• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Announcing beta-test of PKHarmonic VST plugin

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Oh,you mean the freq where the cursor is shown at the results below.
It's on 26.2Hz (not for any reason) while my speakers have F3 at 31Hz so nothing to see down there.

Furthermore,measurement is 30cm from the midrange-tweeter,like nearfield them,woofer is way down from there,you can tell by the response.
I should have gone more than one - two meters to get all of the drivers and then I would have the room there too.So...

Look higher,the red line.
No, I'm reading the THD numbers for each plot from the legend below the graph.

Sokel

Master Contributor
No, I'm reading the THD numbers for each plot from the legend below the graph.
We're saying the same thing then,legend shows the values where the cursor is,you can see it on the left highlighting the frequency (26.2Hz)
That's how REW works in all it's graphs.

Edit:example (same measurement,different cursor position) :

86.1.PNG 1027.PNG

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor

maty

Major Contributor
In December 2022 I bought the Magnat MA 900 hybrid integrated for my second audio system (computer, near field mainly, with my modified KEF Q100s - they sound much better than the originals). These days I am seriously thinking about changing the two stock tubes, JJ ECC81 in the preamp section. Finally yesterday I made the decision that the ones chosen would be the new Psvane 12AT7-S, matched.

But today I decided to further fine-tune the PKHarmonic v1.3 VST plugin. I believe that the chosen harmonics and their magnitudes are correct in all three configurations. So I have been playing with the Mix. I always use Hotel California to assess if the change is worth it (OS optimization, KEF Q100.. ). For now I am really liking this configuration, with the Mix at 4% (I have been progressively lowering it).

JRMC-DSP-PKHarmonic-v13-mix-4.png

In the attached images you can see the THD+N distortion at 1/3 of the maximum power, at 4 and 8 Ohms: 60 watts and 40 watts (at 10 watts or 1 watt the harmonics will be of much lower magnitude).

Attachments

• magnat_ma_900_1khz_spectrum_8ohm.jpg
    magnat_ma_900_1khz_spectrum_8ohm.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 45
  • magnat_ma_900_1khz_spectrum_4ohm.jpg
    magnat_ma_900_1khz_spectrum_4ohm.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Audiophonics - PSVANE 12AT7-S S.png
    Audiophonics - PSVANE 12AT7-S S.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 51
  • JJ ECC81.png
    JJ ECC81.png
    478.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Magnat MA 900 JJ ECC81.png
    Magnat MA 900 JJ ECC81.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • Magnat MA 900 preamp wall.png
    Magnat MA 900 preamp wall.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 45

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance of making this a Roon plug-in?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems that you might get this to work on Windows if you use Roon with Equalizer APO which supports VSTs and PKHarmonic.
Server-side? My roon servers are running ROCK

sweetsounds

As discussed in a separate thread, this is a beta-test of a VST (Windows) plugin to allow you to dial-in an arbitrary amount of harmonic distortion while playing music with your favorite music player. Now you can enjoy that second harmonic without investing many thousands of $$$ into a tube preamp :)

To help continue the development of PKHarmonic, DeltaWave, Distort, Earful and future free software, I ask you to consider making a small donation through the PKHarmonic page using the PayPal Donate button. Donate as much or as little as you want, but please consider how much money you're saving by not having to buy that tube preamp!!! If you do donate, please let me know which of my apps you enjoy and why.

Please post feedback, results, and suggestions for improvements in this thread.

Dear @pkane, any likeliness, that you could do a VST3 multichannel plugin and Mac version? It would help a lot of people with different setups.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear @pkane, any likeliness, that you could do a VST3 multichannel plugin and Mac version? It would help a lot of people with different setups.

Seems unlikely, but Mitch did send me a few links of projects that can help in the process. Doing it from scratch is too much work, but if I can find an existing VST3 project that I can modify or base mine on, I'll definitely think about it.

dday84

I downloaded PKHarmonic a couple days ago and have been using it in foobar 2000. I play guitar, and ever since discovering a few years ago just how great guitar amp simulation software and plugins are in replicating tube amps, I have thought somebody should be able develop software that can replicate stereo tube amps/preamps distortion for home audio.

I found this ability through PKHarmonic now, and I am loving it so far. I can season my digital music now with distortion I can control and find pleasing to my ears. What has surprised me so far is that I find adding H3 at almost the same level as H2 to be the most pleasing. At first I just added H2 and H4 but it overall sounded too smooth and dull to me. Once I added H3 to just a few DB down from H2 this made things much better to my ears. I also have H4 and H5 added at lower levels as well. Really enjoying this for most of the music I have listened to since applying the PKHarmonic plugin.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I downloaded PKHarmonic a couple days ago and have been using it in foobar 2000. I play guitar, and ever since discovering a few years ago just how great guitar amp simulation software and plugins are in replicating tube amps, I have thought somebody should be able develop software that can replicate stereo tube amps/preamps distortion for home audio.

I found this ability through PKHarmonic now, and I am loving it so far. I can season my digital music now with distortion I can control and find pleasing to my ears. What has surprised me so far is that I find adding H3 at almost the same level as H2 to be the most pleasing. At first I just added H2 and H4 but it overall sounded too smooth and dull to me. Once I added H3 to just a few DB down from H2 this made things much better to my ears. I also have H4 and H5 added at lower levels as well. Really enjoying this for most of the music I have listened to since applying the PKHarmonic plugin.

Glad you like it! Out of curiosity and to gather usage information, can you please share the actual settings you've settled on? You can post a screen shot of the PKHarmonic window, if that's easier.

dday84

Glad you like it! Out of curiosity and to gather usage information, can you please share the actual settings you've settled on? You can post a screen shot of the PKHarmonic window, if that's easier.

Here they are. I'll keep playing around with the settings further, but this is what I have settled on for now. I was wrong when I stated that I have H3 just a few dB down from H2, as it is actually 27 dB less than H2. I have H2 set at -53 db as the predominant harmonic and I also have nothing added at H5 like I indicated above. I also have the mix set at 100%.

1711843195615.png

pjasio253

Hello, I have a request for people using this plugin. Can you share a few short snippets of your favorite songs recorded on your phone with the plug-in on and off? I would like to compare how audible the sound changes are after using this plug-in. Thank you very much.

Top Bottom