• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for Dali Opticon 1 MK2

TonyBv9

Hi,
First post on this forum, so apologies if I ask daft questions.
As the title suggests, I'm thinking about an amplifier change for the Opticons. (85db 4ohm). Changing the speakers is not really possible, mainly for budget reasons and also because I really like them in my small listening area. I needed small speakers that could go against a wall, and there didn't seem a lot of choice within my parameters.
I mostly listen to records through a 1200GR with AT540ML through a Project Tube Box DS2 - occasionally CDs.
Anyway, I was using a Denon PMA800NE (85w into 4 ohms) with a sub running from the speaker 2 terminals. It sounded good until the Denon started playing up after 6 months. It sounded flat and lifeless and it's now in for repair.
Did the strain get to it? It never got hot, and the volume dial was generally between 9 and 11 o'clock to achieve a measured 70-90db from my listening position 2m away.
This has me thinking that I could/should change it when it comes out from repair or I get a refund.
The question is: how much power do I need? My understanding is that power is more than just volume, it's about control.

I'm looking at Yamaha AS-701 or 501 as they fit the bill. Specs seem very similar apart from power ratings, and price.
Any thoughts or suggestions, please?

I had opticon 2s, when i changed from a small chinese aiiyime class d amp to a 200 watt rotel amp it changed the speakers completely. it doesnt change the character of the speaker but everything becomes much fuller and airy. 4ohm speakers just love strong current amps ... i would look at least look at the yamaha 701.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Would also go with the Yamaha 701. In that price range you can't do much better really.

Similar price range you could also get a Cambridge CXA61 (refurbished from Cambridge)

OP
T

TonyBv9

Thanks for the replies.
I've got the Denon back. One of its features is "high current", but it never seemed to sparkle.
As well as the at540ml, I've got an at33ptgii mc cart. I was messing around with the gain on the phono stage and instead of the usual 60db I turned it down to 50. This meant increasing the vol on the amp from around 8 o'clock to 11 to achieve the same loudness at my listening position.
The difference in sound quality was remarkable; it was fuller and richer and the mid range was suddenly there. The speakers came alive.
I assume this is because the amp is now sending more current to the speakers. Do amps sound better when they're working harder?
Now I'm wondering if the 701 will achieve that at lower volume control levels.
With higher level inputs like CD, I can't have the Denon at 11, because it would be stupidly loud.
I've looked at a cx a61 also a Rotel A12 Mk1, which are still available.
Decisions...

OP
T

TonyBv9

I had opticon 2s, when i changed from a small chinese aiiyime class d amp to a 200 watt rotel amp it changed the speakers completely. it doesnt change the character of the speaker but everything becomes much fuller and airy. 4ohm speakers just love strong current amps ... i would look at least look at the yamaha 701.
Got an open box 701 for £380. Couldn't resist.
First impressions compared to the Denon: much lower noise floor. Before, with the phono stage at 60db there was an audible hiss, now it's much quieter. I was expecting to only have to turn the volume dial a little to achieve high output from the speakers, but it's up around 11 from a 60db input. The sound is fuller and more rounded, with better high end detail. Very happy. Also, the subwoofer is now connected via a cable, rather than by speaker terminals. Now it doesn't hum when the amp is turned off; an unexpected bonus.

Top Bottom