• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple AirPods Max Review (Noise Cancelling Headphone)

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When you're dealing with headphones that are so "smart", trying to quantify all of this is an exercise with a lot of unknowns. We know the Apple stuff does real time auto-EQ, and I doubt anyone except the engineering team at Apple knows the full details about how all that stuff works.

I agree and I have a lot of questions on exactly how the AirPods operate (the APP2 in particular). That being said, in terms of FR, I get the same results with either noise or sweeps, provided for the latter they've been properly primed by playing a broad signal beforehand (whether noise or music). It isn't something I can test with REW, but I'm skeptical that I'd get a different result measuring them directly with music as a signal. Generally speaking, I have seen no evidence that they're doing anything particular to a typical stereo music signal as long as spatial audio or headphones accommodations aren't enabled, but there may still be something that we've missed.

Re the auto-EQ question, for the AirPods Max it's a simple feedback system that operates up to around 800Hz or so. It will not alter the signal, in fact its goal is the exact opposite as it strives to reduce inter-individual variation in that range.

barreleye

I had a pair of AirPods Max when they first came out. The FR was deficient in the ear gain region, but I really liked the clean, low distortion bass. With Oratory’s EQ they sounded good, but I ended up selling them because I was primarily listening on mobile where I didn’t have a convenient way to implement the EQ.

Fast forward to this week and I ended up with another pair. Much to my surprise, these are clearly brighter and more balanced, and when I use the same EQ as before they are far too bright. I don’t know how to explain this other than to think Apple has changed the tuning, most likely through a DSP/firmware update. Has anyone else experienced this recently?
There has been prior discussion of this, including my post from February 2023, where I described my experience updating firmware after skipping a couple of versions. Like you, I found the headphones suddenly markedly shrill with oratory1990's PEQ, which I'd been using since purchasing them in September 2022.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...noise-cancelling-headphone.25609/post-1497035

There have been two more firmware updates since then, and I wish I had tracked everything better, because at some point in the last few months, I went back to using oratory1990's EQ, because the headphones were again sounding dull without it. They sound great again with it.

One thing I'm sure of, this was not my imagination, or my hearing somehow fluctuating, or anything like that. This was the headphones behaving differently.

ETA: I see @MayaTlab posted oratory1990 measurement graphs from Dec 2020 and Feb 2022. I've only used his EQ based on the latter.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
There has been prior discussion of this, including my post from February 2023, where I described my experience updating firmware after skipping a couple of versions. Like you, I found the headphones suddenly markedly shrill with oratory1990's PEQ, which I'd been using since purchasing them in September 2022.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...noise-cancelling-headphone.25609/post-1497035

There have been two more firmware updates since then, and I wish I had tracked everything better, because at some point in the last few months, I went back to using oratory1990's EQ, because the headphones were again sounding dull without it. They sound great again with it.

One thing I'm sure of, this was not my imagination, or my hearing somehow fluctuating, or anything like that. This was the headphones behaving differently.

ETA: I see @MayaTlab posted oratory1990 measurement graphs from Dec 2020 and Feb 2022. I've only used his EQ based on the latter.
Thanks for the information. It’s a shame Apple is not more forthcoming in regards to their firmware updates and what exactly is happening with Adaptive EQ. I agree with you that something is going on here, but it’s difficult to know precisely what.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Thanks for the detailed explanation, it’s much appreciated. Your arguments are convincing, which leaves the question unanswered for me and others who have had similar experiences. I would almost always chalk this up to expectation bias, but in my case there was such a clear lack of expectation, and the difference is so dramatic, that I’m left feeling puzzled...
It's best to look at the actual data rather than let yourself be convinced by verbose, convoluted arguments that obfuscate fallacious reasoning. And both Rtings and Oratory's data show a broadband (more audible) increase between around 600 Hz and 2 kHz, near where our hearing is most sensitive. Rtings' HATS starts to become less reliable above this in the mid to upper treble, but still shows a general increase in energy here as Oratory's does.

