• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are ASR members headphone or loudspeaker users?

Are you a headphone or a loudspeaker user?

• By choice, headphones 90% or more of the time

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • By choice, loudspeakers 90% or more of the time

Votes: 130 53.9%
  • By choice, headphones between 50% and 90% of the time

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • By choice, loudspeakers between 50% and 90% of the time

Votes: 32 13.3%
  • By choice, 50/50

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • Not by choice, headphones 90% or more of the time but prefer loudspeakers

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Not by choice, headphones between 50% and 90% of the time but prefer loudspeakers

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • Not by choice, 50/50 but prefer loudspeakers

Votes: 9 3.7%

• Total voters

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I've been using headphones a lot more recently, my partner is writing and she needs quiet for a lot of the time. I prefer to use each for different things though, they give different views on a recording. I also find it easier to cope with surface noise and such from transcriptions of 78s and early LPs through headphones for some reason.

Multicore

Major Contributor
This is why I have bone conduction headphones for cycling. You should try it.
That is what I use when I am walking outdoors. Good enough for my stories and podcasts.

EDIT to add that I use them around the house too when doing chores or cooking. And they work well for hands-free phone calls.

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
IMO you should never wear headphones in public for that reason. I was in the park the other day and saw a lady i know and she started to cross the road towards me right in front of a car! Yes she had phones on/in her ears
It's curious how people don't get hurt a lot more often as a result of cutting off their environmental audio cues. When the Walkman arrived we were expecting the worst and it didn't happen. But now people are even using sealed headphones and noise-cancelling ones too and the rate of accidents isn't all that bad. I guess there's a good deal of information redundancy with the visual inputs. And this is in an environment where about half the drivers are paying more attention to their phones than the road. Kinda surprising there isn't more thinning of the herd.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I prefer listening to speakers 90% of the time. I sometimes use my HD 650s when reading and use bluetooth headphones (Momentum 4 or Galaxy Buds 2 pro) with ANC turned off when outside working in the yard or barn or just going for a walk with my dog. I live in a very rural area and my place is surrounded by forest on 3 sides. My nearest neighbor is 200 yards away.

Cote Dazur

Voted by choice 50/50. But if you had that poll before last year, before I acquired my first pair of IEM (Truhear Zero Blue) it would have been loudspeaker 90% or more. I had many pair of headphones in the past, some of them highly praise by audiophiles here, but I only ever used them because I had to but never as a first choice.
Since my first IEM, I have 3 now, I have fallen in love with how the music come trough.
Not instantly, to me , it was a learning curve. I had to learn getting comfortable, getting the proper seal. But now, about a year later, I often choose the IEM over the speakers. I still have my fully dedicated music room and my semi dedicated (more isolated) room, for when people are still resting, both with a nice speaker set up and dedicated, well positioned, comfortable seat. The difference is that now, I also use those seat to listen with IEM.
I appreciate both experience, I would not want to have to choose.

Zapper

Since mostly working from home office I can enjoy music through high quality desktop monitors. When working in corporate office, I must use IEMs. Outside of work hours, I prefer speakers unless wife objects or is making noise.

pfsoft

I started with speakers, then moved on to headphones to be able to listen at any time and in any home without space or time constraints. Over time I have learned to overcome the limitations of listening with headphones by inserting a woofer for low frequencies in my armchair. Later several VSTs for binaural listening. Now I wouldn't go back, every time I listen to an audio system with speakers I realize their limitations and the aberrations introduced by the environment.

Top Bottom