• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone get pics of the Aurora last night?

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apparently there was a class G4 storm last night. Aurora were very bright and visible as far South as New Mexico! I got a few pics with my iPhone from here in Southern Ontario:

8A5DAD6A-B0D3-4D44-B5FA-5A52CBFC3CAF.jpeg4C8FFB32-33ED-49A9-82EE-3BF0CAB43723.jpeg

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
totally clouded over the last 2 nights in the DC area :-(

OP
RobL

RobL

Forum Donor
how does it look in person, is it more beautiful than the images?
I am from Egypt, the day we get an aurora is the day half of humanity dies
When seen in person the colours are more subdued, the camera pics them up better than the eye does. They are impressive to see though. Pretty unusual to see them even where I am (44.5 deg N). Last time I saw them was several years ago.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I flew near the North Pole around December 21 2000, Chicago to Hong Kong and saw aurora for the only time.

I didn't expect to go so far north,

The aurora was like somebody throwing handfuls of yellow sand into water, for lack of a better description. A few seconds pass, then another handful, moving quickly at first then slowed, then dissipating over a few more seconds.

The funny part was watching the flight path on the seat monitor, thinking of Korean Airlines 007, not knowing that Siberan and Chinese airspace had been opened to commercial traffic.

Was fortunate to have a night flight From Buffalo to Chicago on another date with a stunning view of comet Hale-Bopp low over the northern horizon for over an hour..

Top Bottom