• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Recommended Cartridges?

nothingman

I know this forum isn’t exactly a hotbed of phono audio, but thought I’d ask if there are a few cartridges that people generally consider to be accurate and high performing for the money, in the usual ASR style.

For reference, my analog chain (which yes does include ADC-DSP-DAC) is:

Cartridge: Audio-Technica VM95ML
Turntable: Technics SL-1200GR
Phono stage: Parasound Zphono XRM
Preamp/DSP/Dirac: miniDSP SHD
Power amp: NAD C298
Speakers: KEF LS50 Meta

Apart from the cartridge, these components have all been chosen because they are reliable performers with measurements that prove accuracy and bang-for-the-buck value.

I chose the VM95ML because I wanted something proven, mainstream, relatively inexpensive, and with the best stylus profile for the money, and I don’t think you can do any better than the VM95ML in that regard.

I’m quite happy with the VM95ML, but not enough to satisfy me forever, and I assume such a budget cartridge is missing some of the real magic of vinyl (such as it exists). Now I’m looking for the next step, towards something even more accurate, quiet, dynamic, vivid, that tracks even better perhaps, and that is a good compliance match for the SL-1200GR tonearm (medium compliance is best). Budget is slightly flexible, let’s say $600, but I’m open to hearing more about the best cartridges at a particular price point.

Last thing: my phono stage can handle just about any cartridge and has adjustable loading and gain and all that, so don’t feel constrained on MM vs MC and whether I can get the best out of it. Turntable to phono stage is 2ft of BJC LC-1 so cable capacitance is absolutely minimal. All that stuff should be fine. Thank you!

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I know this forum isn’t exactly a hotbed of phono audio, but thought I’d ask if there are a few cartridges that people generally consider to be accurate and high performing for the money, in the usual ASR style.

For reference, my analog chain (which yes does include ADC-DSP-DAC) is:

Cartridge: Audio-Technica VM95ML
Turntable: Technics SL-1200GR
Phono stage: Parasound Zphono XRM
Preamp/DSP/Dirac: miniDSP SHD
Power amp: NAD C298
Speakers: KEF LS50 Meta

Apart from the cartridge, these components have all been chosen because they are reliable performers with measurements that prove accuracy and bang-for-the-buck value.

I chose the VM95ML because I wanted something proven, mainstream, relatively inexpensive, and with the best stylus profile for the money, and I don’t think you can do any better than the VM95ML in that regard.

I’m quite happy with the VM95ML, but not enough to satisfy me forever, and I assume such a budget cartridge is missing some of the real magic of vinyl (such as it exists). Now I’m looking for the next step, towards something even more accurate, quiet, dynamic, vivid, that tracks even better perhaps, and that is a good compliance match for the SL-1200GR tonearm (medium compliance is best). Budget is slightly flexible, let’s say $600, but I’m open to hearing more about the best cartridges at a particular price point.

Last thing: my phono stage can handle just about any cartridge and has adjustable loading and gain and all that, so don’t feel constrained on MM vs MC and whether I can get the best out of it. Turntable to phono stage is 2ft of BJC LC-1 so cable capacitance is absolutely minimal. All that stuff should be fine. Thank you!
It is very difficult to recommend something like a cartridge to someone unknown. But since I use a Audio Technica Catridge as well (At 440 Mla) I give it a try. My recommendation is the Ortofon 2M Black. Will be my next cartridge and I used to sell it when I was connected to the industry. Very accurate but not as sensible to capacity of the phono amp like most of the ATs. And in addition to its accuracy it is capable of real tight bass and a well organized sound stage.
It is not cheap for a MM but to me it is a lot of bang for the buck. Especially when one looks at the awful lot of overpriced and anemic MCs out there. But keep in mind that is has to be properly mounted due to its sharp cut stylus.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I decided to try the VM540, and have been pretty happy. I have a number of cartridges, and it is hard to complain about it. I feel like I'd have to spend a lot more to get meaningful (to me) improvements.

