• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

tw99

1.Atc sells hifi products speakers, reader cd, power amp at high end price.
Measures availables to justify the price ? No
2. The atc 50 costs the double of a neumann kh420 and 3000 euro more a psi audio a25.
Measures available to justify the price? : no. The weight.
The science, I can see what she becomes with the covid19 festival.
The design of a speaker do not require science but technology.

Authority arguments : i worked 26 years In the refrigeration industry.
Refrigerate 20000m2 is more complex than a speaker design and we don't used the science but the technology available with his calculations.
OK, I think we get it now that if you were designing a studio, you wouldn't use ATC.

But since you have no experience of designing studios, I'm personally a lot more interested in the opinion of the guy who does.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
1.Atc sells hifi products speakers, reader cd, power amp at high end price.
Measures availables to justify the price ? No
2. The atc 50 costs the double of a neumann kh420 and 3000 euro more a psi audio a25.
Measures available to justify the price? : no. The weight.
The science, I can see what she becomes with the covid19 festival.

Authority arguments : i worked 26 years In the refrigeration industry.
Refrigerate 20000m2 is more complex than a speaker design and we don't used the science but the technology available with his calculations.

Never has so much been said with so little knowledge

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I imagine there are a fair number of considerations beyond sound that studios make when selecting monitors, like durability, warranties and support. I don't know this, but ATC have a long history in pro audio and I imagine that their support is pretty robust.

In addition, larger studios are going to already have all the equipment they need for measuring and EQing the speakers to make them suit the room they're used in, so probably don't need that functionality build into the speaker.

This is all speculation on my part, but regardless, I always liked the look of the larger ATC speakers; they look like they mean business on those squat stands. :)

iu

807Recordings

So here we go again with this guy says it so because he has years of experience and insists it is based on actual measurements but does not provide them. Others question this, it then goes into a challenge of said persons authority and the crying of "this is why I do not participate in these forums" starts again.

Why not show some anonymous actual measurements if the clients need to be protected?
No instead we get the forums on this side siding with one person, and others on the other side of the fence of Audio Science asking for some evidence.

This is why it is so hard to have a real forum on Science based measurements as even here it jumps off into a belief system of do not question the authority.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Nope, I merely commented as your posts make zero sense,

"The science, I can see what she becomes with the covid19 festival.

Authority arguments : i worked 26 years In the refrigeration industry."

word salad, stick to chillers.

aac

Why not show some anonymous actual measurements if the clients need to be protected?
No instead we get the forums on this side siding with one person, and others on the other side of the fence of Audio Science asking for some evidence.
Pretty obvious to me that it's NDA with ATC.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Pretty obvious to me that it's NDA with ATC.
Yep. And, to be honest... Even if they don't measure the best, ultimately I've still enjoyed working on them. Actually found it easier to get to a final end result on SCM25s than on my KH310s. I would've bought the SCM25s if they'd been in budget (they most definitely weren't, KH310s were already pushing it).

807Recordings

Yep. And, to be honest... Even if they don't measure the best, ultimately I've still enjoyed working on them. Actually found it easier to get to a final end result on SCM25s than on my KH310s. I would've bought the SCM25s if they'd been in budget (they most definitely weren't, KH310s were already pushing it).
No arguments from me on other factors as even I use at least one set of JBL speakers to check if my tracks have the right feelin for a dance floor. But I don’t jump into a forum defending this choice the skip the actual measured result Claiming this is not audiophile foolery.

i have seen Thomas defend very good positions on acoustics and actually learned lots from him on various posts In the various forum but this does not change the situation here.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Does anyone know why the SCM110 costs less than Scm150?
Screenshot_20211024-190503.jpg
Screenshot_20211024-190348.jpg

aac

There are cars available for those prices. IME ATC = overpriced.
Looks like a common price for monitors that size. Or is it for a single one?
For a pair looks like a competitive price.
Small ATCs are really where they can be considered "overpriced", large ones look fine.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
In the domestic market, THESE ARE CHEAP and may well outperform many high end domestic systems now.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but music mixed on ATC's does seem to translate well to the domestic sh*t it's played on and also to other pro monitoring systems I gather. Thank heavens they don't design for trendy well off mature owners of luxury bling eye-fi, at least not yet ;) It's been said that Genelecs for instance, make *everything* sound good, so it's more difficult to mix properly on them (don't shoot the messenger).

Way out of my price range now, but I regret so much having to sell my 100A's when I married (I still shed tears thinking about it!). Had they been 50A's in walnut, I suspect I'd still have them as they're easier to move around in a domestic situation. UK dealers selling this brand in addition to Naim and Kudos, prefer the latter as the upgrade ladder is so difficult and costly to jump from, a corresponding active setup from these two latter manufacturers being around a hundred grand and sorry, not anywhere near as good to my ears...

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but music mixed on ATC's does seem to translate well to the domestic sh*t it's played on and also to other pro monitoring systems I gather. Thank heavens they don't design for trendy well off mature owners of luxury bling eye-fi, at least not yet ;) It's been said that Genelecs for instance, make *everything* sound good, so it's more difficult to mix properly on them (don't shoot the messenger).
I know this may not please some people, but I don't see why audiophile blabber should have a different value when coming from sound engineers than from consumers.

ATC isn't too bad but clearly left behind by companies whose image doesn't need voodoo, especially on the transparency front (the most important one, I'd say); even more noteworthy when you can read stuff like "All systems and components are designed and built in-house, to achieve levels of performance far in excess of the industry norm. This is achieved by adopting a thoroughly professional engineering approach to the issue of basic design, materials science and production technology." in their front blurb.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Was more objective in Billy's day (I believe he's retired but still around). The thing is, the pro market for huge soffit-mount monitors has dwindled and the domestic side almost certainly become a lifeline. I remember the original (and not too nice) SCM7's for example and back then, wondered why they stooped so low. After I changed direction, the curvy case models came out and were rather more liked, although the carcasses aren't anywhere near as substantial (I cite the 19V2 to the 20SL which costs so much more now - 50% more than inflation alone sadly).

I appreciate I may be alone here, but when I hear any of ATC's current crop from the 11 up (I've not heard the 7 or 25A), I smile warmly and wonder if I can ever own this brand again (maybe used, we'll see). At least interested parties can find domestic dealers who can hopefully demonstrate the popular cheaper models at least (I'd ignore any of the passive three ways though).

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I know this may not please some people, but I don't see why audiophile blabber should have a different value when coming from sound engineers than from consumers.

ATC isn't too bad but clearly left behind by companies whose image doesn't need voodoo, especially on the transparency front (the most important one, I'd say); even more noteworthy when you can read stuff like "All systems and components are designed and built in-house, to achieve levels of performance far in excess of the industry norm. This is achieved by adopting a thoroughly professional engineering approach to the issue of basic design, materials science and production technology." in their front blurb.
They do not write "we build diy speakers since 30 years with the same design and..."

Neumann do not write "we use cheapest woofer equilazed by us.... "

The marketing is king and the voodoo is the basis for all business areas.

Accuphase write in France http://www.accuphase.fr/

Please use Google translate.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Yes but they hide.
On this forum we have a disassembly of a kh 80: Unworthy.
My K+H O300 smells the diy assembly internally.
I do not open my kh420.

In the 90's cabasse with his active speakers did the same thing than Neumann.

At the price per kilo, atc is not expensive. Maybe the weight is the only objective parameter for a speaker.

Top Bottom