• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to Naim Unity Atom Headphone amp

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Basically looking for all in one solution that has "endgame" Quality.

I would love something like the Cambridge Evo 150 as a headphone edition or a cheaper version of the naim unity atom..

Is there anything else on the market worth looking at doesn't cost 3000€ and does not come with a bad streaming app?

I would like to avoid going with a Stack. Alone for the reason that I don't want to get a raspberry pi.. and I don't want the bluesound node as a Streamer because of the DAC.

There are plenty of devices out there that do something good but come with useless backage that feels like a afterthought.. (good DAC, useless headphone amp, ok Streamer.. mediocre DAC.. good DAC useless streamer etc).

The device should have a good Streamer, balanced inputs, balanced headphone connection. Powerful enough headphone amp without costing 3000€.

What else is available?

Firefly00

Basically looking for all in one solution that has "endgame" Quality.

I would love something like the Cambridge Evo 150 as a headphone edition or a cheaper version of the naim unity atom..

Is there anything else on the market worth looking at doesn't cost 3000€ and does not come with a bad streaming app?

I would like to avoid going with a Stack. Alone for the reason that I don't want to get a raspberry pi.. and I don't want the bluesound node as a Streamer because of the DAC.

There are plenty of devices out there that do something good but come with useless backage that feels like a afterthought.. (good DAC, useless headphone amp, ok Streamer.. mediocre DAC.. good DAC useless streamer etc).

The device should have a good Streamer, balanced inputs, balanced headphone connection. Powerful enough headphone amp without costing 3000€.

What else is available?
Shanling Em5? it certainly does all those things. If you could compromise on the stack bit you could buy a DX3 Pro+ and a good streamer such as maybe the Allo Boss (pre assembled raspberry pi)

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Shanling Em5? it certainly does all those things. If you could compromise on the stack bit you could buy a DX3 Pro+ and a good streamer such as maybe the Allo Boss (pre assembled raspberry pi)

I saw the shanling in a YouTube review and it certainly checks most boxes but looks like the display only shows covers and stuff with files stored locally. And not with streaming services. And I use like 95% of the time qobuz.

But other than that its high on my list.

I'm currently running a Singxer SA 1 and my DAC streamer is the Cambridge CXN V2.. I would like to have a all in one solution that has at least that sound quality and the software should be reliable like the Cambridge streammagic app or bluesoundOS.

If Cambridge had the CXN V2 at half the size I would just buy a second unit.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Matrix Element series

The DAC in the "cheaper" options that don't cost 3000€ seem to be not really that good? And without roon I feel like the software wouldnt be what I'm looking for.

I basically want the software from Cambridge or bluesound with a high-end DAC like the topping D90SE and a headphone amp that has at least the quality of the Singxer SA1. And that all in one unit

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Few days ago I was checking hifi rose. You might try to look at their solutions?

I did read pretty bad stuff about their software.
Really looking for something with reliable frustration free software.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did read pretty bad stuff about their software.
Really looking for something with reliable frustration free software.
What is your source service? And do you want to eq?

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Find a chromecast audio (now discontinued), cast from phone to that plugged into optical for RME adi 2 dac fs. Job done
No balanced headphone connection.

All my headphones are using XLR

Chromecast has no gapless playback And is limited to 24 bit 96khz.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

No matter how much you spend, I doubt that you’ll find anything with a perfect app. In many cases, you’ll find a poor one.

Whatever you buy, I would try to find something with Chromecast built-in as a backup. Yes, I know it doesn’t do gapless, but do you need gapless for everything? And do you need better than 24 bit 96kHz?

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
No matter how much you spend, I doubt that you’ll find anything with a perfect app. In many cases, you’ll find a poor one.

Whatever you buy, I would try to find something with Chromecast built-in as a backup. Yes, I know it doesn’t do gapless, but do you need gapless for everything? And do you need better than 24 bit 96kHz?

Well.. I mean one can dream when willing to spend 1-2k € on a device.

Seriously is there no market for this? I start to feel like a crazy nut job to expect one machine do to everything ... And good.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

Seriously is there no market for this? I start to feel like a crazy nut job to expect one machine do to everything ... And good.

Yes, I can sympathise. For a long time I was just looking for streamer with a good app. Thought about a Matrix streamer. One look at the Matrix community forum put me off the app.

The BlueOS app is very good. I’ve never heard any complaints about the Cambridge app, and I think the units have built in Chromecast,

Ultimately, I can’t see past a CCA and a good DAC. But then I don’t care about gapless or bit/sample rates which I can’t hear.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The big market is soundbars etc, I can’t see that most companies would be interested in maintaining the software stack on an expensive device that wouldn’t be replaced that often. I think Linn make their products modular with upgraded for this reason, but at a much higher price point than the one you are interested in.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
The big market is soundbars etc, I can’t see that most companies would be interested in maintaining the software stack on an expensive device that wouldn’t be replaced that often. I think Linn make their products modular with upgraded for this reason, but at a much higher price point than the one you are interested in.
Still.. why can't put anyone together a decent device for 1k together where the software isn't a joke...

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Still.. why can't put anyone together a decent device for 1k together where the software isn't a joke...

I agree, it’s a puzzle.

Funny how “audiophiles” strive to obtain perfection from hardware components, but are prepared to put up with software which is at best a work-in-progress, at worst a bug-fest!

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I agree, it’s a puzzle.

Funny how “audiophiles” strive to obtain perfection from hardware components, but are prepared to put up with software which is at best a work-in-progress, at worst a bug-fest!
That's how I feel like about the whole raspberry pi , volumino stuff that looks like it was invented in 1990.

But spending 3k on a naim device feels crazy as well

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's how I feel like about the whole raspberry pi , volumino stuff that looks like it was invented in 1990.

But spending 3k on a naim device feels crazy as well
I see what you are saying but did you use networked computers in 1990?

Top Bottom