• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM90 AV Processor Review

Rate This AV Processor:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 92 46.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 86 43.0%

• Total voters

Russ_L

Forum Donor
The outputs are balanced. Some people want their avps to be input to output end to end balanced. The only one that is known to be differential/balanced from input to output is the Denon AVP-A1HD, launched many years ago. Such schemes are often referred to as fully balanced. Fully balanced end to end doesn't mean better sound quality, but some people just want it regardless.
Emotiva processors XMC-2, RMC-1 and RMC-1L are fully balanced input to output.

Russ

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Emotiva processors XMC-2, RMC-1 and RMC-1L are fully balanced input to output.

Russ
Thanks, but I don't trust those would do any better than the typical kind such as the AVM and AV's that are not end to end differential/balanced.:D

Russ_L

Forum Donor
Thanks, but I don't trust those would do any better than the typical kind such as the AVM and AV's that are not end to end differential/balanced.:D
The RMC-1 measured very well. I expect the next generation of Emotiva processors, due out next month, to measure even better.

Remember, true fully balanced beside doubling the amplitude of the signal CANCELS OUT the noise. This should yield a measurable benefit.

Russ

rynberg

Forum Donor
Who cares if the Emotiva garbage measures even better than the essentially audibly transparent Anthem when you are suffering your 1000th operating bug just trying to watch a movie or listen to music...

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who cares if the Emotiva garbage measures even better than the essentially audibly transparent Anthem when you are suffering your 1000th operating bug just trying to watch a movie or listen to music...
and the 30 second delays when switching inputs among other "features"

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember, true fully balanced beside doubling the amplitude of the signal CANCELS OUT the noise. This should yield a measurable benefit.

Russ
A little more complicated than that, so, please remember the following too:

- For such noise cancellation, you don't need those so called fully/truly balanced configurations, commonly found "balanced" schemes, including devices used in the proaudio, such as the Crown audio, QSC devices, and many hifi audio devices can do the same.
- Balanced circuits do not "cancels out" all noise, jus the common mode noise.
- The so called Truly, or fully balanced circuits don't "cancel" such common mode noise any more than the more commonly found balanced circuits used in AVPs such as the Anthem and Marantz flag ship AVPs, but such circuits, if designed and implemented perfectly, would cancel the even order harmonics as well.

I don't trust those so called fully balanced designed/implementation in the lower cost devices, because a) to perfectly "cancel" the harmonics, the two legs of such balanced designs have to be implemented with parts and components that have very tight tolerances, and as they say, you get what you pay for so I don't expect to get the fully benefits for such "fully balanced" 15 or more channels AVPs if they cost a lot less than some of the other mainstay devices such as Anthem, Marantz, Arcam, ATI's., b) even for those super expensive fully balanced devices, if you look at their bench measurements and their SINAD (that includes both noise and harmonic distortions), they are no betteer than the likes of Anthem, Arcam (some) and Marantz that have been measured and confirmed that they already achieved >100 dB SINAD, so why would I pay extra for the fully/truly balanced ones, but of course on money no object basis, okay, I'll go for one too. Just that I won't worry about truly balanced or not if have an AVP like the AVM90 or AV10 but of course ommv.

FriedChicken

If I had the money, I would buy this in a heartbeat

Top Bottom