• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just spoke with Apple about the 3rd gen Apple TV 4k and sending pass-through audio to a receiver

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I don't get what this petition is asking for?
"True Lossless Dolby Atmos support on the Apple TV 4K"
I don't see Apple offering a full lossless TrueHD Atmos stream for the fairly near future,
it would be too demanding of their bandwidth.
For that we thankfully have BluRay or mkv downloads in many cases.
It would be nice if you could download the True Lossless Atmos for later off line consumption. They could even impose a low demand time frame for the download so it doesn’t sap their bandwidth during peak streaming times. But from experience it’s getting harder and harder to notice the differences with the only real difference in the low frequency zone where they tend to crush this area and to me it’s the most noticeable aspect. If you’re not running subs and looking for that 40Hz or lower frequency it’s darn near impossible to notice the difference. Could be to do with my 10k hz and above hearing loss. Definitely a consideration if you still have good hearing. Otherwise we live in the golden times of streaming Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision or HDR. Incredible to think where we were five or so years ago. On demand high quality audio and video from multitudes of streaming services. Just Amazing and I’m like a pig in the mud over it. :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It would be nice if you could download the True Lossless Atmos for later off line consumption.
That would be awesome but for sure it would have to be attached to a "purchase" pricetag.
It would be great to see the labels (or anyone) offer lossless .mkv downloads like IAA and others for all multich mixes
they have in the vaults. They're just too damn paranoid about sharing.

Otherwise we live in the golden times of streaming Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision or HDR. Incredible to think where we were five or so years ago. On demand high quality audio and video from multitudes of streaming services. Just Amazing and I’m like a pig in the mud over it. :cool:
+1,000. What an incredible time it is to have a good surround music system. New & remastered stuff being released faster than I have time listen to it all. 5.1&7.1 @ 24/192, and lossless TrueHD Atmos @ 24/48k brings unheard of sound quality to todays artists and mixing engineers toolkits. wOOt.
Futures so bright, I gotta wear shades. :p

AdamG

Forum Donor
That would be awesome but for sure it would have to be attached to a "purchase" pricetag.
Well you can download movies and Tv shows using Netflix, Apple TV, Prime Video, Disney and maybe a few other streaming services. Granted I have not personally assessed what quality of Downloads you can expect. Will these services allow you to download at 4k/HDR/Vision/Atmos? I can not say for certain myself. And when you download it you only have play rights as long as your streaming account is active. Not sure how they verify this. So I was spitballing on a possible method to get the higher quality without out taking the bandwidth hit of live streaming full UHD disc quality. Sorry for any confusion Sal. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well you can download movies and Tv shows using Netflix, Apple TV, Prime Video, Disney and maybe a few other streaming services.
AFAIK the downloaded quality for Apple's Atmos files is the same as the streaming DD+ compression.
And when you download it you only have play rights as long as your streaming account is active. Not sure how they verify this.
That's true as far as most of the streamers you mentioned so you don't really "buy" them, your only allowed continued
off-line listening rental as long as you pay that monthly subscription.
Only guys offering TOTL quality from downloads are IAA, SDE, and alike.
HDTracks is offering a handful of 5.1 albums but nothing in Atmos AFAIK.
I'm not a collector of audio media so the immersive download guys are my rav's

AdamG

Forum Donor
AFAIK the downloaded quality for Apple's Atmos files is the same as the streaming DD+ compression.
I did a short test on Disney and Appletv. I downloaded a couple of Movies that are in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos. After downloading and playing back it was the Dolby Atmos DD+ audio and Dolby Vision HDR video. So pretty darn good in my opinion but not UHD Disc quality. I still prefer to throw the UHD in when I have that option. I was surprised though that the DL quality seemed to rival the Streaming version. I was pleasantly surprised. :p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Streaming version. I was pleasantly surprised.
For sure, contrary to Jim Austin, the compressed Atmos sound is not "A Bleak Shadow". :facepalm:
Given the choice I would go for a Lossless Dolby TrueHD stream, but this ain't chopped liver either.

Along with that, all streamed video is heavily compressed, but mostly looks pretty excellent here on my 85" Samsung.
I also love the UHD 4K BD's but the Apple streams don't make my eyes water.
One day if I hit the lotto I may go for a Kalidiscape sub but for now I'm happy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom