• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music LosslessSwitcher app for Mac

Zensō

Major Contributor
Of course not haha This is all about psychology! It makes me feel better if I see 96khz etc. in the display. Like probably everybody else I cannot hear any sound differences above 192kbit/s mp3
Yeah, so even here on Audio Science Review we’re susceptible to audiophile nervosa. I suppose it’s not surprising, we are human after all. :)

leonidas

When they say a few seconds “interruptions” in music playback, does that mean gapless playback doesn’t happen? That would drive me crazy.
I can't speak for older versions but with todays most recent stable version the track starts to play and if the sample rate differs from the previous track, It's like a very short hiccup. Only milliseconds but absolutely noticeable, sounds a little bit like a short glitch. I guess this is related to the Apple Midi app. No problem for me but it will be a problem for some, for sure.

Zensō

Major Contributor
When they say a few seconds “interruptions” in music playback, does that mean gapless playback doesn’t happen? That would drive me crazy.
In my experience, the interruption only happens when the sample rate changes, which would never be the case for an album with gapless playback.

Mat

if you're listening to an album, its gapless and fine

if you're listening to your library on shuffle and the tracks are bouncing from 44.1 to 96k, there will be interruptions to change bitrate (just as there would be if you were manually changing it the second a track ended)

alexeyi

I
There is nothing to fix. On MacOS an application has no exclusive access to the audio hardware, so any app can play any sound at any bit and sample rate and all of them in parallel. The OS mixer therefore resample an all audio to a fixed configurable rate.

It used to be like this yes. These days I’m running Roon or sometimes just Tidal, which both have exclusive modes working on macOS just like on other platforms.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
iPadOS and iOS devices will auto change bit depth and sample rate. macOS devices will not. Annoying that macOS still hasn’t had this fixed.
They treat iOS so well but leave MacOS to be pretty bad. Now that they are in the silicon business they might do well to treat macOS decently for a change.

Zensō

Major Contributor
They treat iOS so well but leave MacOS to be pretty bad. Now that they are in the silicon business they might do well to treat macOS decently for a change.
In principle I agree with you, but I think it’s worth noting that CoreAudio does such a good job of resampling that it doesn’t really matter:
My understanding is that auto switching was necessary on iOS, but not so on MacOS.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In principle I agree with you, but I think it’s worth noting that CoreAudio does such a good job of resampling that it doesn’t really matter:
My understanding is that auto switching was necessary on iOS, but not so on MacOS.
I see. Yes I’m hoping for an upgrade. Also it’s easier to directly share music from Mac OS.

The base M1 mini I’ve had was so annoying as it doesn’t handle 4k 120Hz HDR. So I have a Mac Mini M2 pro coming tomorrow which should solve that issue.

I’ll just keep the MIDI control to 32/192

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What content do you have that needs this?
I see what you mean but I want that to be on par with my PC and also use HDR. You cannot have HDR and 4:4:4 video on the base. So if you enable just HDR the text gets very ugly. That’s even on 4k 60.

That was the reason the Mac mini collected dust all of last year. Apart from the fact that I really prefer the Win 11 interface. Although Ventura seems to be better.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried all that. Including that specific cable. It simply doesn’t work. The actual chipset does not support it. It does however offer 1440p at 120Hz with the USB C DP cable.

Much has been written about this issue. In fact yesterday was the first time I learned the problem exists on the M2 but not the M2 pro.

Edit: I just read that and I did not know about the custom firmware workaround.

Pretty interesting. My particular adapter is 2 years old and so probably doesn’t have the new chipset.

Anyway when you look at Apple pricing the Pro comes with a 512GB drive and 16GB RAM so with all discounts that’s a $900 computer. The difference is $300 for the M2 pro and gives you 2 extra Thunderbolt ports.

However it’s nice to know finally there is an option though.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Lower power consumption if you don't have to resample audio

Pretty important for battery powered devices running iOS and iPadOS

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lower power consumption if you don't have to resample audio

Pretty important for battery powered devices running iOS and iPadOS
I doubt resampling has a big CPU impact. It’s more the case that there is always only one active application running, so it can use the audio interface exclusively, making it easy to have it run at native sample rate. On a desktop OS, many apps run, and all may use the audio hardware. Not a singe app is the primary one.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I doubt resampling has a big CPU impact. It’s more the case that there is always only one active application running, so it can use the audio interface exclusively, making it easy to have it run at native sample rate. On a desktop OS, many apps run, and all may use the audio hardware. Not a singe app is the primary one.
My source is an ex iOS engineer at Apple ...

It is all those thing..Not just one thing

You have to try to an keep CPU down in all the ways possible - battery space is at a premium , therefore need to be frugal with everything for battery life

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My source is an ex iOS engineer at Apple ...

It is all those thing..Not just one thing

You have to try to an keep CPU down in all the ways possible - battery space is at a premium , therefore need to be frugal with everything for battery life
iOS is different it’s a true portable. Always on and could be away from a charger for 16+ hours.

Laptops are most often used connected to a charger. In cases where it is not then yes I agree everything must be done to keep the CPU down. However most people use them in places with a power source. They are not being used for 16+ hours continuously either without a power source.

Jazz

I am now using latest version late 2023 and, it works much better. I think it is worth getting latest build and installing. On M1 mini, latest macOS version.

Reactions: Mat

Strumbringer

Bumping with a question:

I'm sure it's user error, but I can't get Lossless Switcher to work or do anything.

My Audio/MIDI app is currently set to 96.0 kHz, as I was just listening to some files using a different media player (Collibri) that plays FLAC files. I switched to my Apple Music app, where I have hundreds of CD's dowloaded as lossless ALAC 16/44.1. When I play a 16/44.1 song, the Audio/MIDI app does not change and continues to read 96.0.

I have the Lossless Switcher up and running and it says 44.1, which does not match the Audio/MIDI display. I'm running a new M2 MacBook, if that info is relevant.

Top Bottom