• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anybody Out There Who Hears a Difference Between 320 kbps MP3 and Red Book CD? What Differences Do You Hear?

Wafflesocks

320kbs mp3 vs wav ripped from cd. 1 song each from 10 CDs, used jriver for transcoding.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Wafflesocks

Had a hotkey to shuffle playlist of 20(10 songs, 1 in wav, 1 in 320mp3) songs, turned off the monitor, shuffled list, hit play. Wrote on Piece of paper and compared to playlist at the end. It was the only way I could figure out at the time how to do it blind.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Had a hotkey to shuffle playlist of 20(10 songs, 1 in wav, 1 in 320mp3) songs, turned off the monitor, shuffled list, hit play. Wrote on Piece of paper and compared to playlist at the end. It was the only way I could figure out at the time how to do it blind.

One really good way is the ABX plugin in foobar2000.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't care since memory got so cheap, I just use lossless compression for anything I rip.

For ripping that definitely makes sense. Streaming and portable devices are a different story.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Simple – go here, do the 100 trials version of the test, get a 100%. If you do, you indeed hear the difference between mp3 320 and lossless. No BS about "not the right type of music" or other excuses allowed.
Otherwise, stop claiming that it matters.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Fluffy

Simple – go here, do the 100 trials version of the test, get a 100%. If you do, you indeed hear the difference between mp3 320 and lossless. No BS about "not the right type of music" or other excuses allowed.
Otherwise, stop claiming that it matters.
Just for kicks, I went on and did it:

Untitled123.png

…Using a spectrogram, of course (the speakers were off through most of it). And I accidently missed one, apparently. Oh well, then the spectrogram is only 99% accurate. :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't hear much, if any difference between 320 kbps MP3 streams and standard CDs. I consider myself blessed in this respect. I don't think there is an audible difference. And, I don't mind saying so. But, if you hear a difference, what is it?
I hear about 400 to 500 kbps of difference.

(I don't, I just like to think I do, or have the peace of mind knowing all that lovely data is there making things so much better)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why? Whether you hear compression artifacts highly depends on content. I went there and the first track was a super busy rock track. That would not at all be my first choice to hear compression artifacts. The track was also too annoying for me to spend time listening to it.

There are a list of MPEG reference clips for codec testing that should be used instead of some random set of tracks. If you can't hear it there, then likely you won't hear it in other music either.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be rather odd, as most of those bits are not audible. :)
If its hi res I hear about 1500 more kbps, they weigh heavy on my ears.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If its hi res I hear about 1500 more kbps, they weigh heavy on my ears.

I prefer 1-bit DSD for that unbearable lightness of being...

Fluffy

Why? Whether you hear compression artifacts highly depends on content. I went there and the first track was a super busy rock track. That would not at all be my first choice to hear compression artifacts. The track was also too annoying for me to spend time listening to it.

There are a list of MPEG reference clips for codec testing that should be used instead of some random set of tracks. If you can't hear it there, then likely you won't hear it in other music either.
Now, what did I say about not making excuses? You could have at least read what are the other artists that appear there, from the test I did. The complete songs list is: Flesh & Bone by The Killers, The Wilhelm Scream by James Blake, Give Life Back to Music by Daft Punk, Hotel California by The Eagles, Long Time Gone by Dixie Chicks. Most of these can hardly be described as "super busy rock tracks".

Besides, it's pointless testing codecs with clips that are specifically designed to break them. They should be tested with what they are created for, which is compressing real music.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I prefer 1-bit DSD for that unbearable lightness of being...
1-bit? Doesn't that miss a lot of the notes compared to 16 or 24 bits? o_O

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now, what did I say about not making excuses? You could have at least read what are the other artists that appear there, from the test I did. The complete songs list is: Flesh & Bone by The Killers, The Wilhelm Scream by James Blake, Give Life Back to Music by Daft Punk, Hotel California by The Eagles, Long Time Gone by Dixie Chicks. Most of these can hardly be described as "super busy rock tracks".

Besides, it's pointless testing codecs with clips that are specifically designed to break them. They should be tested with what they are created for, which is compressing real music.
Amir is referring to music clips. Up thread I've mentioned one of those clips which is Suzanne Vega singing Tom's Diner. Very difficult for data compression to get that right so it isn't audibly different.

Top Bottom