• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem to introduce new models!

Tlsrulz

Agreed the value in the denon 3700 and 4300 is clearly a plus.. but need to understand how they are planning on fixing the 4K/120 issue...even then with the $$ saved I could just buy the newer model in 2021 if that's fixed and sell the broken one and still probably come out ahead..

Tlsrulz

Yea.. little more $$ here in Canada.. but I think that's the route I'll go.

cbrents73

Audio Company
Got a question maybe Chris can check.
For the 740 is it possible if I am using external amplification for the base 7 channels to configure it to use the internal amps for the 4 Atmos ceiling speakers.

I'm debating between the 70 vs the 740. The extra price I'll get.
-15 ch processing
- better DAC
- DTS-pro
- balanced outputs.
- 2x independent sub outs.
Did I miss anything...

The 740 is already 2x the denon 3700 I was considering ... but it's not without its problems so waiting to see how that reaolves.. but can't wait for forever. The 70 is then another 1K on top of the 740 so it completely blows the budget... love this hobby.

Great dilemma isn't it...this hobby definitely has its challenges! The answer to your first question about the channel configurations is yes, you can use the amps in the receiver to handle the Atmos channels while your external amp is running the main 7. The only amplifier channel not reassign-able in 740 is the Center Channel. Also, the sub outs are independent and not summed to mono as before - this will be an upgrade in ARC Genesis' Software in managing those.
There is a sonic advantage to having a straight Pre/Pro versus using a Receiver - my opinion (so I don't want to offend anyone), to which, I think you'd be better off using the AVM70 and just running 7 channels versus trying to add Atmos Speakers and using the receiver as the Pre/Pro, especially if your amp has balanced inputs. The AVM70 uses a toroidal power transformer with lower noise than the iron core transformer used in the 740. See "Truly Balanced" vs "Fully Balanced" : https://www.anthemav.com/support/faq.php
We're assuming your amp is better than what's in the receiver and that's the whole purpose for proposing a Pre/Pro over using a Receiver to begin with. 7 Great Speakers, or 11 or 15 just ok/mediocre speakers? It's a quality over quantity debate, but I think you highlighted all the features that the AVM70 has over the 740 except that all of our Receivers and Processors are supposed to have an HDMI 2.1 upgrade path.
Once they're all shipping and available, it should be easier to get a grasp on everything. Thanks for the questions and have a Happy New Year!

Tlsrulz

Thanks Chris for the reponse..
I was a little unclear as the manual that was posted earlier was unclear about height reassignment .. so will wait for an official manual release. Here you can see it just says "Height 3"... what about Height 1 and 2 ?

20201230_222943.jpg

Yea I currently have Bryston 6B SST for the LCR. And 2x 4B SST for the surrounds.. (maybe overkill..) but I've had them for last 15yrs.... and yes they accept balanced.
Cant wait for the release in Jan (hopefully) and then decide which way to go..

Happy New Year to everyone.

Last edited:

cbrents73

Audio Company
The manuals should be revised hopefully by the time we’re ready to ship product.

I sold Bryston years ago and are fine products. Based on experience, I don’t have to hear the 740 to know that the AVM70 will do a better job of controlling those amps than a Receiver will, but I know you have to research it yourself and purchase what you can afford to. Good luck!

jsgrise

The manuals should be revised hopefully by the time we’re ready to ship product.

I sold Bryston years ago and are fine products. Based on experience, I don’t have to hear the 740 to know that the AVM70 will do a better job of controlling those amps than a Receiver will, but I know you have to research it yourself and purchase what you can afford to. Good luck!

New here and just pre-ordered an AVM70, my first processor. My dealer told me they expect the unit to ship mid-January, is that still realistic?

jlm70

Anything new coming out from the CES?

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
Great dilemma isn't it...this hobby definitely has its challenges! The answer to your first question about the channel configurations is yes, you can use the amps in the receiver to handle the Atmos channels while your external amp is running the main 7. The only amplifier channel not reassign-able in 740 is the Center Channel. Also, the sub outs are independent and not summed to mono as before - this will be an upgrade in ARC Genesis' Software in managing those.
There is a sonic advantage to having a straight Pre/Pro versus using a Receiver - my opinion (so I don't want to offend anyone), to which, I think you'd be better off using the AVM70 and just running 7 channels versus trying to add Atmos Speakers and using the receiver as the Pre/Pro, especially if your amp has balanced inputs. The AVM70 uses a toroidal power transformer with lower noise than the iron core transformer used in the 740. See "Truly Balanced" vs "Fully Balanced" : https://www.anthemav.com/support/faq.php
We're assuming your amp is better than what's in the receiver and that's the whole purpose for proposing a Pre/Pro over using a Receiver to begin with. 7 Great Speakers, or 11 or 15 just ok/mediocre speakers? It's a quality over quantity debate, but I think you highlighted all the features that the AVM70 has over the 740 except that all of our Receivers and Processors are supposed to have an HDMI 2.1 upgrade path.
Once they're all shipping and available, it should be easier to get a grasp on everything. Thanks for the questions and have a Happy New Year!

