• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon Audio Class-D Amp Build Quality

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
With the Hypex buffer, each mono amp:

Apollon-Audio-NC1200-SLM-standard-money.png

Today: $ 1,571.75

With Sonic Imagery or Sparkos: + € 300

Apollon-Audio-NC1200-SLM-sonic-money.png

Today: $ 1,923.13

Europe Union: you need to add VAT (Spain: + 21%).

And shipping.

Remember: you need two mono amps to have stereo.

Last edited:

Bamyasi

After @maty's posts today Apollon website has been overwhelmed by requests and crashed, so all I can see now is Error 522...

Jefrpol

I'm in the market for amps and I find, in many ways, the Apollon NC500 based amps appealing. To anyone that knows:

To what extent does the input buffer board and choice of op amp change the sound or how the modules used measure? Is there an advantage to Apollon's (in this instance) pro board over their basic board? Is it worth the extra $300 or so (for mono pairs) to go for the more expensive board?

Similarly, is it only the buffer board that separates it from the Bel Canto amps that use the same modules or the NAD or, for that matter, Nord Acoustic?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To what extent does the input buffer board and choice of op amp change the sound or how the modules used measure? Is there an advantage to Apollon's (in this instance) pro board over their basic board? Is it worth the extra $300 or so (for mono pairs) to go for the more expensive board?
I have tested some of these op-amps in a DAC and they did nothing for performance. So my answer would be no, they are not worth the premium. Without measurements they may even hurt performance. Go by what we know, than what we don't know. :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 'normal' opamps perform admirably there and there is no reason to even suspect these will sound any different.
Only the specials (Muse01 and Burson) perform badly with lots of distortion.
Especially the Burson is reaching audible levels.
A shame really to make an otherwise fine performing diigital amp poorly by inserting 'audiophile' opamps in its path that clearly change the sound.

When the Burson would have been tested by Amir it too would have shown poorer performance (for others it will be much better sounding)

Jefrpol

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I confess the charts don't mean much to me (I scroll down to the explanations) but it seems clear that there could be changes and they could be worse with different op amps.

What about the boards? Do these 'pro' boards increase performance?

It is supposed to be better with the larger opamps. Even Sparkos said that with the larger area he could do everything he wanted but could not with the smaller opamp.

Lots of technical description on their website:
https://sparkoslabs.com/pro-discrete-op-amp/

And some fun. :)
AudioOpAmps_Sized.jpg

Last edited:

laidick

Forum Donor
@amrim wonder if you did any test for the Apollon amp? E.g. NC800SL or NC1200SL?

Thanks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed on the Apollon website that they switched the speaker connectors to WBT 0703 with customer choice of Cu or Ag.
Also they are using "a 5mm aluminium baseplate instead of a perforated iron baseplate (...) for even better passive cooling".
Now most of their website pictures are outdated. :)

I wonder why the flagship PNC1200M mono blocks are not listed though.

The NC1200SLM is shown with the new items above.

NC1200-Apollon-Audio-Amplifier-Front-Inside-View-Components-Top-Down-1.jpg

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
It should not be so difficult to make a good implementation of the modules like Tibor with Apollon! It is the logical implementation if you have a case with enough interior space.

Optimized.

Apollon-Audio-NC1200-WBT-0703CU-inside-view-components.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom