• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR == Anti-Science Review

digicidal

Major Contributor
Unimpeachable? Ah, but an opinion put forth with zero evidence to support it,, did he do DBT to ensure his opinion is based in fact, or simply cause his exwife bought him the amp for a anniversary present in 06? Does the amp exhibit some abnormality in it's measurement?
My point exactly... who cares and can you prove otherwise in either case? Note that the comparison isn't "A is better than B" nor even "A should be avoided" - simply "I tried both and preferred one". Would it be easier if it was the Benchmark AHB2 vs PrimaLuna ProLogue? There shouldn't be any doubt that there are some pretty significant audible differences likely there!

I could do an ABX 100 times of a country song against anything else - and always prefer "anything else" (and 0% probability of guessing). Does it matter if I was raped by a cowboy in 06 or I just hate the sound? :p Is there a need for evidence in a pure preference? Now if I were saying "no one should like country music because it's not music"... then you'd have plenty of grounds to dispute that opinion.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
On Jan-2019:

According to the Community Associations Institute: An estimated 50 million Americans live in association-governed communities. Some 1.25 million people serve on community association boards, with another 300,000-plus serving as committee members. About 6,000 to 8,000 new community associations are formed every year.

digicidal

Major Contributor
On Jan-2019:
According to the Community Associations Institute: An estimated 50 million Americans live in association-governed communities. Some 1.25 million people serve on community association boards, with another 300,000-plus serving as committee members. About 6,000 to 8,000 new community associations are formed every year.

So if we conservatively assume that means ~20 million households (2.5 each) and an average of $50/mo (I said conservatively after all)...
At least $1 billion dollars annually is spent keeping neighbors from doing what they want, with real estate they paid for... seems about right. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
On Jan-2019:

Seems like a mass turn-the-music-down movement. ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So if we conservatively assume that means ~20 million households (2.5 each) and an average of $50/mo (I said conservatively after all)...
At least $1 billion dollars annually is spent keeping neighbors from doing what they want, with real estate they paid for... seems about right. ;)

A house in a HOA is a deal breaker for me. I don't work and play well enough with others for that to be remotely feasible...

digicidal

Major Contributor
Seems like a mass turn-the-music-down movement. ;)
In reality, like almost anything in this country IMO... it's more a case of 1 million under-employed attorneys and real estate brokers figuring out yet another way of forcing everyone to pony up more cash. :rolleyes:

There are probably many well-intentioned, community-run associations who's boards are reasonable people simply seeking to preserve property values and keep their communities clean and nice for everyone. I've not had the pleasure of living in one of those, but I'm sure they exist.

The ones I've lived in were merely paying high five-figures (or low six) to keep an attorney on retainer - in order to make their many modifications to the bylaws pass muster. Didn't do a good job of maintaining public areas, didn't do a good job of policing their own members - but they did manage to blow all of the money from a building defect settlement and yet made me pay to fix my own wall (which was originally part of the settlement). :mad:

It's easier to sue the government than it is to sue an HOA... at least here.

A house in a HOA is a deal breaker for me. I don't work and play well enough with others for that to be remotely feasible...
Despite the above, I'm actually looking to get a home that's in one again... because the alternative is my mass-procreating neighbors letting their kids run all over the place all the time unsupervised. I'm just a little too young to get into a 55+ community (at least without applying for a waiver which is difficult).

There's really no substitute for a large lot... unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) you've basically got to be a millionaire now to own one here. ;)

Last edited:

KozmoNaut

I'm the vice-chairman of a HOA(-like association) at the ~200-unit condo building where I live.

The horror stories I hear about American HOAs are luckily very foreign here. We mostly just take care of the building and common areas, decide on budgets, prioritize maintenance and handle complaints, which are luckily almost always very small matters.
I couldn't even imagine going full-on crazy micromanagement like some of you describe, I would probably croak from the stress alone :p

digicidal

Major Contributor
I'm the vice-chairman of a HOA(-like association) at the ~200-unit condo building where I live.

