• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANC Headphones for Hard of Hearing

Steve96

I am very hard of hearing ecspecially in the high frequencies and coincidentionally I like listening to music even though I'm 'partially (tone) deaf.' I'm starting to travel more and I can use some good ANC headphones to drown out more external low noise, preferably (slightly) bright sounding and/or with good eq to turn down bass and increase treble. I tried Sony m4/5 in store and didnt really cut it and Bose 700 were decent. I own a worn pair of ATHM50x and Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee that I only listen to on my desktop with eq, headphone dac and amp and sound pretty good listening mostly to pop, rock and metal. I was thinking about trying maybe Momentum 4, Anker Soundcore 45 (I liked the 35), Beyerdynamic Lagoon, Cleer Enduro/Alpha all WIRED or whatever you can reccomend and under $400 please. Thanks

I read most of the other posts on ANC recommendations but don't think they really focus on the hard of hearing

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
but don't think they really focus on the hard of hearing
Quite the opposite even. One can turn down the volume compared to non NC closed headphones even.
Also the max. SPL is often capped by the max. power output of the internal amplifier.

Pretorious

Have you tried the Bose QuietComfort 45? It has a strong treble emphasis, more so than the 700. With the Bose Music app you can adjust the bass, mids and treble to taste. You can see the frequency response here:

bose-quietcomfort-45-frequency-response.jpg

And as compared to the Bose 700 (in yellow):

bose-quietcomfort-45-frequency-response-vs-bose-noise-cancelling-headphones-700.jpg.webp

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's 0dB's ANC Headphone ranking:
cd1a28a5f13c3a03154794df8f4b023b.png
Measured on a GRAS 45CA-10 with pink noise so not perfect, but serviceable.
Source

Looks like both the QC45 and Q45 would be good choices for ANC.
The Soundcore has a nice 8-band GEQ with the ability to create presets, which should be handy for tuning the sound to your preference. See here.

OP
S

Steve96

Thanks for the reccomendations, and the graphs and knowing theres a good eq helps.

Top Bottom