• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Youtube reviews of audio gear only allowed to be presented by dudes?

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

GDK

Forum Donor
Perhaps lets go back to your original post where you mentioned that "I know that there are plenty of expert female audio and recording engineers and producers". While this might be entirely true subjectively in your case (perhaps for every 10 male producers you personally know of 4 female which is a significant amount), it's probably not a good representation of reality. A quick google search from a number of sources tells me that only about 1-3% of music producers are female. You also have to look at the demographics of youtube in general, which is a largely male-dominated platform (as high as 60-80% in most categories). A majority of female youtube viewership is makeup, haircare, animal, or pop music videos. Tech-oriented youtube is biased as high as 80-95% male. From this I can infer that for every 200-1000 male youtubers in this category you will probably get about 1 female content creator on average, assuming we're talking about stuff to do with music production/equipment. Given how there are probably only a few hundred popular music-equipment specific channels to begin with, that alone explains why you see virtually zero females making these videos, and I'm not sure why that's a surprise to anyone.

Going back to my original point we can suppose that anyone taking hours out of their day to make and edit dedicated videos to audio equipment (let alone entire channels about it) are probably to some degree highly obsessive about the interest which psychological personality statistics tells us is biased towards males. Assertiveness/authoritativeness (giving one's opinion or trying to convince others) is also a trait biased towards males. Argumentativeness and competition (whether it's conscious or unconscious) is hand in hand with audiophilia and these are also psychological traits that are skewed in the favour and interest of men. The list goes on. My point was that even if there was total equality in people who enjoyed the hobby, there would still not be equality in those at its forefront or making videos or content about it, or taking it to the extremes as we so often see online. Taking things to extremes is almost an entirely male domain.
As someone who’s genuinely interested in gender psychology, I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of any studies that support your assertions in the second paragraph of your post.

jae

Major Contributor
As someone who’s genuinely interested in gender psychology, I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of any studies that support your assertions in the second paragraph of your post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits#Gender_differences here's a good place to start, you can follow those citations and other cited works of these.

Gender Differences in Personality across the Ten Aspects of the Big Five (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3149680/).

I find this topic largely comes down to understanding things like the relevance of outlier determination in bimodal distributions of personality assessments, and making some intuitive conclusions on how it could pertain to success in general, or applied to understanding the dynamics of certain activities, vocations, etc. Topics like gender preferences and pathological disparities in OCD/ADHD/autism spectrum disorders with respect to gender also definitely play a role in this broad interpretation.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Perhaps lets go back to your original post where you mentioned that "I know that there are plenty of expert female audio and recording engineers and producers". While this might be entirely true subjectively in your case (perhaps for every 10 male producers you personally know of 4 female which is a significant amount), it's probably not a good representation of reality. A quick google search from a number of sources tells me that only about 1-3% of music producers are female. You also have to look at the demographics of youtube in general, which is a largely male-dominated platform (as high as 60-80% in most categories). A majority of female youtube viewership is makeup, haircare, animal, or pop music videos. Tech-oriented youtube is biased as high as 80-95% male. From this I can infer that for every 200-1000 male youtubers in this category you will probably get about 1 female content creator on average, assuming we're talking about stuff to do with music production/equipment. Given how there are probably only a few hundred popular music-equipment specific channels to begin with, that alone explains why you see virtually zero females making these videos, and I'm not sure why that's a surprise to anyone.

Going back to my original point we can suppose that anyone taking hours out of their day to make and edit dedicated videos to audio equipment (let alone entire channels about it) are probably to some degree highly obsessive about the interest which psychological personality statistics tells us is biased towards males. Assertiveness/authoritativeness (giving one's opinion or trying to convince others) is also a trait biased towards males. Argumentativeness and competition (whether it's conscious or unconscious) is hand in hand with audiophilia and these are also psychological traits that are skewed in the favour and interest of men. The list goes on. My point was that even if there was total equality in people who enjoyed the hobby, there would still not be equality in those at its forefront or making videos or content about it, or taking it to the extremes as we so often see online. Taking things to extremes is almost an entirely male domain.
I can accept the second point if it boils down to saying that: the particular psychopathology that leads to yoootoobing opinions on microphones disproportionately afflicts men.

