• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AMA about the Sanskrit 10th MKII/V2 AK4493 edition

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
I've had this small behemoth for about a week now and I'm very happy about it. It sounds amazing . Ask me about it. I don't have any fancy measuring equipment so please don't ask me the measure Jitter, FTT, SiNaD ... ;-)

Here's what I've learned so far:
  1. Sound pop when changing to/from DSD256 and only at this samplerate. Most other changes are silent (I don't have any DSD128 or DSD512 files).
  2. All Filters seem to sound more or less the same to me so I'm sticking with the default FL1.
    • Filter-aficionados can visit Nihtilas site for further explanation - Thanks to @Jarrett for the link.
    • The filter list picture I've attached is made from multiple sources on the Internet and adapted to fit this device.
  3. A proper USB cable (thicker AWG and OFC) is required for me since it acted weird and seemed underpowered (disconnected radomnly) when first connected to my htpc (a laptop)
    • Confirmed that the cable I previously used was bad, after I sadly fried a Raspberry Pi with it :-( (good thing it didn't fry the MKII)
  4. I installed the driver from 2020-03-13 from SMSLs website + SMSL manuals
  5. I have AUX power connected eventhough the revisit confirms this isn't necessary
  6. I haven't been able to confirm what hardware is inside my unit since trying to disassemble it stripped one of the screws. They are made of very soft aluminium (who makes screws out of AL?!). And taking my Dremel to the unit is a bit premature.
  7. Windows Sound System limit is 32/384 (thx @Veri). But the device supports higher samplerates through WASAPI/ASIO (see attached).
  8. Works great in Foobar ASIO-mode (except for DSD256 see #1)
  9. Definitely sounds better than my previous DAC the Sanskrit Pro-B AK4490 (panda-stack)
  10. The banana is 7,5x4,5x14,4cm
  11. The XMOS chip is XU208-128-TQ64-C10 with part marking U30870C10 (datasheet)
  12. Settings are retained after power loss (volume, input, filter, etc.)
  13. DAC ONLY MODE / LINE OUT: turn the device to full volume.
UPDATE 9/6-2020: Really enjoying this DAC on a daily basis connected to a pair of Libratone ZIPP active speakers on my work pc. It's an awesome device (and bargain). Alas I have since caught the DAC-bug which means that I also bought a Topping D90 for my main setup. Eventhough the D90 is 5-6 times the price it sure doesn't sound 6 times better than the MKII - It sounds better but by a hair not a mile (subtracting buyers bias they might very well sound the same).

My impressions-post of the D90: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-about-the-topping-d90-non-mqa-version.13128/

Attachments

• smsl_10th_scale_banana.png
    smsl_10th_scale_banana.png
    812.2 KB · Views: 1,943
  • smsl_10th_filters.png
    smsl_10th_filters.png
    76 KB · Views: 3,513
  • smsl_10th_samplerate.png
    smsl_10th_samplerate.png
    304.7 KB · Views: 1,998
  • smsl_properties.png
    smsl_properties.png
    247.3 KB · Views: 1,196
Last edited:

nicky

OK so you say the 4493 is a big step up the 4490? I have an smsl A8 that sounds great. It uses the 4490.
I got better sound by ditching the xmos interface and going trougt a simple cm6631a interface.

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
OK so you say the 4493 is a big step up the 4490? I have an smsl A8 that sounds great. It uses the 4490.
I got better sound by ditching the xmos interface and going trougt a simple cm6631a interface.
Whether or not the AK4493 is any better than the AK4490 I can't say since the device is filled with many other components. I just know that this implementation of an AKM chip sounds better than my Sanskrit Pro-B.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't been able to confirm what hardware is inside my unit since trying to disassemble it stripped one of the screws. They are made of very soft aluminium (who makes screws out of AL?!). And taking my Dremel to the unit is a bit premature.
That's the spirit...lol... lets DIY MOD this baby and disect. :D

Tks

Major Contributor
Is it possible to take an image of the display on? Or does taking images of it fail because of a camera effect that doesn't make the image look like what it would look like to the human eye?

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Is it possible to take an image of the display on? Or does taking images of it fail because of a camera effect that doesn't make the image look like what it would look like to the human eye?
Nope taking pictures of it works fine (see below). The lighting is very subtle and even in line of sight at night it doesn't bother - That is to say it's just the right amount of brightness. Quick pressing the FN-button makes the little "dot" light up and shuts off the samplerate indicator (pic. 2).
smsl_display - Copy.JPG
smsl_display_dot - Copy.JPG

Jarrett

Great, the chart must apply to the E30 too.

This applies to the AK4490 (AK4493 has a sixth filter)

Linear phase Sharp Roll-off (AKMnotation: “no delay”): this is the “standard” sharp roll-off filter found isall DACs. It is also known as the “brickwall” filter. It is said thatpre-ringing sounds unnatural.

Linear phase Slow Roll-off (AKMnotation: “no delay”): this is also a “standard” filter found in all DACs. Asin the linear phase sharp roll-off filter, it also generates pre-ringing, buttrading lower amounts of pre-ringing with letting more aliased image through (theoretically increasing harmonic distortion).

Short delay Sharp Roll-off (AKM notation:“short delay”): this is also called the “minimum phase” or “apodizing” filterthat was the rage a few years back. Whereas in the past audio engineers have insisted in phase linearity (meaning all frequencies have equal phase ordelay), More recent research have shown that a “minimum phase” filter sacrifices some of the phase linearity (adds some phase distortion) for bettertime response. This filter removes all the “unnatural” pre-ringing but “dumps”all that energy to post-ringing. Implementation of this filter is also found inthe Wolfson WM8741/8742 DACs

Short delay Slow Roll-off (AKMnotation: “short delay”): this is a “more modern” type of filter also found inthe Wolfson WM8741/8742 DACs. In addition to eliminating pre-ringing, this filter also incorporates slow roll-off and this reduces post ringing as well.
The properties of this filter aresimilar to the "MP Filter" found in Ayres latest CD player.

