• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for Hifiman Sundara

Rat God

Needs to be shipped from Europe
Probably thread #50 on this but all the recommendations are for amplifiers only available in AMERICA. :mad:

Living in Denmark I'd have to pay ~50% import tax + fees so anything that isn't shipped from within the EU is out of the question.

Can't afford DAC
I can't afford to get a DAC so I'll just use the built-in from my PC and phone dongle. It should be good enough until I can afford something a bit better.
I read this article and though it isn't strict enough to be called scientific the conclusion seems right to me.

Budget: ~150€

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Rat God

Rat God

Here's what I found:

Topping L30 (audiophonics.fr) (also comes in silver)
SMSL SH-6 (audiophonics.fr)
Sabaj A10H (audiophonics.fr)

SMSL SH-6 (Amazon)
Sabaj A10H (Amazon)

Also consider buying a Meizu HiFi dongle to use as DAC. It's 26€ on AliExpress, 2.0Vrms, 113dB SINAD. Measurements, Link
Thanks, you're the man! I need to up my googling game tbh

I'll watch some reviews for your suggestions and buy one. I'll buy the dongle, probably better than whatever is on my MOBO.

Again, thanks a lot man. I appreciate it.

Mr-R

Is the ifi zen dac not available in your country? Mine has plenty of power to drive my headphone.

stemfencer

This is what you want - you really want an outboard DAC. While the DAC chips on computer motherboards are "good", they are packed around a lot of high powered electronics and normally very noise and interference.

However to answer the question you asked (amp uner 150 euro)

OP
Rat God

Rat God

Here's what I found:

Topping L30 (audiophonics.fr) (also comes in silver)
SMSL SH-6 (audiophonics.fr)
Sabaj A10H (audiophonics.fr)

SMSL SH-6 (Amazon)
Sabaj A10H (Amazon)

Also consider buying a Meizu HiFi dongle to use as DAC. It's 26€ on AliExpress, 2.0Vrms, 113dB SINAD. Measurements, Link
Sorry for bothering you again but honestly I can't really see what the difference between these are? Why is one cheaper while coming with more features despite having virtually the same stats, unless such minute differences actually matter?

JRS

Major Contributor
I use the Topping DX3 Pro + which was 150.00 and at that price and somewhat beyond one of the few amps available that can drive the Sundara's properly. By that I mean to very loud levels with the needed 10dB bass lift. 1,5 watts into 33 ohms, has 2 gain settings, is equipped with Bluetooth and has all of the usual inputs (it is a quality DAC besides!) along with RCA outs to use as a preamp if desired. The only gripe folk have is the 3mm jack, which coincidentally enough is the size the Sundara is supplied with. It is just a silly good deal, and have had no issues with the volume potwhich a couple have complained of on the 50 page review thread. Downside it is plastic, and has no bling appeal. I could not care less.

luft262

Get the Hidizis S9. Amir has reviewed it and recommends it. It is a dongle dac/amp combo. Or save up €100 more and order the JDS + atom DAC and amp stack.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Get the Hidizis S9. Amir has reviewed it and recommends it. It is a dongle dac/amp combo. Or save up €100 more and order the JDS + atom DAC and amp stack.
It's unobtanium. Replaced by the S9 Pro which is not the same beast at all (and not reviewed here)

luft262

luft262

It's unobtanium. Replaced by the S9 Pro which is not the same beast at all (and not reviewed here)
If he looks through the index there would probably be another acceptable dongle.

Top Bottom