• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier advice for ELAC DBR62

Paolo

Hi all, I've been lurking for some months and this is my first post here.

Being an headphones guy since almost 30 years, for some reason speakers have always been out of my radar…

Can you please help me in choosing an amplifiers for passive speakers to pair with my RME ADI 2 DAC FS?

I vould like to use a pair of ELAC DRB 62, but frankly I have no idea of what could be a good amp for them, I only know that hopefully the amp should cost less than the speakers and that, mostly because of the looks and versatility, active monitors are not on my shortlist.

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

jae

Major Contributor
A Hypex NCore NC252MP amp will be less than $600, and even cheaper if you DIY.

3125b

Major Contributor
What specific devices are or are not a good deal depends on where you live, your selection of devices strikes me as European.
In Europe Audiophonics sells Hypex-based amps in a fairly compact package for a good price, for example: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14185.html
The NC252MP has way more power than you need for the little Elacs though, if you're not gonna drive larger speakers in the future, going significantly cheaper you could either buy a chip amp, Amir recommends the AIYIMA A07 wich costs only 80€ incl. power supply, or have a look at the used maket.

krott5333

A Hypex NCore NC252MP amp will be less than $600, and even cheaper if you DIY.

This is what I got to power my dbr62s. I got mine from Buckeye amps. I haven't actually tried it yet because I ordered the wrong type of XLR-to-RCA cable (got female xlr instead of male, oops). I'll be able to hook it up tonight finally.

OP
Paolo

Paolo

Thanks, you're right, writing from Italy.

The Audiophonics seems pretty much right, even if I don't know about eventual future speakers I could surely use the XLR inputs.

jae

Major Contributor
NC252MP might be a bit overkill for your setup but it allows it to be used on other speakers in the future and it will retain the value well. The AIYAMA is a great interim suggestion if you can see yourself buying another amp or upgrading sooner than later, however. There are limited amps that are better than this especially at this price point. After the NC252MP you have Hypex NC400 module amps as a next logical step up ($720-1200), and then beyond that the best options are Purifi ($1200+) and then Benchmark ($3000).

holbob

I have the Audiophonics Nc122mp driving the DBR62 without problems :)

wyup

I have the Audiophonics Nc122mp driving the DBR62 without problems :)
Which preamp do you use? I'm also thinking of this combo. For low volumes, does it control it well? Elacs are known for being power hungry. NC122MP has lower distorsion than NC252MP for low volumes, which is how I usually listen, so I think it'd be optimal (DBR62 is max 120W at 6 ohms and lowest dip 5 ohms, NC122MP is max 125W at 4ohms). But since they say it is so power hungry, I hesitate..

Last edited:

Freezak

Which preamp do you use? I'm also thinking of this combo. For low volumes, does it control it well? Elacs are known for being power hungry. NC122MP has lower distorsion than NC252MP for low volumes, which is how I usually listen, so I think it'd be optimal (DBR62 is max 120W at 6 ohms and lowest dip 5 ohms, NC122MP is max 125W at 4ohms). But since they say it is so power hungry, I hesitate..
I would like to know too. Have you figured this out yet?

wyup

I bought an Audiophonics NC122MP, but haven't got the Elacs yet. I'm using some PSB Image 2B speakers, 89-90db/6ohm. Amplifier has plenty of power, in fact too much gain. I contacted Hypex and they told me I can remove (desolder) two resistors on the tiny board (R76 and R162) to bypass the input buffer stage gain, about 13.5 db, which is perfect for me. I use a Aune X8 XVIII dac's pot for volume and it ramps up volume too fast, I can't use more than half the knob, and effectively a quarter. So I'm probably trying this mod. I have tried other 86db/6ohm speakers and it's too much gain aswell.
I wish I didn't have to send the amp for service and be able to change a jumper or a DIP switch instead. Total gain of the amp is about 26 db, 13db buffer stage +13 main stage, which seems to be normal for an amp. However I am forced to apply too much attenuation to my source, a 2Vrms dac at the volumes that I listen. I had way more pot range available in my previous integrated amp.

P.S. I forgot to say I'm happy with the amp sound quality, it's clean and natural sounding, not like a class D as I imagined. Definitely an improvement from my previous 45w amp , but not so much in power at low volumes. It has power to spare. I don't think I'll ever drive it to clipping!

Last edited:

wyup

Finally I got the Elacs with the NC122MP reduced gain mod. Great offer by Hidden Audio from Germany, as seen on this forum. Beautiful speakers. Their sound profile is very similar to my PSB Image 2B, only better and more natural. The NC122MP can drive these Elacs easily. With half gain is still enough for my listening volumes. Happy that I took the plunge. ☺️

Top Bottom