• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's interesting is that the Resolution measurements don't show that massive midbass hump. There is one, but nowhere to the same degree. Wonder what's going on there?
I think the difference looks bigger than it is (4-5 dB @S&R vs 2-3dB @Res) and personally would trust the measurements of the S&R more, the Resolution measurement shows also a too small difference better open and closed port so I think its bass region measurement suffers on the typical problems of measuring in a normal room:

1667576346011.png

YSC

Major Contributor
I have to agree, the 50ASLs sound substantially better than the 25As or 45As. I've not heard the 20ASLs.

What's interesting is that the Resolution measurements don't show that massive midbass hump. There is one, but nowhere to the same degree. Wonder what's going on there?
could be the room measurement technique causing the apparent bass boost, or just as the KH80 DSP from Amirm, where the temperature played a role.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think the difference looks bigger than it is (4-5 dB @S&R vs 2-3dB @Res) and personally would trust the measurements of the S&R more, the Resolution measurement shows also a too small difference better open and closed port so I think its bass region measurement suffers on the typical problems of measuring in a normal room:

View attachment 241125
It looks like it's about 2dB there and about 6dB on S&R's. That's a large discrepancy to me. I'm admittedly not sure of how Resolution measures or what their methodology looks like, but given they have CSD down to the bass range that implies to me that it's somehow free field (be it outside way up high, or in a good anechoic chamber).

But beyond that, the measurements are so different that I'd have a hard time believing they're the same speaker. Apologies for the poor quality - GIMP is not my strong suit!

But yeah, big big differences below ~100hz and above ~5khz.

1667587813440.png

Last edited:

goat76

Major Contributor
I don't think the measurement in red is very representative of an ATC speaker, that bass bump and the elevation of the high frequency can't be right.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I don't think the measurement in red is very representative of an ATC speaker, that bass bump and the elevation of the high frequency can't be right.
I have to agree - every time I've used the 25s they mostly came off as "pretty flat, for the most part". They're not the be-all end-all, as they substantially lack bottom end IME (there's definitely a midbass hump, it's just not that severe) but they don't have that top end brightness.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound is moving air. How a speaker moves air in 3D space is something we are able to readily capture. We can then correlate this to how our hearing system processes this moving air.

Don't get why so many "engineers" want to add mystique to something that we know a fair bit about. Oh wait, they haven't read the science. It astounds me that people would dare to call themselves "engineers" without having even heard of some of the most foundational research in acoustics and perception in their lives (someone further up the thread not even knowing who Toole is?!)

Over here, we are not taken by self-declared authority on a subject.

YSC

Major Contributor
It looks like it's about 2dB there and about 6dB on S&R's. That's a large discrepancy to me. I'm admittedly not sure of how Resolution measures or what their methodology looks like, but given they have CSD down to the bass range that implies to me that it's somehow free field (be it outside way up high, or in a good anechoic chamber).

But beyond that, the measurements are so different that I'd have a hard time believing they're the same speaker. Apologies for the poor quality - GIMP is not my strong suit!

But yeah, big big differences below ~100hz and above ~5khz.

View attachment 241160
Below 100 looks like nearfield summing up issue also present in stereophile measurement, the other one looks like it’s affected by temperature and the mild dip above looks similar, above 5khz I believe it’s more like the issue when poor directivity comes in play, measurement axis moved a little bit in this 3 way and bang, tonality is quite different

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It astounds me that people would dare to call themselves "engineers" without having even heard of some of the most foundational research in acoustics and perception in their lives ...
The noun "engineer" derives from Old French via Middle English and from the beginning meant "one who runs or supervises an engine". An "engine" was originally an ingenious machine that did clever things, usually with yarn or thread. (The "gin" in "cotton gin" is a vernacular contraction of "engine".)

Later, "engines" deemed worthy of supervision by "engineers" became seen as larger and heavier, and especially locomotive. Thus the role was always practical and operational, and no education into the science behind the machine was ever offered or expected.

But also, the increasing subtlety and sophistication of the machines led to the verb "to engineer" - but it was a negative coinage, in that it meant "to carry through an enterprise by skillful or artful contrivance".

I'm happy to claim that one too.

The audiophiles hate the audio engineers and the audio science nerds, the audio science nerds hate the audiophiles and the audio engineers, the audio engineers hate the audio science nerds and the audiophiles. The fans listening to low quality streams on earbuds and laptop speakers are universally detested by all. It's all a bit sophomoric and polarised, isn't it? Looking down on others from one's ivory tower. It's sometimes easy to lose sight of the fact that we are all music lovers. We should focus on what unites us, in the spirit of open discussion, IMHO.

I dunno, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not really sure this is the right place for me. :( Same with the GearSpace and Steve Hoffman forums. Too much snobbery in all of them.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
No one is forcing you to contribute here.
Keith

dfuller

Major Contributor
Not sure whether a link to the Hi Fi Critic test of the passive ATC 50 has been posted before, but here it is:

Comments, FWTAW, on the active version here:

Overall, that's... pretty decent, I'd say. Not perfect but certainly pretty good. Distortion performance is quite impressive, especially in the bass - that's a genuinely impressive result for a 9" driver.

I would personally quite like a pair of the SCM50 ASLs.

al2002

The FR around 4K is ragged, crossover problems? Above 5 kHz the treble is elevated. Wonder if the active version is better. I’d go for the Neumann 420 myself.

YSC

Major Contributor
The FR around 4K is ragged, crossover problems? Above 5 kHz the treble is elevated. Wonder if the active version is better. I’d go for the Neumann 420 myself.
The deviation is still minor with general neutrality present though, or would it be the tweeter alignment being off center? The minor elevation shelve maybe to compensate off axis drop off, just wild guess, still very decent speaker but for the size and price I would opt for something else

dfuller

Major Contributor
The FR around 4K is ragged, crossover problems?
Most likely from a breakup mode of the mid dome, yes. IMO ATC would do well to run the mid/tweeter crossover a touch lower, maybe more like 2.8-3k rather than 3.5k as they're really running the midrange at the bleeding limits of its passband. It doesn't help that they're relatively limited on how close together the tweeter and mid centers can be because of the absolutely fuck-off huge ferrite magnet they use on the mid dome (maybe it's me, but I feel like swapping to neodymium motors could do some good there...), which of course shows up in the vertical directivity. More dispersion control on the tweeter would help improve the even-ness of off-axis response, and I don't think that's impossible or even particularly difficult.

Above 5 kHz the treble is elevated.
Yeah, but the measurements indicate that it's no worse than +2.5dB at worst. Still, flatter would be better, and more even off-axis behavior would be as well.

YSC

Major Contributor
More dispersion control on the tweeter would help improve the even-ness of off-axis response, and I don't think that's impossible or even particularly difficult.

Yeah, but the measurements indicate that it's no worse than +2.5dB at worst. Still, flatter would be better, and more even off-axis behavior would be as well.
That’s along this post all I hope they could do, refine the tweeter dispersion by say a waveguide, change corner geometry a bit to fix some dispersion issue and bang the SOTA contender from old pro brand comes.

Top Bottom