• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre-Out to power amp ... volume controlled?

Barry_Sound

Hey everyone, just want to make sure. As far as I understand you can hook a power-amp to an integrated amp using the pre-out port. Now I found contradictory reports on wether pre-out is always volume controlled or not. Worst case it would fire the power-amp at max volume. Any info on this?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey everyone, just want to make sure. As far as I understand you can hook a power-amp to an integrated amp using the pre-out port. Now I found contradictory reports on wether pre-out is always volume controlled or not. Worst case it would fire the power-amp at max volume. Any info on this?
If it is labelled as "pre-out" it should be volume controlled. Pass-thru would be the opposite. Still might want to turn down your digital source quite a bit before testing that for the first time though.

Top Bottom