• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for Monitor Audio Silver 300

bevok

Hi there

I've already got a home theatre system (Sony STR-DN1080, Pioneer speakers) which although at the budget end of the spectrum gives me plenty of musical enjoyment. I'd like to set up a 2.1 stereo system in another quite large room (200m3, 10m x 5m). My budget is around NZ$5,000 although could stretch a bit if necessary. I think I'm after something pretty neutral, deep and tangible bass but not boomy (i.e. it doesn't need to sound like a nightclub!) and clear highs. I want reasonable amount of detail but not OTT - I don't want lossy and compressed music (e.g. The Killers) to sound awful and sibilant although I'll be generally using lossless. My musical tastes are very broad, from contemporary pop to legacy singer songwriter, rock and even classical. Probably most things apart from metal and Hip Hop! I'm not that experienced a listener - I love and listen to a lot of music but I haven't heard a lot of high end systems etc. Also I generally don't listen at high levels - typically in the 60s db and sometimes stretching to the 70s according to my phone db meter.

I've probably suffered paralysis by analysis looking at all the options online and especially on this forum, but recently went to the nearest large city (Auckland NZ) and listened to the Fyne Audio 501 and 501SP, as well as the Monitor Audio 200 and 300. The Monitors sounded great, both had excellent soundstaging, seemed to reproduce the music accurately and well and although the bass wasn't earth shattering it was quite nimble and pleasant. For my space I think the 300 is the safe bet with the 6.5" main drivers. I also felt the midrange was just slightly clearer - Neil Young's voice on Heart of Gold for example, although this could have been psychological knowing it was three way. From what I've seen on Stereophile the 300's seem to measure pretty well. Part of me thinks perhaps I should go for the 500's due to the size of my room but they're NZD$500 more (I can get the 300s for $2,900).

Anyway I'd really like some advice on a good neutral and sufficiently powerful amplifier preferably from someone who own's the Silvers. What works well? When I demoed them they were connected to a Hegel 190 which sounded great but costs $7k. I can't help feeling surely some mass produced Japanese amplifier with reasonable measurements should be able to do a good job and achieve a better price-performance ratio? Two brands that are pretty easy to get are Denon and Yamaha. I like the measurements of the 3600 AVR on this site - the 3700 which I assume should be similar is available readily and I'd like the room correction, but the $2,900 price tag puts it a bit over the budget. I see there is a DRA-800H 2 channel receiver - does anyone know how this measures and sounds, and whether it is of similar quality? Would it be sufficiently powerful for my fairly large room (by NZ standards anyway!) at a claimed 100W into 8ohm? Some say that spec is overstated. The other options are either the Yamaha RN602 or RN803 (I'd prefer the former pricewise if sufficient) or perhaps the AS801. Good match? I'm not that worried about the streaming capabilities built in as gapless is important to me so I'll probably look to get a Sonos Port or Bluesound Node in the future.

The subwoofer will come later.

I appreciate any experience with similar speakers and/or room size to mine. Thank you!

OP
B

bevok

That looks beautiful- and is a beast! Great specs. It doesn’t seem to be distributed in New Zealand so support might be a concern. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll enquire with them to be sure.

Willem

Major Contributor
Much depends on local pricing, but I would say that the Yamaha AS701 is probably the best affordable amplifier. If you need more power it quickly gets rather more expensive (e.g. March Audio Hypex from Australia plus a Topping DAC/preamp), but getting two small active subwoofers would be a good way to get around that, at least up to a point.

OP
B

bevok

I hadn't really seen the AS701 come up that much, good thought. It is about $100 less here which isn't a major difference obviously but I probably won't need the USB DAC/input. I see it has a Burr Brown DAC instead of ESS, would that make much difference?
The appeal of the RN803 is the room correction/sub integration stuff and radio (although I don't use it that much so not a killer feature), although I don't really know how good YPAO is. I know it didn't measure so well with the digital side engaged although I'm not sure if it was audibly bad or just lower rated than other devices.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The appeal of the RN803 is the room correction/sub integration stuff and radio (although I don't use it that much so not a killer feature), although I don't really know how good YPAO is. I know it didn't measure so well with the digital side engaged although I'm not sure if it was audibly bad or just lower rated than other devices.

What about the X3700H? That has very good room correction. Measures very well. And you can always add a power amp if you need more power

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3700h-avr-review.15031/

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

jae

Major Contributor
Purifi amplifier
https://www.marchaudio.net.au/p452-purifi-amplifier
https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-purifi-eigentakt-stereo-amplifier-based-on-eval-1/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mplifier-sonic-shootout-€820-to-€8-344.14048/
(or DIY)
etc..

