• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone using their laptop as a desktop/main PC?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
There are a few things to consider if you're in the market for a new laptop (IMHO):
- Get something with plenty of CPU cores. Even if you don't do a lot, it just makes for a smoother overall experience. AMD has some nice modern offerings in that regard, Intel is catching up though. Otherwise, Apple M1 will give you a lot of cool CPU power
- Don't skimp on RAM, 8 GB bare minimum, regardless of OS
- Make sure you have a decent screen. Especially Windows laptops used to have very scrappy screens. Nowadays you can get some nice screens. Some decent pixel real estate is valuable to have, as is decent color rendering and brightness. So stay away from those 1366x768 things.
- Make sure you have a decent touchpad. Skimping on these used to be all over the place, giving a very crappy experience.
- Double-check that you can hook up all the external stuff you need, like multiple screens, etc.
- Whatever you think you need for storage, get double
@Digby this post from @voodooless is an excellent guide. The only thing I have to add to this:
  • Spend some time hands-on with laptops of various sizes/weights to understand what form factor works for you.
90+% of the time my laptop is on my desk hooked up to an external monitor. As such I have a strong preference for a small laptop (13" screen) that is very thin and light for when I need to travel. I've had larger / heavier laptops in the past and hated lugging them around. But your usage might be different, so figure out what works for you. With a small laptop screen it's not difficult to hook it up to an external monitor (or two) when you're at home. But if you're on the go a lot -- and maybe doing something screen intensive like CAD drawings -- the bigger laptop screen might be necessary.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep, been using a laptop as my main pc for at least 10 years now. It's connected to my 65" 4k tv, external wireless keyboard with touchpad. Also connected to my stereo. It runs for around 12 hrs a day, no issues whatsoever. Laptop is completely silent, unless you put your head on the laptop, audibility wise, you wouldn't know it was on. Seems more energy efficient and looks better than a big old pc tower.
Once a week, pull it out and the vacuum, give it a good cleaning (suck out any dust or debris). Takes all of 3 minutes.
With all the computing power and storage available today in laptops, I can't see a reason to ever go back to a tower.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
often times fans too noisy

I have a 120mm Scythe case fan mounted underneath the aluminium stand that my work laptop sits on. The fan is driven from a USB connector plugged into a spare port on my ThinkPad. It's a 12V fan, but it's running from 5V USB power, so it's considerably undervolted and runs silently. The fan provides enough additional airflow to the bottom of the laptop to keep the internal fan at low speed at all times, except during very high CPU/GPU work loads.

IMG_20220523_164950 (Small).jpg

This is the stand: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081Z263H8?th=1

Last edited:

Nonick

Im using a laptop (multiple units) as desktop/main PC for work. Its used strictly for programming/php/sql/ and VM, with PS and AI usage.
Using Dell U2412M as external monitor via HDMI. I find it easier and more convenient for transporting, moving, adjusting then desktop PC case.
Old laptop is i7 4500u, 17.3'' ips screen, 8 GB RAM, 7200rpm disk and it works flawlessly with only one Shutdown for 8 years. Its huge and heavy, so i replaced it for new one with 13'' display (since i never use laptops internal display) HP Spectre x360.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How long do you expect them to last.

I never really thought about it. It hasn’t been an issue.

Any problems with loose ports/connectors/faults that you wouldn't expect (or could easily be fixed) with a desktop?
No. Then again, is a desktop one might actually want to use (i.e. Mac mini, Mac Studio, iMac) -any more repairable?

oversky

I switched from laptop back to PC after graduating from school.
I don't want to invest money on the small screen and the keyboard that I don't used at home.

bahamot

Sounds like it did pretty well if you got a decade out of it.
Yup, it impressed me. And to think the laptop was a gift.

Current setup:
Asus PN51+Lenovo M14
IMG20220524124854.jpg

Last edited:

0bs3rv3r

The line for me is blurred because my "desktop" PC is a small form factor box. A Lenovo Thinkcentre. What is inside the box is basically the same tech as what is in a laptop.

As to whether it is powerful and fast enough - well, running linux (Mint) and replacing the hard drive with an SSD means it is very fast for general use. Most CPU intensive task I do is occasionally post processing fairly hires photographs. That is the only time I see it pause to think, and still it is quite acceptable.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How long do you expect them to last. Any problems with loose ports/connectors/faults that you wouldn't expect (or could easily be fixed) with a desktop?

How about a laptop that you can build, upgrade and repair yourself? https://frame.work/products/laptop-diy-12-gen-intel

Review of the 11th gen version: https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/reviews/framework-laptop-diy-edition-review

iFixit Teardown: https://www.ifixit.com/News/51614/framework-laptop-teardown-10-10-but-is-it-perfect

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody here doing this. What are, in your experience, the pros and cons of this kind of setup?
I do. I use a Thinkpad T480s as my main PC.

Pros:
  • Can be taken and used on the balcony and in the tub.

Cons:
  • A bit pricier
  • Not as much CPU or GPU power
Just make sure you have 16 or more GB of Ram and a large external display at home.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
But now I need a new mouse. Again. Scroll wheels stop working. Actually, I needed it weeks ago. I've sometimes thought of asking here, because google/etc. for computer stuff is a PITA - I want a bigger mouse.
The Logitech MX series are quite large. Not cheap, but good quality, available as trackball and typical mouse.
Current setup:
Asus PN51+Lenovo M14
Very nice, what is the trackball and what experience do you have with different types that you can recommend.

bahamot

The Logitech MX series are quite large. Not cheap, but good quality, available as trackball and typical mouse.

Very nice, what is the trackball and what experience do you have with different types that you can recommend.
That is "Kensington Expert Mouse". I use cheaper model on my office: Kensington Orbit. But I prefer the Expert Mouse, its ergonomic is much better due to larger trackball.

Tried Logitech trackball before but didn't really like it.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not exactly cheap though.

It could work out cheaper than a 'traditional' laptop *if* it's service life is significantly extended by the ability to upgrade and repair the unit.

In past decades, that would have been quite a big *if*. However, the the current economic climate and stress on manufacturing/supply lines could work in Frameworks favour and tip the balance away from replacement to towards repair and re-use.

On the other hand, it's also a difficult economic climate for a small start-up like Framework to succeed and this places the continued availability of spares and upgrades into question.

Top Bottom