• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Article: Understanding Digital Audio Measurements

MLaranjeiras

I know what I can hear... If you're in Southwestern Ontario we can meet up some time, I'll bring two DACs to the local HiFi shop - one -97dB THD+n, and one -107. We'll set them up, I'll play some tracks through both not knowing which DAC is which, and afterwards, I'll identify the DACs!

Proving something online just can't be done... No matter what I do I'll just be accused of lying.

If you are nearby and we do meet, when you learn that I can in fact distinguish between -97 and -107, what will that accomplish? You'll be on here saying I can, and a ton of people will be saying you're wrong and I'm wrong and we're both liars! And if for some reason they can't dispute the results, they'll criticize the method...
"For each solution, some find a problem".

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used silver cables when I had vampire problems.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Yet you continue to talk about different DACs with different THD levels...

It means that content above 7 kHz is not relevant if you can't.

Why can't you verify? You can send through test signals, and check the output, or use Deltawav to compare it to the original. If you don't trust that either, I don't know how to help you...

Well, it doesn't rob us from reasoning and logic
Like with many misled beliefs which are non facts based, it is (almost) impossible to convince the unwilling. Yet you did your best. Thanks.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At least we have determined that we are indeed, deaf.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good. So, forget the copper. Get some fence wire. It's cheaper and transmits electrons
And if you have kids you can electrify it to keep little hands off the drivers.

Barrelhouse Solly

Would you please share this article. Would be great to see it here. Could be used as a reference whenever discussions like this will pop up.
Sorry, I bought it at the grocery store. I think it was Audio, but I'm not sure.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know what I can hear...
No, you don't know, you only think you know because your unwilling to put your belief system to tightly bias controlled testing.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thats "Mexican Coke" vs. "Georgia Coke" so apples and oranges. Mostly because one uses sugar and the other uses corn syrup. Yech. :)
Pepsi got on that ride a while back, it's everywhere now.

III-V

great article @amirm ! I have done some of these measurements myself, although never on audio equipment. I have about a decade of lab experience in Rf & uW land testing anything from dc blocks to SotA GaN and other emerging technologies from DC to 160+ Ghz. So I have some experience with PA testing, PA design, on-wafer transistor testing (gain compression, load pull, harmonic load pull, intermodulation distortion testing, S-parameters, noise figure, noise parameters, flicker noise) and transistor modeling as well. That said, I haven't done much in the digital world so I really appreciate you sharing your measurements and methodology here with us.

Top Bottom