• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

dfuller

Major Contributor
The highlighted portion of your post is not consistent with the remainder of your post ...... particularly the childish and vulgar language.
Clearly you've never been in a studio. :D

YSC

Major Contributor
Wow there's so much hate here from (seemingly) people who are far too technical for their own good. I am a working producer & songwriter with alot of the biggest artists in the world and for what it's worth - in my experience working creatively, the SCM25a's are among the best (easily top 2 if not #1) near field monitors I've ever used. IF you want to make music that makes money - midrange is where it's at (in streaming, radio and all main playbacks where END consumers are concerned - audiophiles be damned music is for everyone). In this regard, ATC has mastered midrange clarity over every other vendor imo and anyone who says otherwise is, as I said earlier, probably a technical loser who doesn't understand the balance of making great songs with great equipment - nobody gives a fuck about your stupid graphs and pyschoacoustic bullshit - all of that is circle jerk after a certain point.
All that to say - SCM 25a's are amazing - the 45's even more stunning but both great options and totally worth the money.
So apparently those who worked in studios don't use ATC but still make great selling music are also technical loser... yea that's convincing. And mastering the mid-range clarity without proof of any element of measurement being way ahead of other driver makers is as convincing as any internet claims here and there, during design of the drivers, ATC themselves do the in house measurements and strive for specific target and trade offs, with the stupid graphs

goat76

Major Contributor
So apparently those who worked in studios don't use ATC but still make great selling music are also technical loser...

He never said that. You reply in a similar way like a woman when you say she looks beautiful today, and she replies: Do you think I looked ugly yesterday? :D

YSC

Major Contributor
He never said that. You reply in a similar way like a woman when you say she looks beautiful today, and she replies: Do you think I looked ugly yesterday? :D
"anyone who says otherwise is, as I said earlier, probably a technical loser who doesn't understand the balance of making great songs with great equipment" that is the literal meaning, not everyone in the pro circle praise ATC nor everyone in pro circle say it's good, but saying it's best while no objective proof is like... ok, I have the best ear and so this is absolute best in X category.

*just claiming the midrange is magical and best for ATC or say, "insert your brand here" is the best in accuracy or most transparent, true to life without proof of say, neutrality, lowest distortion or fastest transient response.

Last edited:

goat76

Major Contributor
"anyone who says otherwise is, as I said earlier, probably a technical loser who doesn't understand the balance of making great songs with great equipment" that is the literal meaning, not everyone in the pro circle praise ATC nor everyone in pro circle say it's good, but saying it's best while no objective proof is like... ok, I have the best ear and so this is absolute best in X category.

*just claiming the midrange is magical and best for ATC or say, "insert your brand here" is the best in accuracy or most transparent, true to life without proof of say, neutrality, lowest distortion or fastest transient response.

He clearly stated that the things he said was in his own opinion.

“and for what it's worth - in my experience working creatively, the SCM25a's are among the best (easily top 2 if not #1) near field monitors I've ever used.”

YSC

Major Contributor
He clearly stated that the things he said was in his own opinion.

“and for what it's worth - in my experience working creatively, the SCM25a's are among the best (easily top 2 if not #1) near field monitors I've ever used.”
And that is as useful an information as others saying the ATC mid dome isn't that great compared to others in other's opinion no?

That is precisely why for most the objective "BS" graphs are appreciated among a lot of lurker here, everyone can claim their favourite is the best or better than other's setup, but the objective result is the fair judge.

goat76

Major Contributor
And that is as useful an information as others saying the ATC mid dome isn't that great compared to others in other's opinion no?

That is precisely why for most the objective "BS" graphs are appreciated among a lot of lurker here, everyone can claim their favourite is the best or better than other's setup, but the objective result is the fair judge.

And he has the right to think that many people here read to much into the specs. He never said they are completely useless. Things are not either just black or white.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What about Harman’s research?
Well...kind of. By the number of "I hate the Harman Curve!" threads, it's not completely effective lol.

tuga

Major Contributor
Well...kind of. By the number of "I hate the Harman Curve!" threads, it's not completely effective lol.
Not just that but also the speaker preference ratings.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not just that but also the speaker preference ratings.
Long before Harman made it "official", every competent designer was striving for flat on-axis and smooth directivity off-axis. So the findings weren't exactly Earth-shaking. It was nice to see comprehensive validation, though.

YSC

Major Contributor
Long before Harman made it "official", every competent designer was striving for flat on-axis and smooth directivity off-axis. So the findings weren't exactly Earth-shaking. It was nice to see comprehensive validation, though.
can't agree more, I personally treat those as a general reference, and consider some major difference in the "ratings" be valid while minor ones like 5.0 vs 5.2 as the same class and go for personal model preference

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
can't agree more, I personally treat those as a general reference, and consider some major difference in the "ratings" be valid while minor ones like 5.0 vs 5.2 as the same class and go for personal model preference
Honestly, I was glad the testing shattered the weird "constant power" myth that had built up starting in the 80s. It started as a marketing gimmick, and grew into a mantra.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
Honestly, I was glad the testing shattered the weird "constant power" myth that had built up starting in the 80s. It started as a marketing gimmick, and grew into a mantra.
Which testing?

Avp1

ATC reduced prices in US on "domestic" models to get them in line with prices in UK. Now you can get SCM100ASLT for $25K instead of $33K. SCM50ASL is now $22K.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which testing?
Toole, mainly. His preferred speakers have very noticeable downward slope off-axis at high frequencies. Usually about like a 1" dome tweeter, which may not be a big coincidence.

WillBrink

I’ve heard good things about the 19s, but according to Ben Lilly at ATC, the 40s (both active and passive) are the speakers that are considered by many to be the absolute sweet spot in their speaker lineup. The 50s and up are according to him obviously better speakers but if all things are considered like price, size, and performance, the 40s is probably their most valuable speaker.

Fast forward to 30:14 in this interview and you get his own words on that. :)

Per same page, his review of the 40. I do not get any impression from him he prefers the 40s vs the 19s, and called the 19's the best speakers he's heard in his room to date in his space in his review of the 19s. I still suspect the 19s + good subs is the better option for similar, of not less $:

WillBrink

A British Audiophile finally enlightens us ...

I do not get any impression from him he prefers the 40s vs the 19s, and called the 19's the best speakers he's heard in his room to date in his space in his review of the 19s. I still suspect the 19s + good subs is the better option for similar, of not less $.

Berlin

I do not get any impression from him he prefers the 40s vs the 19s, and called the 19's the best speakers he's heard in his room to date in his space in his review of the 19s. I still suspect the 19s + good subs is the better option for similar, of not less $.
I am glad that I could get rid of my 40s (and 11s eventually). The Neumann KH150 do offer so much more for the money...

Top Bottom