• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone know of a Raspberry Pi player that has bookmarking?

AlfieFroud

I have a lot of audio dramas and audiobooks, the problem is most players don’t have a bookmarking feature so it’s difficult to resume from where I left off.

TaxTime

I don't know if it suits your needs, but JRiver has a bookmarking function. I've always used it on my PC system, and have used it on my Pi4 in the past - I currently run Moode on the Pi ever since I installed it in my Okto. There is a sticky in their forum on installing it on a Pi. A big advantage with JRiver is its cost compared to other software. They also have constant improvements/updates with a vast community.

Nutul

I don't know if it suits your needs, but JRiver has a bookmarking function. I've always used it on my PC system, and have used it on my Pi4 in the past - I currently run Moode on the Pi ever since I installed it in my Okto. There is a sticky in their forum on installing it on a Pi. A big advantage with JRiver is its cost compared to other software. They also have constant improvements/updates with a vast community.

Implementing bookmarks in moOde should not be impossible; of course it makes really sense only for audiobooks... maybe trying with a Feature Request...?
Depending how the audiobooks are made / organized, a playlist with a book and all its chapters, together with "consume" on, and saving to the playlist after every listening is enough (provided you listen to the whole chapter / section, of course). Then the first track in the playlist will always be the "next chapter" in your listening journey through the audiobook... Of course, this isn't very practical / nice, but is already a thing.

TaxTime

Implementing bookmarks in moOde should not be impossible; of course it makes really sense only for audiobooks... maybe trying with a Feature Request...?
Depending how the audiobooks are made / organized, a playlist with a book and all its chapters, together with "consume" on, and saving to the playlist after every listening is enough (provided you listen to the whole chapter / section, of course). Then the first track in the playlist will always be the "next chapter" in your listening journey through the audiobook... Of course, this isn't very practical / nice, but is already a thing.

I don't need any type of bookmarking myself - I was just telling OP that JRiver has a type of "bookmarking." I only threw in Moode because it's no longer what I use on my Pi ever since I installed it in my Okto even though I do have the Master License for JRiver which allows for use in Windows, Mac, and Linux.

I don't know if bookmarking is possible in Moode (or other Pi/Linux players) as it's not something I would use. I only knew about the one in JRiver because I came across it in the JRiver forum.

Nutul

I don't know if bookmarking is possible in Moode (or other Pi/Linux players) as it's not something I would use.
Bookmarking in this case will just involve a map between the a file and a timestamp within it; then you just tell MPD to play the track starting at the timestamp.
Technically speaking every player can implement it (and JRiver did it). The OP was speaking of a Pi, and to my bad I didn't know JRiver runs in Linux too.

Then, can JRiver be controlled via some sort of web api? Or do you need to be in front of the computer on which it runs?

P.S.
the Okto, AFAIK has a Pi inside.

TaxTime

Bookmarking in this case will just involve a map between the a file and a timestamp within it; then you just tell MPD to play the track starting at the timestamp.
Technically speaking every player can implement it (and JRiver did it). The OP was speaking of a Pi, and to my bad I didn't know JRiver runs in Linux too.

Then, can JRiver be controlled via some sort of web api? Or do you need to be in front of the computer on which it runs?

P.S.
the Okto, AFAIK has a Pi inside.

I usually use JRiver through BubbleUPNP, but they do have their own apps - JRremote and Gizmo. JRemote and Gizmo work great and have great interfaces, but cannot connect to streaming services such as Qobuz, which is why I use Bubble (the owner refuses to do so because of past problems of some kind). I also use Bubble to stream to Moode on the Pi (in my Okto) since it's headless anyway. Any application (supposedly) can connect to JRiver via DLNA.

JRiver can also be set up to automatically load and run in the background (without the use of a monitor) every time the computer is started.

Note that I do NOT and have never used JRiver for VIDEO and/or VIDEO streaming, but for video purposes, JRiver does do that (I believe).

As far as the Pi in Okto, it can be purchased both way - with and without. I purchased without because when I got mine, they dropped the availability because the shortage of Pi units - plus I already had a Pi4 that I was not doing anything with since I had it to piddle with IanCanada's reclocker and i2s boards (which I no longer use). I believe they have made the option available again though now that Pi4s are more plentiful.

Barrelhouse Solly

Just double checked. Moode defaults to resume play at the point in the file where you stopped if the file remains in the play queue. I didn't check to see if this persists through power cycling. If you use Moode in the UPNP renderer mode and control it with BubbleUPNP you should also be able to resume play at the point where you stopped. I don't believe that there's a bookmark function in the sense of a resume play field that persists if you remove a file from the play queue and later put it back. E. g. play file, stop, remove it from the queue, later put it into the queue and restart where you left off.

Barrelhouse Solly

Just double checked. Moode defaults to resume play at the point in the file where you stopped if the file remains in the play queue. I didn't check to see if this persists through power cycling. If you use Moode in the UPNP renderer mode and control it with BubbleUPNP you should also be able to resume play at the point where you stopped. I don't believe that there's a bookmark function in the sense of a resume play field that persists if you remove a file from the play queue and later put it back. E. g. play file, stop, remove it from the queue, later put it into the queue and restart where you left off.
I just looked up resume play in the MPD manual. That covers Moode, Volumio, and some other Pi music software that's based on MPD. It's covered in the state file section: https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/stable/user.html#the-state-file

Nutul

I just looked up resume play in the MPD manual. That covers Moode, Volumio, and some other Pi music software that's based on MPD. It's covered in the state file section: https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/stable/user.html#the-state-file
Hi,

this is ok across MPD restarts and/or system reboot; you cannot, though, stop your audiobook, listen to some music, and then resume the audiobook where you left off... unless you noted it down, of course... this is where "bookmarks" come into play.

Top Bottom