• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp volume vs source volume.

Lew3vans

Is it better to have lower source volume and more amp volume, or more source volume and less amp volume?

Zek

Major Contributor
The only thing to pay attention to is that the output signal of the source is not too strong, so that clipping occurs on the amplifier.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How can you tell if this is the case?

Thanks.

OP
L

Lew3vans

And also do you not want to hear more of the Amps magic? Rather than artificial gain?

Zek

Major Contributor
How can you tell if this is the case?
First, you should look at the specifications of the source device, what is the maximum output voltage. Then it should be compared with the input sensitivity of the amplifier. For example: if the source gives 5V or more at its output, and the input sensitivity of the amplifier for maximum power is 1V, then clipping of the amplifier can easily occur, which is reflected as a very large distortion.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have a decent amp and a source device, it does not matter for any practical purposes as long as none of the devices clip.

Zek

Major Contributor
as long as none of the devices clip.
focus.gif

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh wow, that's a short movie not an emoji :) I still don't know what it means though.

Chr1

Forum Donor
If you have a decent amp and a source device, it does not matter for any practical purposes as long as none of the devices clip.
I guess what I would like to know is how you can tell when clipping is occurring?

...and I don't mean hearing a nasty sound and seeing melting tweeter voice coils etc!

Eg I use Foobar and am wondering if, when the output VU meters are in the red, whether this indicates clipping of the output?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is it better to have lower source volume and more amp volume, or more source volume and less amp volume?

None of my speaker amplifiers has a volume control.

What does that say?

Last edited:

Chr1

Forum Donor
Likewise. Poweramps only here.

I guess that I still unsure about how to tell if your source/preamp is clipping...

Tom C

Major Contributor
I have heard the only way to know for sure is to connect an oscilloscope and observe the waveform.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
None of my speaker amplifiers has a volume control.

What does that say?
It says "None of my speaker amplifiers has a volume control". Asking us what you just wrote is a bit too much of a scrutiny don't you think.

I guess what I would like to know is how you can tell when clipping is occurring?

...and I don't mean hearing a nasty sound and seeing melting tweeter voice coils etc!

Eg I use Foobar and am wondering if, when the output VU meters are in the red, whether this indicates clipping of the output?
I don't know anything about Foobar. Your EQ app or your player should have some sort of clipping indicator. If not I don't know how you can tell other than listening for it.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It's complicated. It depends upon the performance (SNR, THD over signal level) of the source and amp, plus signal (power) to the speakers at your listening volume, and how that translates to noise and distortion through the signal chain.

Generally more gain (higher volume) earlier in the chain yields lower noise but it all depends on how good the source's SNR and distortion are, and that of the power amp.

See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opagate-through-my-system.33358/#post-1165118 It may be easier to skim the thread and look at some of the examples after the first series of posts.

Easy answer if you have the components is to try different settings to see what works best.

HTH - Don

Top Bottom