG

Last edited:

Torbachkristensen

This is how ATC SCM200 measure in this room. I like their headroom but that's it, the rest is as far for neutral as it gets, I started to bring my 8330 there just to know what I'm really recording. I can understand someone liking it, the dip in the midrange and the HF curve in particular makes everything sound like a 8k pultec bump and more like a "record", but this is not how a monitor speaker should sound and a good example how pro studios shouldn't be automatically taken as a reference

View attachment 334874View attachment 334875
That shows more about your room than speakers. These are my 110’s. I have never seen anything so close to perfect in room. HF lifted slightly in DSP after these measurements, but to be honest most of the very early and sudden drops in HF we see from ATC is due to people not measuring at the acoustic reference point, myself included as I made the same mistake, and was more interested in Mid and LF response.

When I sit in the sweetspot with ears between mid and tweeter, I like the HF balance. My Neumann 320 is more dull than my ATC’s that’s for sure :)
room first measurement waterfall.jpeg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It would be interesting to actually see a Northward room measurement, he was here but chose not to share any measurements.
If I had made a great sounding/measuring room I would post the results everywhere.
My active 50’s weren’t too dissimilar in room from @cyjanopan , rolled off bass and treble but that does leave the midrange.
Keith

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
That shows more about your room than speakers. These are my 110’s. I have never seen anything so close to perfect in room. HF lifted slightly in DSP after these measurements, but to be honest most of the very early and sudden drops in HF we see from ATC is due to people not measuring at the acoustic reference point, myself included as I made the same mistake, and was more interested in Mid and LF response.

When I sit in the sweetspot with ears between mid and tweeter, I like the HF balance. My Neumann 320 is more dull than my ATC’s that’s for sure :)
View attachment 334884

The rather extreme HF drop and ~7kHz broad bump is very similar to most ATCs I heard, so no wonder Neumanns sound "dull" by comparison

room first measurement waterfall.jpg

goat76

Major Contributor
But we should draw conclusions from anecdotes of magical Northward rooms? Got it.

I don't think there is anything "magical" about Northward rooms. Room acoustic treatment is all about physics and I don't see a reason to think Northward Acoustics is particularly bad at what they do, especially as their clientele is highly dependent on delivering a good enough result to their customers, otherwise, they will not be able to stay in their business for long.

But you sir are of course free to make any stupid conclusion you want, that seems like one of your specialties. ;)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Bass extension is the best I have seen for ATCs do you have a photograph of your room @Torbachkristensen ?
Thanks Keith

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I don't think there is anything "magical" about Northward rooms. Room acoustic treatment is all about physics and I don't see a reason to think Northward Acoustics is particularly bad at what they do, especially as their clientele is highly dependent on delivering a good enough result to their customers, otherwise, they will not be able to stay in their business for long.

But you sir are of course free to make any stupid conclusion you want, that seems like one of your specialties. ;)
I guess they base it on physics only up to 500Hz because as you said they can never draw any conclusions from the room measurements above 500Hz. 10dB drop at the 20kHz and 5dB 7kHz bump ? Nah it's fine and neutral, it's the other monitors that are dull, ATC have that magic midrange

goat76

Major Contributor
I guess they base it on physics only up to 500Hz because as you said they can never draw any conclusions from the room measurements above 500Hz

That was about making conclusions of frequency response out of a "house curve" measurement, and I'm pretty sure Northward Acoustics will not base their room treatments on a room frequency response either, except as a supplement for the area under 500 Hz.

If you have any gated measurements of the ATC SCM200, we can draw some conclusions about the speakers and not the room above 500 Hz.

Last edited:

Torbachkristensen

still better than the nervous coping laugh argument
You draw a 15db sloping target curve to provide an argument - it is laughable. All it shows is that you have zero basis for providing valuable input, and can’t tell a good room from a bad speaker or vice versa. This whole thread is so filled with zero practical knowledge to relate to peoples “measurement” or “science” or whatever you call. None of which the posters have actually done themselves. Tiring.

Last edited:

Torbachkristensen

If you draw it from 20Hz to 20kHz it's even more, I was trying to be nice, however you draw it it's either a 7kHz boost or even bigger HF drop
If you draw it from 20Hz to 20kHz it's even more, I was trying to be nice, however you draw it it's either a 7kHz boost or even bigger HF drop
If you knew how to read a measurement or how mic placement affects something like that, you wouldn’t care so much about this “big HF drop”. It could litterally be the opposite picture within a few inches up or down - which I account for in the original post. But you choose to ignore it and draw the most misconceived “trendline” i have ever seen.

So much “science” on this thread, and so little knowledge.

Top Bottom