Super Slow Roll-off: this filter is the differentiating feature (in terms of built-in filters) that this DAC provides. The AKM literature says “super slow roll-off filter with emphasized characteristics”(which really means nothing).

http://nihtila.com/2019/10/18/dac-digital-filters-part-2-deeper-dive-into-ak4490-and-ak4493-filters/

Low dispersion is new to the AK4493

Last edited:
OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Considering trying one of these paired with an XTZ edge power amp. the Dac would serve as preamp and dac.

When the dac is switched on, whats the default volume setting at ?
Does the remote work well and would it work well from 10ft away ?

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Dear @MissMarplesexbomb and @hawk01. Previous volume is kept even when powered completely off. Volume via remote is “subpar”. The remote + device is very directional hence off angle adjustment needs to be done with the remote pointing directly at the device. I usually use Windows to control volume (lossless). Even with this said the device performs excellent and I’m recommending it to everyone in need of a dac and even those who aren’t ;) Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning

My Sanskrit 10th Mk II arrived last week. Been enjoying it this morning when I discovered the six filters. I was hoping to read about them in the manual that was provided with the unit, but it looks like my copy is for the previous version (no mention of filters, and the manual says that the central button on the remote has no function, which is not the case with the Mk II).

The link to the manual that you provided a while back no longer seems to work (404). Please let me know if you have discovered where the Mk II manual has been moved to. Thanks.

Update: Found it on this page: https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/downlist/id/12.html

SMSL Business End.jpg

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
My Sanskrit 10th Mk II arrived last week. Been enjoying it this morning when I discovered the six filters. I was hoping to read about them in the manual that was provided with the unit, but it looks like my copy is for the previous version (no mention of filters, and the manual says that the central button on the remote has no function, which is not the case with the Mk II).

The link to the manual that you provided a while back no longer seems to work (404). Please let me know if you have discovered where the Mk II manual has been moved to. Thanks.

Update: Found it on this page: https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/downlist/id/12.html

View attachment 87353
What a nice assortment of devices on that table! :-D I myself have been enjoying it and the L30 paired with 6xx’s. The combo is “cheap” as HiFi goes but man does it kick a$$ :)

higui

I've had this small behemoth for about a week now and I'm very happy about it. It sounds amazing . Ask me about it. I don't have any fancy measuring equipment so please don't ask me the measure Jitter, FTT, SiNaD ... ;-)

Here's what I've learned so far:
  1. Sound pop when changing to/from DSD256 and only at this samplerate. Most other changes are silent (I don't have any DSD128 or DSD512 files).
  2. All Filters seem to sound more or less the same to me so I'm sticking with the default FL1.
    • Filter-aficionados can visit Nihtilas site for further explanation - Thanks to @Jarrett for the link.
    • The filter list picture I've attached is made from multiple sources on the Internet and adapted to fit this device.
  3. A proper USB cable (thicker AWG and OFC) is required for me since it acted weird and seemed underpowered (disconnected radomnly) when first connected to my htpc (a laptop)
    • Confirmed that the cable I previously used was bad, after I sadly fried a Raspberry Pi with it :-( (good thing it didn't fry the MKII)
  4. I installed the driver from 2020-03-13 from SMSLs website
  5. I have AUX power connected eventhough the revisit confirms this isn't necessary
  6. I haven't been able to confirm what hardware is inside my unit since trying to disassemble it stripped one of the screws. They are made of very soft aluminium (who makes screws out of AL?!). And taking my Dremel to the unit is a bit premature.
  7. Windows Sound System limit is 32/384 (thx @Veri). But the device supports higher samplerates through WASAPI/ASIO (see attached).
  8. Works great in Foobar ASIO-mode (except for DSD256 see #1)
  9. Definitely sounds better than my previous DAC the Sanskrit Pro-B AK4490 (panda-stack)
  10. The banana is 7,5x4,5x14,4cm
  11. The XMOS chip is XU208-128-TQ64-C10 with part marking U30870C10 (datasheet)
  12. Settings are retained after power loss (volume, input, filter, etc.)
  13. DAC ONLY MODE / LINE OUT: turn the device to full volume.
UPDATE 9/6-2020: Really enjoying this DAC on a daily basis connected to a pair of Libratone ZIPP active speakers on my work pc. It's an awesome device (and bargain). Alas I have since caught the DAC-bug which means that I also bought a Topping D90 for my main setup. Eventhough the D90 is 5-6 times the price it sure doesn't sound 6 times better than the MKII - It sounds better but by a hair not a mile (subtracting buyers bias they might very well sound the same).

My impressions-post of the D90: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-about-the-topping-d90-non-mqa-version.13128/

Hi, i'm interested about how to set the "DAC ONLY MODE / LINE OUT: turn the device to full volume", can't find it in the product manual.
Thanks

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, i'm interested about how to set the "DAC ONLY MODE / LINE OUT: turn the device to full volume", can't find it in the product manual.

You literally just quoted the answer: "turn the device to full volume", meaning use the provided remote control to set the volume to its maximum setting (0 dB attenuation).

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Thanks
What @dsnyder0cnn said ;-)

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Had a tough time to get the remote starting to work. Last time, it worked fine. I have decided to not use remote for volume, because it got stuck in lower volume (with previous setting saved by default) .. lol, took more than 30 mins to check all angles for the remote to get working. Finally (now), it started working.
Yeah the remote can be a finicky. What works for me is fresh battery and angles less than 30'degrees pointing at it. But mostly I control volume elsewhere (Windows etc.)

Reactions: PSO
Top Bottom