To the first, this is now an empirical statistical description and I'll take your word for the numbers but I can't account for why you don't understand that someone can find that 1000:1 ratio remarkable.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly, the author hasn't raised teen daughters.

mkawa

Forum Donor
Clearly the author has never met a woman in person

GDK

Forum Donor
Clearly the author has never met a woman in person
If that comment was directed at me, no, I’m just curious. I find it strange that there are virtually no women interested in this hobby, unlike pretty much any other “traditionally male” pursuit. As a father of a young daughter, I am trying to learn more about these things. But thanks for your concern!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Being "interested in this hobby" does not equate to posting on msg boards, much less to youtuberism.

mkawa

Forum Donor
If that comment was directed at me, no, I’m just curious. I find it strange that there are virtually no women interested in this hobby, unlike pretty much any other “traditionally male” pursuit. As a father of a young daughter, I am trying to learn more about these things. But thanks for your concern!
no absolutely not you!!! it was directed at jae, the one who wrote the treatise on the genetic inferiority of women. sorry about that.

Reactions: GDK

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Women tend to be more interested in people and men tend to be more interested in things. Of course there are exceptions across the sprectra, but there is some broad self-selection going on too.

With the amount of rich oldies in this forum i would think the average person here encountered few gold diggers already (aka females with common sense). the stereotype is that women are very materialistic, not the contrary.

i think there are a lot of possible answers to the original question

this is a male dominated hobby in a male dominated planet. So if a female ever dared to express an opinion about this hobby, she would be belittled and subject to mansplaining. same thing with football.

because of the previous reason, there is not a lot of money for females in this industry. it's a positive feedback loop.

same with female sports, except for tennis, men don't give a shit. and when men don't give a shit there is not a lot of money involved.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also I have the opinion that the average female is smart enough and money concision enough not to buy into cable bullshit lol.

When you earn much less than a man doing the same job you have to be careful about what you're spending it on.

Reactions: GDK

EB1000

A few weeks ago I came home to find my wife and daughter watching the news while the Yamaha A2070 AVR was set to the "Church in Freiburg" sound filed, generating a huge annoying reverb of the anchor's voice. They both didn't seem to mind, nor they had a clue how to change it back to normal...

If this isn't compelling argument that women should stay away from audio/video gear review, I really don't know what is...

Andysu

Major Contributor
Headphone cat ears

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A few weeks ago I came home to find my wife and daughter watching the news while the Yamaha A2070 AVR was set to the "Church in Freiburg" sound filed, generating a huge annoying reverb of the anchor's voice. They both didn't seem to mind, nor they had a clue how to change it back to normal...

If this isn't compelling argument that women should stay away from audio/video gear review, I really don't know what is...

Okay that’s low man lmao .

It can happen to anyone, once you get used to the sound your brain just cancels it. Like your nose.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would assume that if this audio equipment, recording/mastering, playback were of an interest to women then more women would participate.

The DIY community I run with is 100% male and 90% Caucasian. It is what it is. If you show up you're welcomed... Simple as that. Why would anyone look for anything deeper than it being what it is?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I would assume that if this audio equipment, recording/mastering, playback were of an interest to women then more women would participate.

The DIY community I run with is 100% male and 90% Caucasian. It is what it is. If you show up you're welcomed... Simple as that. Why would anyone look for anything deeper than it being what it is?
Counterfactual worldview.

Pennyless Audiophile

this is a male dominated hobby in a male dominated planet. So if a female ever dared to express an opinion about this hobby, she would be belittled and subject to mansplaining. same thing with football.

I beg to differ. I am 52 and single. I am because all my life I have been searching for a woman even remotely interested in the things that I am interested in and found none. At best they can be kind and show some interest out of courtesy.
If I ever could find one, far from belittling her, I would propose!

Top Bottom