These are good question(s) and response(s) - Thank you.
I had/have seen so much data and see there is a reasonably large delta besides the channel count on the 1140 vs 740. What I’d really like as a comparison is the differences (besides the amplification) between the MRX1140 and the AVM 70. DAC, Sub management, audio formats, upgrade paths, etc. as they are near the same price this appears an app comparison. I am personally going back and forth here - heavily leaning towards either of these products in my upgrade/modernization of my AVSystem........

thanks!

cbrents73

Audio Company
I had/have seen so much data and see there is a reasonably large delta besides the channel count on the 1140 vs 740. What I’d really like as a comparison is the differences (besides the amplification) between the MRX1140 and the AVM 70. DAC, Sub management, audio formats, upgrade paths, etc. as they are near the same price this appears an app comparison. I am personally going back and forth here - heavily leaning towards either of these products in my upgrade/modernization of my AVSystem........

thanks!
The MRX1140 and AVM70 will have all of the same functionality, its just a matter of wanting a standalone pre/pro or have a receiver and utilize the amps inside of it to run the Atmos channels. The AVM70 is still going to have an advantage over the 1140. Run some good XLR’s out of it to your amp and you’ll never look back and/or question it.

cbrents73

Audio Company
Anything new coming out from the CES?
Hi, to the best of my knowledge we didn’t participate in the virtual CES and I’m not aware of anything new for the International market that’s any different than what we’ve released here in the USA?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

thanks!

I would second the comments of Chris S. I have an Anthem AVM60 with a deposit on the next gen model. For me it came down to music listening, center speaker performance and overall amp quality. If you have a nice set of mains and quality amp(s) for them get the processor. You can run balanced outs and get a powerful multichannel amp for your surrounds. I know you can run a preout from the receiver but it's not the same. With the processor you'll never have to wonder if you're missing anything and the amps will last you at least 2-3 generations of processors. And don't forget the importance of the center; with a processor/amp combination you can be sure it is getting plenty of clean power for those actions scenes.

GTDTS

Can anyone comment on the STR-Preamp vs Stereo on the AVM70/AVM90...or the current line of Pre Amps? Would the STR really be better for stereo? Could anyone tell?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can anyone comment on the STR-Preamp vs Stereo on the AVM70/AVM90...or the current line of Pre Amps? Would the STR really be better for stereo? Could anyone tell?
It's hard to comment on the performance of the new processors until they're out there, but I have the AVM60 and the STR preamp and have listened to the STR preamp (which is superb) in HT bypass mode and compared it at length to using just the AVM60 and its PlayFi streaming function. I've listed to Spotify premium at 320 as well as Tidal/Qobuz. Granted I have 69 year old ears, but IMO there was no audible difference IN MY SYSTEM.
Remember that the effects of the room and speakers will be most influential. My room is medium size and the speakers are Revel 228be/paired Fathom 113v2. I even trained my wife to set up streaming via the STR preamp (Node 2i digital input) vs the AVM 60 alone so it was "blinded" in a very unscientific way. I expected some difference given that the STR preamp uses the more advanced room correction in ARC Genesis, something the AVM60 lacks.
Keep in mind that the new processors will have access to the latest ARC Genesis so the performance will be even closer. They will also have better measuring DACs but I doubt that will be audible. The new processors will also have much more flexible streaming options built in.
So IMHO I would suggest getting one of the new processors (mine is on order), buying the best speakers you can afford, set up the system with the new ARC Genesis and try it out. I would not advise adding an STR preamp for stereo listening as the difference would be very slight if at all.

GTDTS

I sincerely appreciate your feedback on this. Maybe you are right. I do have upgraditus right now. I hope the new AVM70 measures out well and the stereo is outstanding.
Let me know if you are interested in selling your STR Pre-Amp.

I have the Paradigm Prestige 85F's. Paradigm got me into this STUPID hobby. That coupled with how easy it is to stream music and my HSU sub, which I love. I love the bass response in my room and I absolutely love to shake the house...heck the neighbor's house and the school down the street...with that sub and throw a party. Most times however, I like to sit and really listen to 2 channel stereo.

I'm trying to see if there is something better than my 5 year old Onkyo...which does a pretty good job. I upgraded to a BlueSound streamer. Tidal and Deezer are tied...some tracks are better on each. Tidal is warmer and I think many times there is more there...Deezer seems brighter, therefore clearer, but just a touch more detailed than Spotify which is also brighter than Tidal. Spotify is very clear when connected to the Onkyo...not so much when going through BluOS.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Looks like the first of the AVM70s are being shipped. AVM90 still MIA.

I really have to admire the people who buy these things sight unseen and with no information (the specs are still missing from the web site and the manual still contains errors - e.g., shows AM/FM capability while the device will have no tuner).

According to third-hand information, apparently ARC Genesis software (from a PC/Mac) won't work with these units until a month or more. I assume this means using the default ARC auto EQ on the device will work but you cannot use the software to modify the targets and other parameters like correction range, etc.

I don't think I have seen such a botched launch of an entire generation of products as this one.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Product being sold and being delivered to customers with no specs in the manual or the product web page and the software for doing room eq not available for these units yet. :facepalm:

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
I also see there is no usb in? That to me is ...disappointing. Maybe not a deal breaker but a surprise.

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
No Roon either (yet). It sounds like rushing to market....
‘the bummer here is with no usb in with the Roon Nucleus as an example the only option is hdmi in.......is that a valid let down - as there is no path forward for usd in for a DAC or such devices?

Last edited:
Top Bottom