• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple music and Sonos, sound quality?

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I have some sonos speakers and a connect, the ZP80 from 2012/2013.
Yesterday I got 3 months Apple music subscription for free and I deided t test the app.
I only stream FLACS from NAS or Spotify (that I have from the start), but I tested Tidal and Deezer too before.

What I am not sure, is that it seems apple music from the Sonos app, do not stream 16/44.1 (CD quality I do not care 24b).
I listened to the same song from my NAS and from the apple music, and I did hear my FLAC beeing better sounding. then I looked at the data rate from my wifi mesh system, FLAC from NAS was giving me 1,2-1.4Mbs while when the stream came from apple music was arround 230-290Kbs.
So is apple music streaming 256Kbs only from the Sonos S1 app or it should be losseless?
I can only use the Sonos S1 app becouse the connect is an old device and do not support 24b.

I dont have anything from apple echosystem in my house, I use PC-windows, linux or Android, so anyone knows if you can really get loseless from apple music into Sonos S1?

Thanks in advance

Martini

Forum Donor
Streaming Apple Music will only be 256k/ACC via Bluetooth. If your were using Apple AirPlay it would max at 24/48k. Also, with Apple Music, any Lossless or Hi-Res that is "downloaded" still belongs to Apple and once your Apple Music Trial or Subscription is cancelled you loose access to those files. You can purchase music from iTunes, but it will only be in 256-AAC, maybe ALAC/m4a, but I'm not certain about that? I'm testing a 6-mo Apple Music trail at the moment. There are aspects I like and those I don't. I will give Qobuz a try also, as it may suit my usage better. Or, I may decide neither are worth it and keep my dollars.

Last edited:
Top Bottom