Hypex (cheaper and higher power options) and Benchmark (more expensive but less power, but more than enough for your application) are the best alternatives

Calibrated Microphone for doing measurements/EQ/DSP
https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1
https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-2

+ your choice of DAC/preamp (read reviews on this site)

Last edited:

nn_in

I hadn't really seen the AS701 come up that much, good thought. It is about $100 less here which isn't a major difference obviously but I probably won't need the USB DAC/input. I see it has a Burr Brown DAC instead of ESS, would that make much difference?
Consider Denon 1600NE and Yamaha AS701,801 ,RN 803.
As a RN 803 user i find the YPAO useful in my room setup.
How did the Fyne Audio compare to Monitor Audio spkrs ? I am considering 501s and would be curious to know your opinions.
Thank You.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've found a good match to the S300s in the Eigentakt-based NAD M28, so I'd imagine that the C298 would work well. I have not yet tried it.

jgiannakas

That speaker doesn’t seem like a particularly heavy load on an amp. Personally I’d do for an amp that has decent room correction built in or with a DSP somewhere in the chain. Room correction is equally if not more important than amp specs IMHO.

So from me another vote for the Denon X3700H especially of your room is not the best acoustically.

OP
B

bevok

You’ve blown by budget by $800 guys!
Seriously though the 3700 definitely ticks all my boxes and I might wait a bit longer and get that. I guess the thing that is a bit disjarring is paying another $1300 over the RN803 for example - no doubt a better solution but also a lot of features I’ll never use.
I’ll have a think. The 1600ne and NAD sound perfect but I fear will push the budget a bit too far! It sounds like Yamaha are a good option for my range if I stick to budget.

In terms of the Fyne 501s I’m not an experienced listener really with a big range of gear so don’t put too much credence on this. I thought they sounded good but the treble did sound slightly forced to me, it might have been that the sales man seemed to want to keep pushing the volume a lot higher than what I’m comfortable with. I’d still audition them yourself though. I love the Fyne story and they certainly look good but I really couldnt find fault with either of the Silvers so I decided to fix on them. The Silver 200 is actually remarkable when you realise how small they are in the flesh.

Willem

Major Contributor
At the somewhat budget end of things the Yamaha AS501/701/801 and RN803d all offer excellent quality for competitive prices and I would be hard put to think of anything remotely as good at this kind of price point. The AS501 has a bit less power, so it may not be the best option in your room, and the RN803d offers dsp eq as an attractive bonus. As long as 2x100 watt rms into 8 Ohm is enough I think they are an appropriate combination with the price level of the MA speakers. However, they will also serve very well in more elevated systems. If you want more power, Hypex based power amplifiers from e.g. March Audio are your value for money option and they measure extremely well. If you have the budget, an RME ADI-2 DAC is a very versatile professional preamp/DAC and a superb combination. If you want Dirac room eq the Minidsp SHD would be a good option as a DAC/preamp with Dirac. Alternatively, and instead of spending more on amplifcation, you could spend your remaining budget on two smaller subwoofers and an Antimode 8033 room eq for just the subs if you are not getting the RN803d that already has room eq. Subwoofers will give you much more headroom and low frequency extension.

Last edited:

Stentor

Hi all!
Recently I also bought a pair of MA Silver 300 7g. Unfortunately I still don't have amp. One of the reason is due to chip shortage and I am waiting more than a month for delivery of Pro-Ject Amp Box DS2 (currently I own Pre Box Digital S2 and could be used as a source). But with each passing day I doubt that this is the right decision to pair my Silvers with Pro-Ject amp. So I landed on this topic to see what you guys recommend for this MA Silver 300.
A lot of people are recommending Roksan K3 or Attessa for good synergy. But I can't find it anywhere locally in Bulgaria (nor EU), only in UK, but I don't want to deal with customs tax, etc. So this is not an option at the moment.

The Author of this topic didn't share what was his final decision for amp and was it OK? I will appreciate a short comment.
Also, any comments for these particular 4 amps? I am not sure will be a good choice for my Silvers.

- Technics SU-G700 - rated power 2 x 70 W @8 Ohm. Recommendation for Silver 300 is 80-200 W amp. Will be sufficient?
- Musical FIdelity M3si
- NAD C 298
- Arcam SA20

Thank you for your time and patience!

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I am using my MA Silver 300 (earlier version) very happily with the NAD M28 and it is an easy inference that the C298 would work as well.

Stentor

I want to give a short feedback about my choice.
Actually I bough 2 amps - Roksan Attessa integrated and Pro-Ject Amp Box DS2 and had the chance to test them both.
As a source I used external DAC for both of them - Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital.
According to my hearing Roksan sounds a little bit more dark in the mid & hi freqs than the Pro-Ject. Roksan has more tight bass. I like them both and probably would choose Roksan over Pro-Ject, but Roksan has a very loud nasty hum for its both analog inputs (the digital inputs are fine). Especially when the volume knob is at max and there is no sound. I used exactly the same hi quality cables for both the amps from Black Rhodium.
With Pro-Ject amp this problem does not exist, it is absolutely silent even when the ear is closer to the twitter.
So the Roksan will be sold and will keep the Pro-Ject.

panther

Late to the party I guess but ordered a B grade pair that was left from the discontinued sets. Will pair with a Lyngdorf 1120 and see how it goes if anyone cares.

Top Bottom