Tom C

Major Contributor
This question comes up in various forms from time to time. I haven’t yet seen a conclusive answer. I think that there aren’t that many measurements out there. So “we’ll” have to do our own, in many cases. That is, those who have the equipment to do so.

OP
N

nothingman

It is very difficult to recommend something like a cartridge to someone unknown. But since I use a Audio Technica Catridge as well (At 440 Mla) I give it a try. My recommendation is the Ortofon 2M Black.

Thanks, and to be clearer, I was trying to remove the need for a personalized recommendation. In every other forum, it’s basically “tell us what kind of sound you prefer?” whereas in ASR the starting point is accuracy + performance and having measurements to prove it.

That said, thanks for the 2M Black recommendation. It has a reputation, and some amateur measurements (at Hoffman and SABF forums), that indicate it’s fairly accurate. That’s the sort of cartridge I was thinking of.

This question comes up in various forms from time to time. I haven’t yet seen a conclusive answer. I think that there aren’t that many measurements out there. So “we’ll” have to do our own, in many cases. That is, those who have the equipment to do so.

I hope to see the day! It’s getting a little boring to see all these super competent DACs and amps. We need to spice things up with wildly varying cartridges with all sorts of compromises and false manufacturer promises.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is very difficult to recommend something like a cartridge to someone unknown. But since I use a Audio Technica Catridge as well (At 440 Mla) I give it a try. My recommendation is the Ortofon 2M Black. Will be my next cartridge and I used to sell it when I was connected to the industry. Very accurate but not as sensible to capacity of the phono amp like most of the ATs. And in addition to its accuracy it is capable of real tight bass and a well organized sound stage.
It is not cheap for a MM but to me it is a lot of bang for the buck. Especially when one looks at the awful lot of overpriced and anemic MCs out there. But keep in mind that is has to be properly mounted due to its sharp cut stylus.

the 2M series in general is very good bang for the buck and has flat frequency response.

I got the 2M Blue and it's quite good. I'm only limited by LPs quality control now.

OP
N

nothingman

the 2M series in general is very good bang for the buck and has flat frequency response.

I got the 2M Blue and it's quite good. I'm only limited by LPs quality control now.

I would just say I’ve found a significant improvement in tracking performance by going to line contact stylus versus an elliptical, the latter of which was the stylus shape on both my old AT-7V and 2M Blue. I‘m mostly after a flat frequency response here, but I would insist on line contact, Shibata, or other advanced shape for a reference cartridge in the imagined price range.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Thanks, and to be clearer, I was trying to remove the need for a personalized recommendation. In every other forum, it’s basically “tell us what kind of sound you prefer?” whereas in ASR the starting point is accuracy + performance and having measurements to prove it.
Well... That's the thing about vinyl. There is so much nonlinearity going on that it really does come down to a taste thing. Figure cartridges, tone arms, phono stages (but especially the cartridges and tone arms) may aim for a flat response but for the most part they really, well... aren't. These are exceptionally fine transducers, but they are still transducers.

Fazeshift

I agree that cartridge selection is quite subjective, and unfortunately isn't easy for most people to arrange an audition.

I also have a Technics SL-1200GR, connected with Blue Jeans Cable, but to a Schiit Mani. I am running the AT VM540ML. I also have the VMN50SH stylus. (I noticed that Shibata stylus is only sold with the VM7xx series cart, but AT's own documentation confirms compatibility, and I cannot find anything that suggests the cart body difference between is anything but cosmetic between VM5xx and VM7xx.) I would absolutely recommend either of these options. I also added the KAB USA fluid damping tonearm add-on. While the VM540ML is already a good match for the GR's medium-mass tonearm, the damping proved to be more effective than I anticipated. I did testing before/after using Shure Audio Obstacle Course (type V) test record, resonance test. The VM540ML cruised through all of the other tracking tests with ease.

I purchased my gear in 2018, before the VM95 series was announced. I appreciate all of the stylus choices and ease of threaded screw inserts, but I think the coil design was mostly inherited from the AT95E. The specs show the advanced stylus shapes do make a noticeable improvement, but might be leaving something on the table, particularly for channel separation.