As Oratory's pdfs are an average, it's no surprise the later one would show less of an increase over the earlier one here than Rtings, but the fact it still shows an increase means the later measurement in isolation must have had even more energy in this region than the second pdf shows, as this will have been brought down by averaging with the earlier measurements from the first pdf.

And the effect on perceived tonal balance is evident in the slope of the error curve (top dotted line) in Oratory's second pdf being less steep (indicating brighter tonality) than the first, and the the predicted preference rating increasing to 62% from 56%. Again the differences here, in slope and rating, would be larger between the earlier and later measurements in isolation, as the second pdf is an average that includes the earlier measurement. All of this matches with yours and multiple others' perceptions of the difference in the APM over time, becoming brighter and with a better overall tonal balance (and so higher preference).

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And both Rtings and Oratory's data show a broadband (more audible) increase between around 600 Hz and 2 kHz, near where our hearing is most sensitive.

Indeed, it’s the only point of commonality they have between them, if you think this is a good idea to directly compare them (it isn’t). Even then it’s quite inconsistent. But you don’t need to invoke the occurence of a firmware update to explain these differences, pads breaking in or coupling will do nicely given the dates of publication, methods, range and magnitude involved.

Ex here, APM with pad compression on my own head :
APM comp.jpg

But I’ll reiterate that I would not expect that behaviour to be exactly the same on someone else’s head or on a fixture.

Rtings' HATS starts to become less reliable above this in the mid to upper treble, but still shows a general increase in energy here as Oratory's does.

Since your proposition is that Rtings’ data is evidence that a firmware update caused the differences they observed :

Yep places like Rtings have measured differences after firmware updates.

You’ll first and foremost have to contend with these issues :
  • Why is the Sanity check trace different from the others ? We don’t know with which firmware it was measured, but given the date of publication it’s one of the earlier three already there.
  • Why are all of these traces inconsistent ? Are Apple’s engineers a bunch of lunatics who can’t decide on a direction to follow ?
  • Why, given that the medium to high-Q features at higher frequencies on the APM are not static features but vary with coupling, would they modulate the FR with medium to high-Q filters ?
Rtings diff.jpg

I'm including for good measure a later trace they measured in December 2022.

I’m also going to object to the idea that some of these differences would necessarily result in what I’d term a perceptually brighter pair of headphones (it isn’t like the differences are only a increase in SPL relative to firmware 3B71), but hey, this is just my subjective impressions, which you shouldn’t take seriously.

Now you can continue to believe in whatever you want, personally I’ll just stick for now to the rather more reasonable proposition, in light of Rtings’ methodology and this :
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 15.05.16.png

That it's just more plausible that we're dealing with here with averages to averages differences (and I'm presuming here that Rtings performed averages for the latter firmwares, but we don't know), and that if any difference arose from a firmware update, it’s buried deep under the noise from the former phenomenon.

As Oratory's pdfs are an average, it's no surprise the later one would show less of an increase over the earlier one here than Rtings,

It’s a stupid idea to directly compare them given their different origin, but since you seem to need traces to be directly in the same graph to properly read them :
Rtings vs Orato APM.jpg

I’ll let others decide whether they consider the difference Oratory observed to correspond to “less of an increase”, let alone, outside of the 1-3kHz range, an overall increase in the first place. As far as I’m concerned I’d rather go for “an inconsistent result” first and foremost.

I’ll also let them decide whether or not they think this is all the sign of a deliberate change from Apple’s, but I think that anyone with some sense would be rather bothered with the inconsistency rather than conclude anything from it.

but the fact it still shows an increase means the later measurement in isolation must have had even more energy in this region than the second pdf shows, as this will have been brought down by averaging with the earlier measurements from the first pdf.

And the effect on perceived tonal balance is evident in the slope of the error curve (top dotted line) in Oratory's second pdf being less steep (indicating brighter tonality) than the first, and the the predicted preference rating increasing to 62% from 56%. Again the differences here, in slope and rating, would be larger between the earlier and later measurements in isolation, as the second pdf is an average that includes the earlier measurement.

