• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple TV 3rd Gen Question

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Does anyone know if Apple TV 3rd (the one with a toslink output) supports Apple Music lossless?

Thanks

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple TV resamples everything to 48Khz if i remember correctly, not necessarily a bad thing just something to keep in mind.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: Mat
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple TV resamples everything to 48Khz if i remember correctly, not necessarily a bad thing just something to keep in mind.
I was wondering if the Toslink was different to hdmi.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the link. It's a page I had not read but it does not answer my question.
That’s the list of equipment that support lossless. Your device is not listed. What is it that you don’t understand?

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s the list of equipment that support lossless. Your device is not listed. What is it that you don’t understand?
Please show me where it says that?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please show me where it says that?
I assume you have a language issue and try to elaborate. It is a supported device list. Only the supported devices appear on the list. If a device is not on the list it’s not supported.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume you have a language issue and try to elaborate. It is a supported device list. Only the supported devices appear on the list. If a device is not on the list it’s not supported.
No but you have a attitude problem and I can reread. No where on that page does it say Apple TV 3rd gen.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No but you have a attitude problem and I can reread. No where on that page does it say Apple TV 3rd gen.
I am only trying to help. If you know the answer, why are you asking?

FYI, you do have a language problem. For the last time: A supported products document will not include unsupported products.

Bye.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the link. It's a page I had not read but it does not answer my question.
It appears to say Apple 4k supports Apple Lossless up to 48 khz, but not at higher sample rates.

You can find spec sheets for the 3rd gen which list Apple Lossless support among the formats. As the newer 4k doesn't go beyond 48 khz, it is likely the earlier 3rd gen also works only at 48 khz.

From this spec sheet you find the following:

Audio Formats

• HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Last edited:
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am only trying to help. If you know the answer, why are you asking?

FYI, you do have a language problem. For the last time: A supported products document will not include unsupported products.

Bye.
Who's trolling who.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears to say it supports Apple Lossless up to 48 khz, but not at higher sample rates.
Thanks. Apple is quite cryptic in their docs. Turns out my son has one so we're going to test it before I try to find one.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears to say it supports Apple Lossless up to 48 khz, but not at higher sample rates.
Only on Apple TV 4K as it requires tvOS 14.6 or recent, which doesn’t run on anything earlier than the 4K.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears to say Apple 4k supports Apple Lossless up to 48 khz, but not at higher sample rates.

You can find spec sheets for the 3rd gen which list Apple Lossless support among the formats. As the newer 4k doesn't go beyond 48 khz, it is likely the earlier 3rd gen also works only at 48 khz.

From this spec sheet you find the following:

Audio Formats

• HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through
That is the ALAC file format. Apple Music Lossless streaming is not the same thing.

The Music app is available on 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TVs to stream music purchased from the iTunes Store or synced with iTunes Match, but was never updated with support for Apple Music. Apple Music support was added in the tvOS version on the 4th generation Apple TV in early November 2015.[4]

Last edited:
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I edited and added info to my earlier post. Looks very likely it will support up to 48 khz like the 4K version does.
Apple stopped providing the toslink output after 3rg gen. I thought that was strange but Apple does as Apple wants. It just made me wonder if that toslink might provide hi res lossless.

Reactions: trl
Top Bottom