Between the microline and Shibata stylus shapes, it is hard for me to choose a winner. The Shibata might have a more refined sound overall. I don't have hard data, but I think the Shibata has a little more middle frequency (perhaps that "Shibata sound" term I often see?) than the microline.

I was lucky enough to be able to audition my SL-1200GR in person, with an Ortofon 2M Black. I enjoyed its performance, but I had a hard time with the $1000 price. The 2M bronze (fine line stylus) is the same cart body for half the price - just seems like such a premium for a Shibata stylus. Even though I couldn't audition the AT carts first, I couldn't ignore the performance value.

For content - I'm not a vinyl "purist." I want to listen to my Dad's vinyl collection (mostly late 60's to 80's rock and variants) and pull the maximum amount of detail from groove. I have owned some budget elliptical carts (AT95E, Shure M97xe) and while some like "warm" rolled-off highs, that's not my thing. It sounds like we share the preference for the advanced stylus shapes.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I also have a 1210GR, but with a Cambridge Duo phono. My favorite of the 4 cartridges I have based on accurate frequency response, tracking ability, and forgiveness of load capacitance is my KAB ProS-40. It's a Concorde cartridge with Stylus 40. I love it.

My other cartridges, in order of preference, are AT VM740ML, AT VM95ML, and 2m Black.

The ATs are excellent trackers, but have audible treble boost. My VM95ML also starts rolling off early, around 12KHz so it loses the upper treble air.

My 2m Black is my worst because it's a terrible tracker. I don't know if I got a bad one or what but it mistracks often causing audible distortion. Total ripoff for me.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
For the money the Denon 103 is hard to beat. If your arm does not have enough mass, you can get the 103 cartridge cap - it acts as a spacer and increases mass. Load - 470 ohms with 60 db gain works fine.

Robin L

Master Contributor
OP
N

nothingman

I also have a 1210GR, but with a Cambridge Duo phono. My favorite of the 4 cartridges I have based on accurate frequency response, tracking ability, and forgiveness of load capacitance is my KAB ProS-40. It's a Concorde cartridge with Stylus 40. I love it.

Oh, that’s an interesting suggestion. I had forgotten about those KAB Concordes. I know they’re a bit polarizing but they certainly fit my minimalist aesthetic taste if nothing else. Something like the 30 or 40 level styli could be up my alley.

If you're looking for measurements of recent cartridges, check out Hi-Fi Choice.
[An example, with links to other cartridge reviews]:
Rega Ania Pro | Hi-Fi Choice (hifichoice.com)

Thanks. Those measurements have been helpful to me but at the same time it’s a pretty small selection and not a search friendly website. Wish we could get them to modernize and improve because they’re just about the only ones who do what they do, including on TT reviews.

valrak66

As above, I'd say it's quite dificult to recommand any cartridge. In fact there is too many factors that produce the analog sound of a record.

One thing you should take in mind, is to find a cartridge with a compliance that match your tonearm.
Also, capacitance should match your phono preamp.

musicforcities

Even from an objective/measurement perspective, general recommendations for cartridges are challenging because much depends on the pairing with the tonearm (cartridge compliance to tonearm effective mass) and even the table geometry or motor placement itself in a few cases (grado carts can pick up motor hum of some tables, for example).

I am still mourning the discontinuation of the high output moving coil denon dl 110. I have one on a thorens td126 mkII with the tp16 mk1 arm and it is wonderful. And it was good value for what it was. Now prices have skyrocketed as it seems to be discontinued. When it’s time to retip it I may cry.

levimax

Major Contributor
I have technics SL 1300 and have an AT VM 540ML and a Denon 103R. I recently got an AT33PTG/II and I find it a significant upgrade compared to either cart. As far as measurements go the VM540ML has the typical MM response "hump" while the 103R measures "flat" (relatively speaking). The AT33PTG is almost as flat FR as the Denon (a little dip centered around 8KHz) but tracks much better than the 103R and a little better than the VM540 ML. It also plays older / damaged records quieter / less distortion probably due to the fine line contact stylus. It would work well on your TT .... check it out.

