• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1Mii DS220: was told that this is "outstanding high quality sound w/Apple Music"...

PortableMusic

Dear All:

i was told that this device allows one to stream Apple Music to one's audio hifi system and the sound quality is outstanding. i looked at it briefly but unless i am incorrect, this device merely allows you to stream Apple Music ON YOUR CELLPHONE ITSELF, then transmit via BLUETOOTH your cellphone's Apple Music streaming to your audio hifi system.

thinking through this process, this cannot be a high resolution sound, right? the limitation is, by definition, limited by the Bluetooth limitations! how could this be high resolution audio? all the heavy lifting is done by your cellphone.

confused.

any thoughts would be most appreciated. thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's a DAC with Bluetooth input.
You can send Hi-Res audio to it either via LDAC, or via USB.

It's not a Streamer.

OP
PortableMusic

PortableMusic

the person who told me about this said he streams apple music on his iphone and then sends it to this device via bluetooth, and this device is connected via wires to his main audio system.

how high resolution is possible the way he is doing this please? sorry, i don't understand how this device works or what LDAC is.

thank you.

staticV3

Master Contributor
the person who told me about this said he streams apple music on his iphone and then sends it to this device via bluetooth, and this device is connected via wires to his main audio system.

how high resolution is possible the way he is doing this please?
It isn't. Bluetooth from an iPhone is limited to 16bit, 44.1 or 48kHz.

sorry, i don't understand how this device works or what LDAC is.
LDAC is Sony's proprietary Bluetooth audio codec, which supports higher sample rates and bit depths.
You can only use it on Android devices.

OP
PortableMusic

PortableMusic

so what do i need to do to stream apple music on my samsung s23 ultra to this small device, and how high quality would it be?
you mentioned it is only 44 or 48kHz, which is very mediocre.

i have an apple tv 4K box that i connect using ethernet and it is also limited to 44/48kHz. i bought it because there is no way to stream apple music or apple music classic to my audio system on a rack inside a media closet, which isn't that close to the listening seating area at all!

apple music seems very hard to stream at high quality, i.e. 192kHz, right? is it even possible? again, my audio system in on a rack inside a media closet. thank you in advance.

staticV3

Master Contributor
so what do i need to do to stream apple music on my samsung s23 ultra to this small device
Put the DS220 into Pairing mode
Enable Bluetooth on you S23
Connect to the DS220
Open the Apple Music App
Stat playing music

and how high quality would it be?
Without doing some tests, I don't know.

you mentioned it is only 44 or 48kHz, which is very mediocre.
It is absolutely not.

44 or 48kHz is enough to fully saturate the capabilities of human hearing.

Just like our eyes cannot perceive colors above ~730nm, our ears cannot perceive sounds above ~20kHz.

The only thing that high resolution audio is good for is storing and reproducing tones above 20kHz.
It does not improve sound quality in the audible spectrum!

It's a fundamental misunderstanding of how digital audio works, that allowed Hi-Res consumer audio to emerge and flourish like it does today.

Top Bottom