The slope and preference ratings in Harman’s model aren’t just influenced by whether a pair of headphones actually is "brighter" or "warmer" than another, but also simply by the smoothness of the error curve. You can see an example here with the Sony MDR-MV1, using the same data from Aregina, progressively smoothed :
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 13.20.19.png
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 13.20.26.png
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 13.20.35.png

What you see in terms if slope and preference rating in regards to Oratory’s pdf is mostly related to that phenomenon (ie the February 2022 trace being smoother to begin with) and not an evidence that the later AirPods Max are indeed sloped brighter than earlier models :
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 13.24.52.png
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 13.24.59.png

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 13.25.34.png
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 13.25.47.png

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 13.25.57.png
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 13.26.06.png

The February 2022 pdf from Oratory isn’t necessarily smoother in the treble because later APMs are smoother in that region (they’re not), but just because more of this happened :
EqRw5VVW8AEhtzM.jpeg

(given that the average perfectly overlaps with the December 2020 publication, I think that only one sample was contained in it, but I could be wrong here).

In other words had more samples (including with broken in pads) and individual traces been averaged as early as December 2020, the curve would have been smoother, and would have had a slightly brighter slope number as a result.

I'd like to make it very clear given the caliber of discussion on that subject that I'm likely to have here on ASR from some members that I do not show these examples as a way to "massage" the data, advocate using increased smoothing, or consider that the 1/3 smoothed traces are this time evidence that no change happened, far from it, but as a an illustration of how the factors that make up the preference score can be influenced by how smooth the curve is to begin with, and that you can't really conclude from the difference in slope and preference ratings seen here that latter APMs are brighter than earlier ones.

You’ll find several pre-filled spreadsheets on the web to actually experiment on your own with that model, but I don’t think that you’re actually interested in learning anything anyway, since you didn't even take up my proposition a while ago to assist you to gain access to Harman's articles (that offer still stands).

All of this matches with yours and multiple others' perceptions of the difference in the APM over time, becoming brighter and with a better overall tonal balance (and so higher preference).

I know that your reading is conveniently selective but that’s not really exactly what they all wrote. In fact the respective experiences of @acbarn, @oleg87 and @barreleye are quite a bit different between each others, @barreleye in particular. I'll also note that the difference they observed was described as "dramatic" for example, while I'd put the differences between Rtings' and Oratory's traces in the "audible" category, I wouldn't call them "dramatic", but that's just me.

I’m also a bit annoyed to have been left out of the party as this is how my current pair differed when I received it in November 2022, and how it measured more recently in may 2023 (same pair, same pads - already broken in) :
May23 nov22.jpg

Given the uncertainty related to averages to averages variation, and in-ear mic positioning variation, I can’t conclude from this that any change happened out of a firmware update for me during that time.

Again, I don't want to deny someone else's experience, and it would be interesting if we could get to the bottom of it, but as far as a firmware update deliberately causing a change in signature is concerned, I'll remain quite skeptical until proven otherwise. I can only speculate on the potential causes for their experience. Could some specific units have been temporarily affected by a series of firmware updates (@barreleye) ? Could 2023 units, which to my knowledge we've yet to see a measurement of, truly be different ? I don't know.

Mauro

Not shared publicly on Reddit / Twitter. He spent a lot more time than me on that question so indeed good idea to ask him directly :D.

BTW, Watch OS 9.2 now enables for the APP1 and APM this feature, already available for the APP2 : https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/airpods-pro-2.37164/post-1330715
No idea whether it is accurate or not...
BTW for everyone reading.. the audible artifacts (noise/volume compression?) of the presets in the accessibility settings seem not to be present if you use an audiogram as a sort of equalizer.
If you want to experiment with it, click on Custom Audio Setup (Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Headphone Accommodations ). Pick a random image of yours when promoted to choose an audiogram file. You will be asked to input numbers manually for example I use:
20 if I want to keep the sound as it is. Higher like 23 to elevate the response.
You can try with the numbers below for both ears and, when applied, switch between audiogram and presets to check how it changed: 20;19;20;19;23;24;20.
FYI Health app stores all records.

