• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifiers - DACs | Eat Schiit, audiophiles!

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Well, his banner says "Beer Hero". I like to accommodate friends. ...Gold Beer.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$799 for a 20 watt amp? That is "Class A-ish"....meaning class AB?

I don't get it. What's the unique value prop?

It's not especially small.

It's not very powerful.

It's not particularly cheap.

It doesn't have any "secret sauce" like tubes or being SET.

The elephant in the room that is, the equivalent of the emperors clothes. I can get into my car and drive to the local branch of a well known British hi-fi chain whose local branch is just next to my local railway station and buy a range of very well built integrated amplifiers which are transparent with most speakers at reasonable listening levels and which cost half the price or less of this Schiit new amp. And many of the alternatives include perfectly good DACs for digital inputs. And given the power of this Schiit I'm guessing it'll start to clip and degrade long before the cheaper alternatives from Onkyo, Marantz, Cambridge audio etc. And at the risk of prejudging I've got an awful lot more confidence that the cheaper alternatives will be manufactured to a high standard and safe to use. However, none of this will prevent the usual suspect magazines and Internet sites going into over drive to tell us Schiit have ripped up the rule book on affordable hi-fi, it's an absolute steal, sets a new benchmark blah blah (BTW, just wear insulted cut resistant gloves if you need to touch it).

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I read Schiit book published on headfi. Their main sales are with Modi and Magni. They don't have too much too loose if u don't buy their expensive Schiit :)

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Finally, and after searching around for so long :rolleyes: I am now aware of the company name's origin after reading an article on gearpatrol.com :

"Let’s get any confusion around its name out of the way. Schiit Audio is pronounced just like it reads — “shit.” That was intentional. “One of the reasons that we ended up with the company name was my wife,” says Jason Stoddard, cofounder of the California-based audio brand. “When I was going into the garage every night saying ‘I’ve got way too much shit to do,’ or ‘I can’t deal with this shit,’ she finally got exasperated and said, ‘Why don’t you just call the fucking company ‘shit’ because that’s all you ever do.'” He just went with it."

I feel very relieved now ...

Top Bottom