• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp recommendation for PMC DB1+ setup

tgray

I have a pair of PMC DB1+ speakers that I run with a Grace Design M920 and Hafler P1500 amp. This is for use at my computer. I have no issues with the sound or anything, but the amp is getting long in the tooth and is pretty large.

I'm looking for a new amp that is 1) smaller and more convenient, 2) sounds as good or better than the hafler, and 3) doesn't cost a fortune. I was originally toying with the idea of the Parasound ZAmp but after reading the review here, dropped that. I was hoping for ≤$300, but could be convinced to go up to about $500 if I had to. Suggestions?

3125b

Major Contributor
Where do you live?

3125b

Major Contributor
It is, not all offerings are available everywhere. I don't really know the US market, I'm sure someone else can help you out with that.
Your speakers have quite a bit of power handling capability at 150W.
At that low to medium price point, Hypex NCore Modules seem like a good way to go, in Europe NC252MP are available for less than 500€. And of course Class D is the right choice of you want a compact amp because of the much higher efficiency compared to AB and others.

However from reading the specs, you current amp seems fine, 100dB SNR and 75W/8Ohms is hardly ground breaking, but not too bad either. Unless you push the amp to clipping, I doubt another amp is gonna make an audible difference.

OP
T

tgray

Thanks for the feedback. I get that country makes a difference - I meant I wasn't sure if adding my state (Ohio) was important.

Problem with the current amp - it's pretty old, runs hot, is big, and is developing some static at times in one of the channels. Not really looking for a sonic upgrade, more looking to take advantage of technology advancing and maybe having something that isn't quite as big. I'd be shock if I was pushing it to clipping - I rarely get over 70db or so at 1m.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'm certain one of the Hypex or Purifi based amps would do brilliantly here - something well above the little wonders you can buy over your way for a very few hundred bucks (most not available in the UK currently) - cool running, not necessarily huge cases and very good performance. Forgive my ignorance, but would Neurochrome make something suitable too, or are all his amps in kit form?

Good luck. I'm sure others who are US based will be able to point you in the right direction.

Top Bottom