• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Announcing beta-test of PKHarmonic VST plugin

Are you serious?

Phone sound quality would make this a pointless exercise.

Well, you're right, it might be nonsense. But maybe the person who hears a difference after using this plug-in will also find that it is audible in such a recording. Of course, the telephone is a gross simplification, using a good quality microphone would probably be better. He simply doesn't want to cause anyone any trouble with his request. If I'm still wrong, I apologize for writing ill-considered things.

Well, you're right, it might be nonsense. But maybe the person who hears a difference after using this plug-in will also find that it is audible in such a recording. Of course, the telephone is a gross simplification, using a good quality microphone would probably be better. He simply doesn't want to cause anyone any trouble with his request. If I'm still wrong, I apologize for writing ill-considered things.

It's not that difficult to record directly from the digital output, which will bypass all the issues with microphone recording. You just need a loop-back driver, something that can feed the digital output back to digital input.

That’s in a future version :) My main priority with this was to duplicate DISTORT harmonics and then package it up as a VST. Once that’s stable, I’ll work on new features.
Can you tell us when the future version (with phase each harmonic) will be planned?
Also, For parts that don't work properly in Equalizer APO, the APO's creator should fix it, right? (Of course, it works well in Foobar, but the APO's developer seems to be out of action for almost a few years.)

Can you tell us when the future version (with phase each harmonic) will be planned?
Also, For parts that don't work properly in Equalizer APO, the APO's creator should fix it, right? (Of course, it works well in Foobar, but the APO's developer seems to be out of action for almost a few years.)
No plan as of now. I've implemented this already in my Multitone app, where (anti)distortion harmonics and their phase can be controlled separately. That is a more complex process and takes longer to generate the transfer function, which makes it less real-time than the current PKHarmonic. For this reason, and for the apparent lack of demand :), I've not spent much time thinking about it.

I'm not sure what issues are still there with EQU APO. As I understand from others (and from my own testing), PKHarmonic works fine with it.

No plan as of now. I've implemented this already in my Multitone app, where (anti)distortion harmonics and their phase can be controlled separately. That is a more complex process and takes longer to generate the transfer function, which makes it less real-time than the current PKHarmonic. For this reason, and for the apparent lack of demand :), I've not spent much time thinking about it.
:eek: I understand and sad news.

I'm not sure what issues are still there with EQU APO. As I understand from others (and from my own testing), PKHarmonic works fine with it.
I've also checked that most of them work with EQ APO, but I think it's probably an issue with APO. I think it's showing the only graph strangely.
I left a ticket on the APO site about this, but I also asked you just in case. (The developer of the program "peace" that utilizes APO's features tried this and told me that the same weird graph appears.)

Thanks
I didn't see this VST before, but I love the idea.
Note that to really emulate a tube or transformer preamp, you'd need something more sophisticated than this:
Each harmonic level should be varying with the signal level and frequency.
But that's a good first step.

Thanks
Note that to really emulate a tube or transformer preamp, you'd need something more sophisticated than this:

1717726125197.png

I don't know how this will actually work, but I've also seen a form of vst like that.

Thanks

The harmonics obviously already vary with level of the signal -- these are applied using a reconstructed non-linearity, not by simply adding a specific harmonic frequency at a specific level. The assumption is that the nonlinearity of the device is mostly static, i.e., doesn't change (much) with level.

Compression and other dynamic effects would obviously not fit into this static model. I've considered adding compressors to PKHarmonic but thought that would complicate things. Plus, there are plenty of other compressor VSTs out there, already :)

I did do exactly that in the DISTORT app, including some simple controls to configure custom compressors, even with some presets to try:

1717757221630.png

As for varying nonlinearity with frequency, yes, I've done that as well :) in that same DISTORT app. This was modeled as a limited bandwidth feedback loop which allowed for different levels of nonlinearity controlled by the user-specified bandwidth of the FB loop and its gain setting. Again, I thought this was too complicated of a control to even explain for a simple VST...

But first, I've been asked to convert this to a VST 3 Steinberg SDK, which for now is a priority as VST 2 is no longer supported or distributed.

:eek: I understand and sad news.

I've also checked that most of them work with EQ APO, but I think it's probably an issue with APO. I think it's showing the only graph strangely.
I left a ticket on the APO site about this, but I also asked you just in case. (The developer of the program "peace" that utilizes APO's features tried this and told me that the same weird graph appears.)
Yes, strange about EQU APO. As we communicated privately a while back, I don't see that same behavior at all. PKHarmonic also appears to produce the correct result when measured at the output of Windows device driver with EQU APO engaged. I can't say if this is a bug in EQU APO graph or something else, since I can't duplicate this. Here's my set up on Windows 10 + EQU APO with PKHarmonic:

index.php

@pkane
View attachment 373653

Would you like to click the power button on your capture?
Your Vst is currently disabled.
Ah yes, I can see the chart shows this incorrectly for some reason:

1717763900807.png

Here's the actual signal captured at Windows output with the EQU APO settings as shown above for PKHarmonic. Clearly the analysis chart in EQU APO isn't working right:

1717764019813.png

Ah yes, I can see the chart shows this incorrectly for some reason:

View attachment 373657

Here's the actual signal captured at Windows output with the EQU APO settings as shown above for PKHarmonic. Clearly the analysis chart in EQU APO isn't working right:

View attachment 373658
finally! This is what apo users used to say, "The graph is weird!"
Obviously, I know the graph is weird, but I couldn't ignore the scary red clipping of 67db in the bottom left.
One more weird thing is, when you active VST and press bypass.
But it's going to be kind of weird. It's definitely a bypass =)

Of course, I also know that the graph of APO itself works strangely, but is there anything I should check on the VST side?
Because I enjoy using various VSTs and I also use a lot of True Stereo convolutions like 4ch and 14ch like hesuvi.

And there were times when the response was seen as abnormal in some cases of vst. It's a simple reverb plug-in, but there's a huge clipping down about 10hz (I can't remember which vst it was)

But since most vsts haven't had that experience (not vsts that are as luxurious and fine-grained as yours, of course), I'm going to ask you carefully once. (Of course, we can use it in foobar, but some users only use APO.)

finally! This is what apo users used to say, "The graph is weird!"
Obviously, I know the graph is weird, but I couldn't ignore the scary red clipping of 67db in the bottom left.
One more weird thing is, when you active VST and press bypass.
But it's going to be kind of weird. It's definitely a bypass =)
Yes, bypass works, too. I can't help with EQU graph display -- it's obviously incorrect. There is no clipping. Here's white noise and frequency response using those same settings I used above with PKHarmonic enabled:

1717764988339.png

And here's with the bypass button engaged. Note that I'm using a 96k recording auto-resampled by Windows to 48k, which explains some of the extra harmonics you see below -140dB, but clearly, PKHarmonic is bypassed:

1717765187759.png

Back
Top Bottom