• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any new DACs worth looking at?

Sounchasr

Hi all:

Just joined. I'm in the market for a new DAC to replace a Micromega MyDAC. I'd like to spend about $500. I was looking at the DacMagic Plus but that has been around for years. Also, I think the Schiit offering has been around for a while. I assume that this technology is ever-changing and I'm wondering if I should invest in what could be "old tech". Are there new offerings as good or better than these two?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Reactions: PSO

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Hi all:

Just joined. I'm in the market for a new DAC to replace a Micromega MyDAC. I'd like to spend about $500. I was looking at the DacMagic Plus but that has been around for years. Also, I think the Schiit offering has been around for a while. I assume that this technology is ever-changing and I'm wondering if I should invest in what could be "old tech". Are there new offerings as good or better than these two?

Thanks for any thoughts!
There's absolutely no reason to use $500 on any new dac since the prices of great measurable ones has really gone down. You'll be amazed at how far some manufacturers have come in the industry with respect to price/measured performance :)

My go-to when asked this is SMSL Sanskrit 10th Anniversary MKII (my thoughts / @amirms measurements) or Topping E30 (@amirms measurements)

Happy hunting and let us know what you got :)

OP
S

Sounchasr

Excellent. Thanks. I'll check out the SMSL. I was looking at the Topping D70 and D90. Big difference between the E30 and D70/D90 or none really?

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Excellent. Thanks. I'll check out the SMSL. I was looking at the Topping D70 and D90. Big difference between the E30 and D70/D90 or none really?
Honestly no. I have the D90 (my thoughts) and the MKII. Even considering my buyers/sighted bias - my quote is still this:

"Value. Won't say this device is 6x as good as my previous DAC the Sanskrit 10th MKII (which btw is a steal for the price of ~$/€115!!) - The D90 is just a bit better (yes buyers/sighted bias - I know)." - Me :)

But I will tell you this I tried my OG Cambridge Dac Magic (first gen) some time ago and that thing hasn't aged well. So you're in for a treat if and when you decide to upgrade :)

OP
S

Sounchasr

Honestly no. I have the D90 (my thoughts) and the MKII. Even considering my buyers/sighted bias - my quote is still this:

"Value. Won't say this device is 6x as good as my previous DAC the Sanskrit 10th MKII (which btw is a steal for the price of ~$/€115!!) - The D90 is just a bit better (yes buyers/sighted bias - I know)." - Me :)

In your sig you indicate you go USB to the DAC. Why not optical to the DAC? Is there any benefit to USB?
EDIT: Just used the search feature. Nevermind. :)

I'm presently (it changes by the minute.....) going between Schiit and Topping. :)

Last edited:

REK2575

USB will support higher sample rates. Coaxial (and I think Optical too?) are capped at 192kHz.... which frankly is still excellent and definitely constitutes high-resolution.

EDIT -- I probably should have said 'are typically capped at' -- I'm not sure if it's a locked-in limitation - ?

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
In your sig you indicate you go USB to the DAC. Why not optical to the DAC? Is there any benefit to USB?
EDIT: Just used the search feature. Nevermind. :)

I'm presently (it changes by the minute.....) going between Schiit and Topping. :)
If you don't need volume control the new Schiit Modius seems great (@amirms thoughts). Otherwise the E30 is a no-brainer. Honestly there's so many great measuring dacs within the $100-$500 pricerange - All you need to consider is: 1. Balanced YES/NO and 2. Volume Control YES/NO.

OP
S

Sounchasr

If you don't need volume control the new Schiit Modius seems great (@amirms thoughts). Otherwise the E30 is a no-brainer. Honestly there's so many great measuring dacs within the $100-$500 pricerange - All you need to consider is: 1. Balanced YES/NO and 2. Volume Control YES/NO.

I don't need volume as my amp will handle. What do you mean by "balanced"?

ichonderoga

Forum Donor

CASE2112

Forum Donor
OP
S

Sounchasr

How do you think the D70 compares with the Schiit Modius? I know the Topping is more expensive but is it worth more?
I was looking at the Schiit Bifrost 2 but those are on backorder and I'm impatient. :) I want to buy SOMETHING.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't need volume as my amp will handle. What do you mean by "balanced"?

Balanced connections use a 3 wire connection with +,-, and ground, rather than a 2 wire as in rca. They can be very handy if available to eliminate interference, especially on longer cable runs (like, hundreds of meters), but also in normal use to negate 'ground loop' issues.

Basically, if you have gear with a bigger round connector with three pins, that's a balanced connector, and just takes a different cable than the 'normal' rca.

If I have them available, I use them. If I don't, I don't worry about it...

There's a bit more to it than that if you want to dig into it, but that's the gist...
15922737183099035150763345964189.jpg

OP
S

Sounchasr

Well, I went back and forth and finally decided to buy the Topping D70. I don't know if it will be any better than the E30 or any of the cheaper alternatives but it looked good and they price matched. Should have it in a week.

Neutron

Well, I went back and forth and finally decided to buy the Topping D70. I don't know if it will be any better than the E30 or any of the cheaper alternatives but it looked good and they price matched. Should have it in a week.

The added connectors ensure a wide upgrade path in the future. I would not doubt it. With D70 it is preferred to use XLR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom