• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arcam AVR390 AVR Review

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All,

I'm in the same boat here. I have the 390, and trying to optimize my experience with it. I'm just getting back into higher end audio after 15 years, so I'm shaking off a lot of rust!

Would the consensus be to buy an external DAC/streamer if I listened to a lot of Spotify, and go analog into the Arcam from that? It still applies Dirac to the analog instead, so I don't think I'm bypassing that capability.

Another thing I'm fuzzy on from this review and thread is the performance of the preamp outs. I have Buchardt s300's which are 4 ohm, so I put an old adcom 5400 on those.

Any thoughts on these things?

Thanks!
Brent

I always prefer using external DAC and analog input, but if you use Dirac then you should realize the analog signal will pass through the AVR's internal ADC and DAC, negating the point of using external DAC.

Brentvdg

I always prefer using external DAC and analog input, but if you use Dirac then you should realize the analog signal will pass through the AVR's internal ADC and DAC, negating the point of using external DAC.

Thanks! The ADC to DAC was the missing link in my thought process. Thanks!

Brent

AV_jw

I have noticed that the SBL and SL channels are now mixed up. It must have been following a firmware update. Has anyone else noticed this? That is a bizarre fault

Steve356

I have noticed that the SBL and SL channels are now mixed up. It must have been following a firmware update. Has anyone else noticed this? That is a bizarre fault

What firmware version are you running?

On my 850, the channel steering on DTS MA tracks got totally messed up when they went to v7.14 firmware. The latest firmware v7.15 didn't fix it. I use v4.41 firmware and have no steering issues nowadays. Arcam Support confirmed the issue a couple of years ago on v7.14.

AV_jw

I am using the latest v7.15 and if you go to menu and select speaker levels and select SL and SBL you hear they are the wrong way around. I first noticed it with v7.14 but latest version has not fixed it. That is really poor if they are aware but not fixed.

Steve356

I am using the latest v7.15 and if you go to menu and select speaker levels and select SL and SBL you hear they are the wrong way around. I first noticed it with v7.14 but latest version has not fixed it. That is really poor if they are aware but not fixed.

I tried v7.15 when it was released in the hope that they had fixed such issues, but was disappointed. This issue which has been going on for over 2 years now and not fixed is just one of the reasons I won't be buying another Arcam product again.

All you can do really is notify Arcam Support in the hope that they listen. I doubt they will, but worth a try. I've given up on them personally.

u will get better responses from owners in the avforums. Over here barely anyone owns an arcam avr.

AV_jw

I tried v7.15 when it was released in the hope that they had fixed such issues, but was disappointed. This issue which has been going on for over 2 years now and not fixed is just one of the reasons I won't be buying another Arcam product again.

All you can do really is notify Arcam Support in the hope that they listen. I doubt they will, but worth a try. I've given up on them personally.

I just had reply from different thread but I don’t know how to link it here:
Blackspider777 says “My avr550 doesn't have this issue & i m on the latest fw, something wrong with your setup or amp is faulty?”

did you notice this in speaker level test in the setup menu? if so either ur amp is faulty or u messed up ur wiring.

AV_jw

did you notice this in speaker level test in the setup menu? if so either ur amp is faulty or u messed up ur wiring.
I hear It when I go to menu, speaker levels and SL, SBL are the wrong way around even though the wiring is 100% correct. Steve356 has the same issue but using the AVR850. You don’t have the issue with your AVR550. we need one more person with either model but latest version 7.15 to determine if it’s confined to 390&850 or related to serial number/age.

I hear It when I go to menu, speaker levels and SL, SBL are the wrong way around even though the wiring is 100% correct. Steve356 has the same issue but using the AVR850. You don’t have the issue with your AVR550. we need one more person with either model but latest version 7.15 to determine if it’s confined to 390&850 or related to serial number/age.
Steve356 has DTS steering bug, thats another issue from what you got, that happens when playing DTS movies where some times the Dialog plays from the fronts etc, your issue is a faulty amp & best to contact your dealer for repairs or replacement.

Isn't yours the DTS steering bug? or even in speaker level setup your SL & SBL are mixed up?

AV_jw

Steve356 has DTS steering bug, thats another issue from what you got, that happens when playing DTS movies where some times the Dialog plays from the fronts etc, your issue is a faulty amp & best to contact your dealer for repairs or replacement.
I will get the serial number today and submit a fault to Arcam. I assumed the fault seen by Steve356 was the same as mine but please can you confirm Steve356?

Steve356

I will get the serial number today and submit a fault to Arcam. I assumed the fault seen by Steve356 was the same as mine but please can you confirm Steve356?

I don't run a 7.x system, only 5.x. It's steering issues that I notice. Perhaps your issue is related or maybe a different issue. Arcam Support should be able to confirm or deny. I've found them to be useless over the years to be honest, but they should at the very least be able to test their set up for you.

AV_jw

I don't run a 7.x system, only 5.x. It's steering issues that I notice. Perhaps your issue is related or maybe a different issue. Arcam Support should be able to confirm or deny. I've found them to be useless over the years to be honest, but they should at the very least be able to test their set up for you.
Thanks for clarifying

John People

Hey guys.

I have a chance to get a brand new unit close out from bestbuy for 1399. I'm currently running a Denon 4700h. Would that be a good trade? I'm really confused if I should get this unit for a good price with 2 years protection just to get into Dirac.

Thanks to @amirm for the amazing review btw.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
For those of you who hate yamaha or denon so much you could be more fair and compare apples to apples because arcam costs like twice a japanese! If some day arcam, no one is capable of making an 11-channel av while respecting its famous sound quality, because spending € 4,000 on 7 channels would be to kill them if they were not heard properly.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Makes no sense. I appreciate that English may be a second or third language and that alone is impressive but what are you saying? Try again please Anterantz.

Top Bottom