musicforcities

I have technics SL 1300 and have an AT VM 540ML and a Denon 103R. I recently got an AT33PTG/II and I find it a significant upgrade compared to either cart. As far as measurements go the VM540ML has the typical MM response "hump" while the 103R measures "flat" (relatively speaking). The AT33PTG is almost as flat FR as the Denon (a little dip centered around 8KHz) but tracks much better than the 103R and a little better than the VM540 ML. It also plays older / damaged records quieter / less distortion probably due to the fine line contact stylus. It would work well on your TT .... check it out.
Thanks I’ll check it out. The thorens tonearm can be tricky vis a vis compliance. So it’s great to find additional options. Still, The dl115 is a cool thing. Tracks anything on the thorens without much surface noise. Looks cool too with it red marbled body, suitably retro. And easy to align.

musicforcities

the nagaoka mp-110 is often recommended for the thorens or other desks with relatively high effective mass arms. I have not tried it. It seems twice the price it was a couple years ago however.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
the nagaoka mp-110 is often recommended for the thorens or other desks with relatively high effective mass arms. I have not tried it. It seems twice the price it was a couple years ago however.
I tested the mp-110 a few years ago and it is fine cartridge. I did not keep it because my old Merrill Heirloom turntable had a peripheral clamping ring. The mp-110 is close enough to the record surface the body would contact the clamping ring at the beginning of the record. My new table - Clearaudio Performance DC with Satisfy Carbon tonearm - has no clamping ring and avoids that issue. I have tried the Denon 103 < $300 list, Clearaudio Maestro 2 $1500 list, and the Hana SL $750 list. The Maestro came with the table - package deal - and being a MM line contact 3.6 MV output works pretty well with good phono stages. The Denon MC 0.35 MV spherical is a little more finicky being low compliance but matched properly to the tonearm is outstanding. The Hana MC 0.5 MV Shibata is simply fantastic - at least using it on this table and arm combination. Various publications have measured / tested all 3 cartridges and that can be researched with some Google help. Anything I say here is all subjective based on real world use. Setup wise the Denon is the easiest being spherical diamond makes it less sensitive to VTA but if your arm is low mass you will need to add some mass. Something to keep in mind.

Denon 103 - 60 db gain 470 ohm load - outstanding bass response and good midrange. Highs are slightly rolled off.

Maestro 2 - 40 db gain 47K ohm load - a MM that sounds like a MC. The boron cantilever and line contact HD diamond help it a lot. This cartridge sounds "exciting" and seems to be missing the solid bass of the Denon. Recommended capacitance is 100 pf which presents a problem with the cable on the Satisfy arm plus my phono-stage input capacitance -272 pf. With 420 mH inductance the resonance peak is 14.9 KHZ. A zero capacitance input phono stage would help here by moving the peak to 18.7 KHZ which my phono stage does not allow. I also cannot change the cable so am stuck with at least 172 pf in any case. A good cartridge for sure but is sensitive to capacitance loading - something to keep in mind.

Hana SL - 60 db gain > 400 ohms loading. I settled on 1000 ohms. The "just right" of the three. Bass, midrange, and treble - great tonal balance.

Since mounting the Hana a month ago it has been almost exclusively vinyl listening. Digital only one time and I like my digital front end. The Hana is simply "easy" to listen to. Perhaps with a better capacitance match the Maestro 2 would be better, but for now the Hana is the ticket.

raindance

Major Contributor
I use the AT VM540ML because I like to listen to all the tracks on my LP's and this is the least expensive stylus that exhibits almost no IGD. My preamp has a tilt tone control and I'm using a low capacitance preamp. I used to love the Denon DL110, but with the AT I find I listen to records all the way through. I only have a turntable for albums that aren't available on CD, so didn't want to spend too much.

Also the 540ML works great on my lightweight Pro-ject carbon fiber arm...

Top Bottom