• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier with low standby power consumption

lordearl

What's a good (by ASR standards!) relatively inexpensive amplifier suitable for leaving on standby 24/7?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Buckeye NC252MP stereo amp should be low power on idle.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When you say 'standby', what exactly do you mean? Soft switch on/off or an amplifier that will turn itself on in the presence of audio?

@boXem has audio-sense on one/some of his amplifiers, but the standby/auto power consumption would need to be confirmed by him.

Some Yamaha integrated amplifiers will turn off (standby) after a period of time and go to standby. Most of this emphasis on standby consumption is due to strict EU conditions. I believe the <1W regulation is about to become more stringent with a <0.1W requirement.

Last edited:
OP
L

lordearl

Yes, sorry, I just mean on idle (soft switch) for remote IR switching on. Use case is for an office where people are coming and going all the time 24/7 so preference is not to turn it off on mains - although if the power consumption is low enough, it could simply be left fully switched on all the time I guess.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best combo would be the Drop THX 789 with the JDS Atom DAC which also has an auto standby mode after 15 mins. They look great together too. I had the Drop THX One version at the time too, and they sounded great.

OP
L

lordearl

The best combo would be the Drop THX 789 with the JDS Atom DAC which also has an auto standby mode after 15 mins. They look great together too. I had the Drop THX One version at the time too, and they sounded great.
Thanks - looks like a headphone amp though, after a power amplifier for speakers if possible.
I note it would need to be singled ended rather than balanced as well, as the gear it will service is all single ended - thx in advance!

grogi.giant

Yes, sorry, I just mean on idle (soft switch) for remote IR switching on. Use case is for an office where people are coming and going all the time 24/7 so preference is not to turn it off on mains - although if the power consumption is low enough, it could simply be left fully switched on all the time I guess.

I measured a couple of Aiyimas: A07, A07Pro and D03 - in BT mode were 4W, in Line-In mode were 6W. T9Pro is 10W - probably because of bright display, tubes and VU meter that are powered as well.

If it matches your low-power-in-idle criterion - I don't know.

Last edited:

diablo

Forum Donor
I recently got an SMSL A300 with a built-in power supply. In standby it uses 2.3W. Idle with no signal is 5.2W. Even in use at moderate volume it rarely uses more than 6W.

Top Bottom