• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analysis of Paper on Measurements of RCA Cables by Kunchur (Video)

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm Isn't the wavelength of 20KHz around a little bit higher than one centimeter? Am i missing something in your transmission line explanation?
This is in terms of the propagation velocity of electrical signals, and not sound. It is indeed quite short in air :) But much longer at the speed of light.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm Isn't the wavelength of 20KHz around a little bit higher than one centimeter? Am i missing something in your transmission line explanation?
Nope: https://www.everythingrf.com/rf-calculators/frequency-to-wavelength

1661511365814.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The scope he used only has 8 bits resolution, 11 bits with some math magic..

Sokel

Master Contributor
So,if I understood correctly this guy is wrong at his very actual field of expertise (wavelengths,of light mostly but is the same)?WTF?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So,if I understood correctly this guy is wrong at his very actual field of expertise (wavelengths,of light mostly but is the same)?WTF?
No, he is just neglecting the significance of all he finds for audio, omitting things, etc etc Sure he is a great astrophysicist. He's just having fun, I was serious about it. :D Of course he is also neglecting all kinds of evidence and knowledge on the field, but I guess that's part of the fun too. Anyone is free to write. The fact that someone has accepted as marginally valid any of this papers, that's a different subject.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Haven’t watch the video (nor made the calculation) but You are probably thinking speed of sound in the air, not transmission line theory.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
No, he is just neglecting the significance of all he finds for audio, omitting things, etc etc Sure he is a great astrophysicist. He's just having fun, I was serious about it. :D Of course he is also neglecting all kinds of evidence and knowledge on the field, but I guess that's part of the fun too. Anyone is free to write. The fact that someone has accepted as marginally valid any of this papers, that's a different subject.
He probably has the same friends as I do,trying to push him into the cable and hiend stuff.
We don't all have the same resistances :cool:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I dont get this. He is a Phys. Prof. and this is now the second time you can call the paper realy scientific.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The High End Audio industry is at a crossroad: For the longest time they maintained that measures didn't matter but are now forced, in great part thanks to ASR, to confront the absurdity of $15,000.oo DAC faring no better than a $9.95 one... my all time favorite example. They looked for, and found a friendly soul with the appropriate credentials, the man is/has a PhD after all. TBH in their ranks there used to be or still are, a few fellows with such , one in particular a vehement and somewhat caustic reviewer used to be with Audio Video Showrooms whose founder recently passed away, RIP.
This wouldn't be the first industry to try that. That the HEA has, comes to be very interesting. They got to find a way to justify their prices... and this was an exemple.. poor one, and it has, as we expected.. been debunked, some would say "ravaged" and the street lingo would say "violated" :D ...

Peace.

Last edited:

Bruce80

I've been lurking here for years but just to say thanks, I've finally registered today to reply:
This video post is amazing. @amirm has debunked every leg that this paper stands on in an easy to understand manner. Thank you for putting the effort in creating it.
Highly appreciated.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm 5 mins into the video and the paper never mentions the cable full specifications(??) That's not scientific, it's just a guy playing with cables with extra steps in between. Pretty interesting for a blog, not good enough for a paper publication (with all due respect to Milind N. Kunchur). I haven't read his 2nd paper, but conformation bias in research is true and it's happening more often than we think.
Should I keep watching?
No. If you go on the assumption that Kunchur is hopelessly wrong about anything he writes outside of his actual field of expertise, you'll not miss anything and save a lot of effort.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I enjoyed this video much, I feel it as if you are doing an invaluable service for the community.

Top Bottom