• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jones describing the new floor stander:

Finally watched the video. Didn’t realize the woofers were underhung - that makes me irrationally happy.

Based on a short demo they’re good speakers and I expect them to be a winner. Hopefully shipping costs don’t kill them.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let's say it is more of a dual-gap scenario. Underhung has a long single gap, where these have 2. I talked with him Saturday. The magnets are charged, and then fit to the frames with opposing fields by a machine and then anchored into place. The coil ends are in gaps, whereas the middle is not as I understand it. Tolerances are tight. The control on this voice coil is immense, and the bass and extension is just spectacular.

cavedriver

Let's say it is more of a dual-gap scenario. Underhung has a long single gap, where these have 2. I talked with him Saturday. The magnets are charged, and then fit to the frames with opposing fields by a machine and then anchored into place. The coil ends are in gaps, whereas the middle is not as I understand it. Tolerances are tight. The control on this voice coil is immense, and the bass and extension is just spectacular.
Andrew further confirming his reputation for knowing a thing or two about making great bass from a speaker. :)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh boy, they look CHUNKY! I was considering buying a set but the depth alone looks to be a no no for my living room
They didn’t strike me as overly large or super deep. The 10s OTOH just look ungainly IMO.

Wolf

That video uses a panoramic lens to get the whole shot in one frame. That is why the bottom and top of the 888 skew towards the extreme corners of the room. They really are not skewed like that, nor are they very deep at all.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
the 888 skew towards the extreme corners of the room. They really are not skewed like that, nor are they very deep at all.

I dunno, they look kinda deep in this photo from Stereophile. About twice as deep as Revel F208s, which would be ~ direct competition in driver array and price. (F208s now discontinued, however. We await the Performa 4 generation...) These do look interesting. Can't wait for Erin's measurements. :cool:

Mofi888.jpg

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They're WxHxD 320 x 410 x 1070 mm (12.6” x 16.1” x 42.1”) according to the website.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I appreciate that these are among the very few speakers available today with (what appear to be) non-diffracting grilles.

ta240

Major Contributor
I'd estimate a footprint of roughly 10"x15".
They sure look deeper but I guess it is just the camara angle in that picture. The pictures on their site don't look as deep.

They're WxHxD 320 x 410 x 1070 mm (12.6” x 16.1” x 42.1”) according to the website.
Which is right there with Wolf's estimate but it is funny that unless I'm reading it wrong, that says they are 16.1" high and 42.1" deep.

Robert-Hifi

I appreciate that these are among the very few speakers available today with (what appear to be) non-diffracting grilles.

I hope so since I like to keep the grilles on at all times, but I'm not sure about that.
In the TikTok/YouTube video from Dreamedia you can see the frame of the grille due to the lighting casting a shadow when the guy puts it back on.

Attachments

• Mofi Sourcepoint 888 grilles.png
    Mofi Sourcepoint 888 grilles.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 61

cavedriver

I hope so since I like to keep the grilles on at all times, but I'm not sure about that.
In the TikTok/YouTube video from Dreamedia you can see the frame of the grille due to the lighting casting a shadow when the guy puts it back on.
Because the face of that speaker appears to be deeply faceted just like the SP8 and SP10, the grill is "concave" so it would cast a shadow as it goes on the front of the speaker. Listening to the SP10 I don't remember the grill haven't hardly any effect on the sound, but unlike some other speakers I'll say the 10 looked really cool with the grills off. The purifi drivers on my Philharmonic HT's are very disturbing to see and I have to keep the grills on those speakers or they cause me stress :)

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They sure look deeper but I guess it is just the camara angle in that picture. The pictures on their site don't look as deep.

Which is right there with Wolf's estimate but it is funny that unless I'm reading it wrong, that says they are 16.1" high and 42.1" deep.

Sorry, 42.1 is the height of course

MarkS

Major Contributor
Bummer!

Sokel

Master Contributor
Now that Erin wants to buy the towers for himself will the biasing talk against the Blades shift?

(as a side note, I'm readying my internet warrior suit,he's gonna measure Rockports :p )

Top Bottom