• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Youtube reviews of audio gear only allowed to be presented by dudes?

ta240

Major Contributor
Do they tend to be more of the buy and move on types? Rather than the buy and keep shopping like guys?
Similar to the different way most men and women do channel changing. They land on a channel and watch it but guys keep wondering if something better is on another channel and keep switching.

They could be short lived channels if they aren't obsessing about finding the next great component.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do they tend to be more of the buy and move on types? Rather than the buy and keep shopping like guys?
Similar to the different way most men and women do channel changing. They land on a channel and watch it but guys keep wondering if something better is on another channel and keep switching.

They could be short lived channels if they aren't obsessing about finding the next great component.

Are you saying females are 'buy and move on' types?

If so. . . ha haha hahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

You haven't seen my wife's shoe closet

ta240

Major Contributor
Are you saying females are 'buy and move on' types?

If so. . . ha haha hahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

You haven't seen my wife's shoe closet

Good point. I guess they see each shoe as filling a different need rather than being better than the others they have

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't think I've ever encountered a female engineer in audio. There were plenty in the film industry doing sound and music editing etc, but that's not really a technical position.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I don't want to speak for him, but I remember @renaudrenaud's wife to be quite interested in Audio fidelity...:p
Catherine has an interest into everything that has technical side. She is aerospace engineer with robotic and mechanical post engineer studies.

We I discovered ASR, we spend a lot of time talking about Amir measurements. She pushed me to buy the Umik-1 and started the measurements at home with speakers.

We have a lot of projects in our home lab and we work all together on them.

She's extremely curious, always questioning everything and uses to explain "If you want to know something, you have to measure".

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Good point. I guess they see each shoe as filling a different need rather than being better than the others they have

Sure.

mkawa

Forum Donor
my partner loves audio, but is not a phile, especially not a gear-o-phile. she knows what sounds better and what sounds worse when she hears it, and currently has a grand in parts in her headphone system (i set her up with my pre-smsl-400 stack), but she could care less about what is what as long as it sounds good. and yes, she's an electrical engineer, she just focuses on engineering as a job and not a hobby; she'd much rather paint (digitally though) or _make_ music.

i'm not even going to touch the amount of inappropriate abuse that women are exposed to online.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I think the entire category of mixing and mastering is dominated by men. I only know of one female in that space.

In youtube, I have seen a couple of females doing youtube videos but it is rare. It is a shame as women can be superbly effective at it. Check out this youtuber:

Such a mastery of video production, knowledge, acting and natural talent. She has only done a handful of video and already climbed the charts. Sadly she doesn't seem to be doing more videos.
Mandy Parnell. One of the top mastering engineers in the world...

Zensō

Major Contributor
Susan Rogers. A top studio engineer and professor at Berklee...

”Susan Rogers holds a doctorate in psychology from McGill University, where she studied music cognition and psychoacoustics under researchers Daniel Levitin and Stephen McAdams. Her research focuses on auditory memory, the perception of musical signals, and the influence of musical training on auditory development. For two decades prior to her science career, Rogers was one of the world's few women known for her work as a record producer, engineer, mixer, and audio electronics technician. Career highlights include years (1983–1988) as staff engineer for recording artist Prince and working with such diverse artists as Barenaked Ladies, David Byrne, Tricky, and Tevin Campbell.

Rogers is the director of the Berklee Music Perception and Cognition Laboratory. She is currently writing a book on music listening for W. W. Norton Publishing for release in the fall of 2021.”

https://college.berklee.edu/people/susan-rogers

jae

Major Contributor
The extremes of almost any hobby/vocation (even typically "feminine" ones) will almost always be dominated by men, even when controlling for gender bias, stigma, and barrier to entry. This is because the upper percentile of individuals with high trait conscientiousness, obsessiveness, stress-tolerance, competitiveness etc. are almost always male due to both physiological and psychological factors. As with anything there will always be outliers, but this should not at all be surprising. To put it plainly, the most excellent or committed of individuals to a particular topic of interest are almost always abnormal men and they almost certainly are all at least partially nuts.

Last edited:
OP
thefsb

thefsb

I think the entire category of mixing and mastering is dominated by men. I only know of one female in that space.

In youtube, I have seen a couple of females doing youtube videos but it is rare. It is a shame as women can be superbly effective at it. Check out this youtuber:

Such a mastery of video production, knowledge, acting and natural talent. She has only done a handful of video and already climbed the charts. Sadly she doesn't seem to be doing more videos.
Agreed. That's an excellent tutorial video.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

the most excellent or committed of individuals to a particular topic of interest are almost always abnormal men
Leaving aside if this is true or not, how is it relevant? These yootoobers have little of value to say, are often clearly bullshitting, when not actually wrong. They appear to just be dudes with big egos and/or need for attention/validation.

Last edited:

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Leaving aside if this is true or not, hot is it relevant? These yootoobers have little of value to say, are often clearly bullshitting, when not actually wrong. They appear to just be dudes with egos and/or need for attention/validation.

Perhaps men, or male traits, skew more to the unethical side vs. female? Or perhaps those that you refer to genuinely believe that what they are doing provides some benefit.

People are complex.

Ramon Cota

Ramon wants more males doing makeup and cosmetics videos !
Maybe if we all collectively do this :

then women will come to review audio gear for us baldy unattractive audiophiles ?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And for some 'misterious' reason, a lot of very beautiful YouTube women have a huge interest in headphone measuring gear :)

P.S.
that is actually the real (and very secret) reason why @amirm bought his super expensive HP measuring gear.

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
Leaving aside if this is true or not, how is it relevant? These yootoobers have little of value to say, are often clearly bullshitting, when not actually wrong. They appear to just be dudes with big egos and/or need for attention/validation.

Perhaps lets go back to your original post where you mentioned that "I know that there are plenty of expert female audio and recording engineers and producers". While this might be entirely true subjectively in your case (perhaps for every 10 male producers you personally know of 4 female which is a significant amount), it's probably not a good representation of reality. A quick google search from a number of sources tells me that only about 1-3% of music producers are female. You also have to look at the demographics of youtube in general, which is a largely male-dominated platform (as high as 60-80% in most categories). A majority of female youtube viewership is makeup, haircare, animal, or pop music videos. Tech-oriented youtube is biased as high as 80-95% male. From this I can infer that for every 200-1000 male youtubers in this category you will probably get about 1 female content creator on average, assuming we're talking about stuff to do with music production/equipment. Given how there are probably only a few hundred popular music-equipment specific channels to begin with, that alone explains why you see virtually zero females making these videos, and I'm not sure why that's a surprise to anyone.

Going back to my original point we can suppose that anyone taking hours out of their day to make and edit dedicated videos to audio equipment (let alone entire channels about it) are probably to some degree highly obsessive about the interest which psychological personality statistics tells us is biased towards males. Assertiveness/authoritativeness (giving one's opinion or trying to convince others) is also a trait biased towards males. Argumentativeness and competition (whether it's conscious or unconscious) is hand in hand with audiophilia and these are also psychological traits that are skewed in the favour and interest of men. The list goes on. My point was that even if there was total equality in people who enjoyed the hobby, there would still not be equality in those at its forefront or making videos or content about it, or taking it to the extremes as we so often see online. Taking things to extremes is almost an entirely male domain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom