• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
^^ You can not conclude a single thing from that video and that goes completely in the direction of user bias:
Different positions, Different Dirac Settings, Different Days.
Basically nothing in that has any useful information.
The actives sound significantly better, and ATC themselves tend to agree Actives are better
So I guess the video has some value to it.

807Recordings

The actives sound significantly better, and ATC themselves tend to agree Actives are better
So I guess the video has some value to it.
The video has no way of proving that as there is just far too many moving targets.
Sure, actives in reality may sound better but we all know here on this forum how to test correctly.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Basically the same specs, both with 12" but ATCs cost $8000 more per pair.
What justifies it?
Screenshot_20211019-003547.jpg
Screenshot_20211019-003622.jpg

JWAmerica

I must ask
ATC monitors are considered to be one of the best if not the best monitors on the planet, it's also a consensus on Gearslutz
But around here they're not very popular
I must understand why :)
REL also has a very good reputation on certain (less objective) forums.

dfuller

Major Contributor
What I can say is that
I actually really like that ATC speaker, love mid domes, but I can take one look and know it's not remotely worth the price. I bet the Genelec has better dispersion/directivity.
it does; I'd rather use the ATC though.

aac

Last edited:

Northward

"appeal to authority" is a bad practice.
And according to sound and recording measurements I would not consider ATC a "honest manufacturer". At all.
Maybe sound and recording measurements are wrong. But there are no other data, so it's the only option I have to use.

You can choose to see it that way. And you can choose to believe sound and recording data.

You can also see it as a designer working on studio designs sharing real life experience from real life big budget projects for very discerning clients in a highly competitive industry.

With very real consequences for my future and the future of my company if the designs don't meet the strict technical benchmarks and quality standards we set. And in fine satisfied clients.

It's not authority, it's my reality. It's food on the table for a lot of people. I'm in engineering, I don't and can't take chances.

The audiophile world is one I avoid actively and do not understand at all.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The ME of Sterling Sound used B&W speakers before.

Thomas you are a great studio designer but you act like an audiophile.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I've probably said this before, but like other well liked smaller UK speaker brands and taking inflation into account, ATC are practically 50% more expensive than they were say, twenty odd years ago. I worked it out that my wife's favourite 20 'Classic' in passive and quite heavy stand mount form and wooden veneer, is now £3750pr when I worked out they should be a grand less in inflation terms. Pro Business did scale back as big studios closed and the need for large twin 15" soffit monitors declined and maybe there became a need to charge more per box to survive. Other more domestic Uk brands have just been caught up in the far eastern audiophile market where the price tag is as if not more important than any performance virtues. Some UK dealer chains demand more profit margin as well, so we buyers suffer.

ATC's bigger models do seem built like brick out-houses though and this can't be cheap to engineer. Compared to some inferior domestic lines costing far more, they're still bargains, if out of my range now.

Mind you, the average speaker tested here is often available online with smaller supplier margins I feel and the march of affordable technology means we don't need to spend so much to get a great sound and performance at home now.

Northward

The ME of Sterling Sound used B&W speakers before.

Thomas you are a great studio designer but you act like an audiophile.
What makes you think this way? Can you elaborate?

We're purely science/engineering oriented. The designs are based on hard numbers. There is no guess work, ever.

The opposite of my experience with Audiophiles.

killdozzer

Major Contributor

We're purely science/engineering oriented. The designs are based on hard numbers. There is no guess work, ever.

I don't think he can. He never does. It seems to me he knows very little and hopes to compensate with swagger and attitude.

Frgirard

Major Contributor

1.Atc sells hifi products speakers, reader cd, power amp at high end price.
Measures availables to justify the price ? No
2. The atc 50 costs the double of a neumann kh420 and 3000 euro more a psi audio a25.
Measures available to justify the price? : no. The weight.
The science, I can see what she becomes with the covid19 festival.
The design of a speaker do not require science but technology.

Authority arguments : i worked 26 years In the refrigeration industry.
Refrigerate 20000m2 is more complex than a speaker design and we don't used the science but the technology available with his calculations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom