• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR should review IEMs

spartaman64

IEMs are easier to tune than headphones so a lot more of them have good frequency responses especially on the low end. I think amir would be very impressed by a lot of iems.

Hewbacca

Why are they easier to tune than headphones? I am in learning mode and hadn't heard that before. It tracks with what I'm experiencing though.

OP
S

spartaman64

Why are they easier to tune than headphones? I am in learning mode and hadn't heard that before. It tracks with what I'm experiencing though.
much simpler geometry since they are basically just cylinders. and you can have multiple drivers and do basically what speakers do and have different drivers for certain frequency ranges

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But it works in IEMs?

The Nuraphones are a bit of a cheat in the terms you are thinking anyway. I believe they are a "big" dynamic driver in the cups with that tube thing in the middle housing a small tweeter of sorts.

OP
S

spartaman64

What prevents one from having multiple drivers in over-ear headphones?
well you will hear the sound coming from different parts of the headphone. while in an iem you can merge all of the cylinders together or at least have them close enough that you dont hear a difference

Hewbacca

Ah that makes sense. Thanks! I would also love to see more IEM reviews, I have a tough time finding objective info on IEMs.

Tks

Major Contributor
Sure, just send them to Amir, he'll measure them.

PabloT

Nothing https://www.nuraphone.com/products/...MImO2D073e8QIVjN_tCh096QHkEAAYASABEgLh8_D_BwE

Whether they are objectively any good and can sound remotely decent without significant DSP is another matter.

Other examples of multi driver headphones that come to mind are:
Enigmacoustics Dharma D1000 and 1MORE triple driver.
I also think multi drivers are used in IEMs mainly because of armature drivers supposedly can't reproduce the full spectrum. My ears with Etymotics inserted kinda disagree, but I'm no expert.
I guess if it wasn't for cone breakup and other issues, single driver speakers would be ideal. So in the end, I suppose it wouldn't make sense to add the complexity of crossovers on headphones if the development costs can be better utilized elsewhere in the design.

PabloT

Sure, just send them to Amir, he'll measure them.

Can his current rig (GRAS 45CA) measure IEMs?
Most IEM measurements I have seen use a different type of fixture, and like other measurement gear, it doesn't look cheap!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Can his current rig (GRAS 45CA) measure IEMs?
Most IEM measurements I have seen use a different type of fixture, and like other measurement gear, it doesn't look cheap!
Of course it can.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

PabloT

Top Bottom