The horror stories I hear about American HOAs are luckily very foreign here. We mostly just take care of the building and common areas, decide on budgets, prioritize maintenance and handle complaints, which are luckily almost always very small matters.
I couldn't even imagine going full-on crazy micromanagement like some of you describe, I would probably croak from the stress alone :p

Higher density housing is an area where an HOA isn't optional - can you imagine having to go door to door everytime an elevator needed repair or the roof had a leak? Yikes indeed! It's very different when it's all single-family homes. I'd never even consider buying a condo in a building that didn't have an association of some kind (even if they did exist).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Higher density housing is an area where an HOA isn't optional - can you imagine having to go door to door everytime an elevator needed repair or the roof had a leak? Yikes indeed! It's very different when it's all single-family homes. I'd never even consider buying a condo in a building that didn't have an association of some kind (even if they did exist).

I agree in the condo world there aren't really any great alternatives, as people truly share the same building and real estate to live within.

It seems too many HOA's are run by the absolute worst people to be doing so. Houses on at least a few acres without any HOA attachments are still accessible where I live (North Central MD) so fortunately I don't have to make that tough choice.

Those of you involved in running them...cheers to you. Seems a pretty thankless job for those who are trying to do a good job.

Reminds me of when I was heavily involved in youth coaching... Had to get out of that...people are nuts.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
It's easier to sue the government than it is to sue an HOA... at least here.
That's because you are typically a member of the HOA. HOA's for communities of detached single family homes are relatively recent in many places, here there are numerous choices if you choose to avoid them. It is worthwhile remembering that many join them in order to control their neighbors in the first place.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Parents go so bad here that they banned keeping score in our youth basketball league.

And everybody gets a trophy...because that's how the real world works after all.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
And everybody gets a trophy...because that's how the real world works after all.

True. And the critique of an illogical point is a micro aggression, a form of violence.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
True. And the critique of an illogical point is a micro aggression, a form of violence.

Where's my safe space... I'm feeling triggered...

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Where's my safe space... I'm feeling triggered...

Ok. Calm down, Sir. Get your security blanket. Report back if the feeling doesn't pass and you start feeling "violated". :p

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The anti-ASR thread at AudioAsylum.com is still open for people to post comments - and to see the sockpuppet troll posts and my responses. However, without the prompting and prodding of the sockpuppet, no one is posting in that thread anymore, now that the sockpuppet ID's have apparently been banned. (My posts in the thread included outing him as notorious sockpuppet Andre Marc.)

Thanks to a fellow ASR member for the detective work and private communications with me, I was then able to convince the owner of AudioAsylum.com, an old internet and audio show friend from 1999, of the source of the problems. As a former (early 2000's) participant and tubes forums moderator who doesn't need to post anonymously, I had enough credibility to assist in the dousing the fires of the flame war with the much-appreciated support of the AA owner - I was able to convince him of the sockpuppetry, and he acted on it.

The people at AudioAsylum are good people, and I enjoyed my years there. I am o.k. with their tolerance of audio woo and subjectivism, as long as there are sites like ASR to balance that with efforts to promote science and rational discussions and evaluations. AudioAsylum.com was created over twenty years ago to provide a "playground" for audio enthusiasts, and although it appears to be self supporting, advertising is minimal, and a lot of people like that.

Audio Asylum.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are gated communities near me where maintenance fees are $1,300 per month.

You should note that Houston does not have zoning. Residential areas are kept residential through restricted covenants. Our deed restrictions are enforced by volunteers and we have a civic association with very low voluntary dues.

digicidal

Major Contributor
That's because you are typically a member of the HOA. HOA's for communities of detached single family homes are relatively recent in many places, here there are numerous choices if you choose to avoid them. It is worthwhile remembering that many join them in order to control their neighbors in the first place.
That's why I used the government in the example... it's a similar form of forced participation. You either leave or you're considered to be "opting in" regardless of your preferrence... ;) At least where I live, ~95% of the new homes have HOA's... so if you want one, you must join.

Hypnotoad

That's why I used the government in the example... it's a similar form of forced participation. You either leave or you're considered to be "opting in" regardless of your preferrence... ;) At least where I live, ~95% of the new homes have HOA's... so if you want one, you must join.

And most of them are run by companies now and not the local residents, who enforce draconian rules with military precision.

Top Bottom