• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lossless from Apple Music Classical.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Has this already been debated?
The "regular" Apple Music , can play lossless through an Apple TV 4K, since it has the Apple Music App, in which case mobile device functions as remote controls. Strangely there is no Apple Classical app for the Apple TV 4K ... The alternative is Airplay which is not (always) lossless ...

How does one play Apple Classical, losslessly?

Peace

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can use the Classical App to add recordings to your library, then play them from within the regular Apple Music App.

Also, the iPhone is technically capable of outputting 24/192 music via USB, but I don't know if it can do it via the Classical App.

charlieevett

I am longing for the Apple Classical App on the AppleTV for sure. I gotta believe they are working on it. I’d love to see a version for my Mac desktop as well. In the meantime, if I find something I like I can add the album and then play it from the Apple Music app, or I download the tracks and plug my iPad into the USB input of my DAC and play it that way.

Or I just live with the 256 AAC format which is often pretty ok.

Cecill

I primarily use Apple Music Classical to discover new albums (new to me), which I then purchase from other platforms. Currently, for me, Apple’s search functionality for classical music is the most effectively executed among all streaming services. However, integrating its service into a stereo system has always been Apple’s weak point. It’s perplexing why they bother with 24/96 and 24/192 files if they cannot, and likely never will, effectively deliver them to a proper stereo setup. Recently I talked to Apple's customer service. My question was as follows: How can I stream Apple Music content bit-perfectly at 24/96 & 24/192 quality to my stereo system? Which device or streamer should I use, and what type of connection is required? The advisor was entirely uninformed; all he could do was direct me to some articles. Even when he highlighted specific content within those articles, it failed to address my query adequately and was quite hit-or-miss. For instance, he was unaware that 24/96 and 24/192 content cannot be streamed bit-perfectly from a Mac connected to a dac. I explained that the limitation arises because the Mac's Audio Midi setup is locked to a bit and sample rate selected by the user. For a Mac to achieve bit-perfect audio, it would need to automatically adjust the bit rate based on the file being played. He suggested referring me to another department, thinking there was an issue with my Mac. I explained to him that this limitation is built into every Mac globally; it's a standard feature, not a defect. Then we discussed using iPhones and iPads as bit-perfect 24/96 and 24/192 streamers. I know that both devices can meet my requirements. However, my audio system is 3 meters away from my sofa, which would necessitate running a cable across the room, which is not very convenient. He then mentioned a completely unusual solution, suggesting that I need to download music directly to my phone from Apple Music to listen to high-resolution files. Additionally, he mentioned that I need an active subscription—which he wanted to verify with a screenshot as proof—and he also inquired whether my Mac operating system is up to date. All of these suggestions indicated a clear lack of understanding and competence on the matter. I'm still unsure how to achieve my goal, so I'm waiting to be enlightened by a more knowledgeable advisor. Only joking. Of course it will never happen and it seems that the high-resolution offering is only available on their platform to tick a box. There is much more that could be done to make Apple Music more accessible to audiophiles. For instance, they could enable the search function in the iTunes Remote app to search Apple Music content, allowing end users to use their Macs headlessly. Or make Apple TV boxes, as they used to, with optical outs for easy connection with dacs.

Top Bottom