• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you a Subjectivist or an Objectivist?

How would you classify yourself?

• Ultra Objectivist (ONLY care about measurements and what has been double-blind tested.)

Votes: 21 4.9%
  • Hard Objectivist (Measurements are almost always the full story. Skeptical of most subjective claim)

Votes: 123 28.9%
  • Objectivist (Measurements are very important but not everything.)

Votes: 182 42.7%
  • Neutral/Equal

Votes: 40 9.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Subjectivist (There's much measurements don't show. My hearing impressions are very important.)

Votes: 25 5.9%
  • Hard Subjectivist (Might only use measurements on occasion but don't pay attention to them usually.)

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Ultra Subjectivist (Measurements are WORTHLESS, what I hear is all that matters.)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 20 4.7%

• Total voters

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There was a dude 10 years back, give or take, that bought himself a honda cb600r and he went on a campaign to convert harley owners because in every measurable category the honda was better. I was sad for the man as he clearly had no passion for the sport, didn't even know why he was doing it. I don't compare my hifi to owning a harley, just suggesting there is a different perspective from those that look at hifi products like appliances than those that are passionate about their systems. My friends and family members understand, but relatives and neighbors just think I have a loose screw.
What sport?

Harleys win at flatrack.
Honda at pretty much all other types of motorcycle racing. On and off.

markus

There was a dude 10 years back, give or take, that bought himself a honda cb600r and he went on a campaign to convert harley owners because in every measurable category the honda was better. I was sad for the man as he clearly had no passion for the sport, didn't even know why he was doing it. I don't compare my hifi to owning a harley, just suggesting there is a different perspective from those that look at hifi products like appliances than those that are passionate about their systems. My friends and family members understand, but relatives and neighbors just think I have a loose screw.
There's definitely some that are in love with their equipment whereas others are in love with sound.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's possible, I think, to be both. I have the same attitude to my HiFi, as I do to my washing machine or my vacuum cleaner. They're tools that do a job. However, I'm passionate about the results, which is to reproduce beautiful music. I don't think my family and friends have any understanding of me spending time specifically listening to music rather than it just happening in the car or whilst doing the laundry. Listening to music just doesn't seem to be a thing with most people. Even TV is something that often is just on as background flashing lights and noise.

S.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I prefer to think of my stereo (I'll refrain from calling a hi-fi in the literalist context of ASR ;) ) as more along the lines of a 1952 Vincent Black Lightning -- 'cause, it, too, has a soul. At least to me. :cool:

Chr1

Forum Donor
I prefer to think of my stereo (I'll refrain from calling a hi-fi in the literalist context of ASR ;) ) as more along the lines of a 1952 Vincent Black Lightning -- 'cause, it, too, has a soul. At least to me. :cool:

Indeed.
Though the Black Lightning was the 1952 equivalent of today's Honda RC213V MotoGP race bike.
Both wonderful high performance machines.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
There's definitely some that are in love with their equipment whereas others are in love with sound.
Talking of in Love with the sound? Just playing ‘The Art of the Ballad’ Mapleshade Productions. Wonderful musicianship and a superb recording. Do I care about the equipment. Yes without it life would be so much poorer.

Newman

Major Contributor
Sure, but your hifi might have soul more in the manner of a postie bike having soul. ;)

rkbates

Forum Donor
Sure, but your hifi might have soul more in the manner of a postie bike having soul. ;)
My hypothetical limitless garage would have, amongst others, a Vincent Black Lightning, a Honda RC213V and a postie bike. The best part of getting your 'proper' bike serviced is getting a postie bike for the day

Newman

Major Contributor
Agreed. Postie bikes are cool. :)

mdunjic

The hifi in the end is a dummy hardware appliance … but the one designed to accurately reproduce amplified recorded music … without audible distortion … nothing lost, nothing added … just amplified … imo, hifi should not have other purpose in a true audiophile life … it’s not a trophy

Newman

Major Contributor
"it's not a trophy", very well said!

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
If anyone has studied western philosophy, they might recognize echoes of "empiricism vs idealism" in these discussions on "objectivism vs subjectivism," a duality that dates back before Aristotle and Plato. These threads run through western history as a deep divide in ethos, touching everything from religion, politics, economics, and the structure of society itself.

egellings

Major Contributor
I think that other areas, such as health & diet, are as full of it as the audio arena is. Examples would include homeopathic remedies and expensive cables as well as copper bracelets and footer cones, to name a couple.

feynman

I want my gear to be as technically perfect as possible, but also look cool. Where does that place me? I chose 'other.' :)

egellings

Major Contributor
For me, repeatability of test results is important. Objective measurements, if done correctly with various calibrated instruments meant to make the kind of measurement being made, should all come out to be near identical. With subjective um, "measurement", the results are likely to be all over the road like horse apples, even when the same "instrument" (a person) is being used.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
For me, repeatability of test results is important. Objective measurements, if done correctly with various calibrated instruments meant to make the kind of measurement being made, should all come out to be near identical. With subjective um, "measurement", the results are likely to be all over the road like horse apples, even when the same "instrument" (a person) is being used.
Never known an instrument buy anything. Whether you like it or not the the only ‘instrument’ that matters is the person buying what’s on offer. Certainly look at the test results, but they pale into insignificance compared to the look and price and that’s the problem. You get the answer to your sonic dreams home, plug it in quite often justify what you’ve bought until reality sets in some time later. Then it’s on EBAY and the search continue.

Top Bottom