DONE!

I hope this might help someone.
APM has great usability, a slim profile on the head, good frequency response up to 2kHz and good front soundstage. With these very simple tricks (see the other below) we can get a very very good headphone.

And if you want to have a roll-off in the upper treble, you can cut an ellipse out of toilet paper of the size of the driver. @solderdude wrote about the effects of it
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/taming-the-treble/.
I can’t find negative effects on noise cancellation. So that’s convenient.

Last edited:

BJL

I might have missed it, but I did not notice any comment on these headphones used wired.

My regular audio system is temporarily unavailable, so I only have headphones for a time. I bought the apple dongle/cable, and have found the audio quality to be superior wired. Of course, this only applies to stereo sources, because the Apple cable is an analog input, spatial audio is not interpreted, if that is important, spatial audio is in the stereo downmix using these phones wired.

I do not have the equipment (or expertise) to take measurements. For whatever it may be worth, in my perception, the audio via cable vs. wireless is more detailed with better dynamics, lower distortion, and an overall more natural sound. Perhaps someone with test equipment could confirm (or disprove) my perception, and quantify any difference.

The only negative that I found, is that the cable is short (about 4 feet or 1.1 meters), making an analog extension cable necessary for most uses other than with a portable device.

Stereo20

Pick a random image of yours when promoted to choose an audiogram file. You will be asked to input numbers manually for example I use:
20 if I want to keep the sound as it is. Higher like 23 to elevate the response.
You can try with the numbers below for both ears and, when applied, switch between audiogram and presets to check how it changed: 20;19;20;19;23;24;20.
FYI Health app stores all records.

Thank you very very much! this is epic!
Until now I had used the mimi hearing test app to create a personalized audiogram based on hearing abilities but with your method it is much more customizable and the audio quality increases a lot
Thank you so much

lindijones

Thank you very very much! this is epic!
Until now I had used the mimi hearing test app to create a personalized audiogram based on hearing abilities but with your method it is much more customizable and the audio quality increases a lot
Thank you so much
You can also use the app „iHearIt“ to fully customize an audiogram.
You can set any frequency and hearing loss value you want.

lindijones

An audiogram is not an equalizer. If you'd like to add the filters of amir as an audiogram you have to look at what the effect of the filters is:
View attachment 185725
Rounded to whole dBs, the values are:
This is however quite crude, as the filters have a dip around 2700Hz which you cannot create in this way.

Based on the EQ profile of Oratory1990, this would be the results:
View attachment 185837
125-1
250-1
I'm not sure if the -1's have any effect, but this is a bit more moderate...

Take you pick :) What sounds best?
I‘m pretty sure that Apple‘s compensation for an audiogram does not translate 1:1 from the hearing loss value(s). (As hearing loss values can be entered up to 160db)

What i really would like to know is the amount of compensation, the creation of the compensation filter values and if there is also dynamic compression when using the audiogram compensation.

Stereo20

based only on my subjective impressions, it seems to me that the audiogram not adds compression unlike the three fixed modes present (voice, balanced and treble)

lindijones

based only on my subjective impressions, it seems to me that the audiogram not adds compression unlike the three fixed modes present (voice, balanced and treble)
I‘m playing around here with the compensation switch (A/B testing) and right now i would say that there is definitely dynamic compression added.
Anyway measurements would be nice.

lindijones

This is so annoying.
Just little corrections would be nice.
But hell freezes over before Apple would add a parametric eq to the AirPods.

Mikomikomikomiko

would following those audiogram settings do what a qudelix 5k would do? I’m having trouble getting my wired APM to work with my qudelix 5k!

barreleye

Darn. How about using something like the qudelix 5k with the wired AirPods Max? Has anyone done that?
I'm sure I briefly tried it to see if the oratory1990 PEQ settings sounded the same as with my miniDSP 2x4 HD though a Schiit Heretic amp, and I don't remember anything notable about the results, so I guess it was fine. I use the latter combo every day, and it works great.

Top Bottom