• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to Naim Unity Atom Headphone amp

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I see what you are saying but did you use networked computers in 1990?
Nope. But I used ms dos, windows 3.1 and windows 95 computers as a teenager.

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. But I used ms did , windows 3.1 and windows 95 computers as a teenager.
There is roon of course. A much more satisfactory interface, and they’ve apparently nailed integration of sources.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
There is roon of course. A much more satisfactory interface, and they’ve apparently nailed integration of sources.

I would have to get a roon core and/or a new laptop if I where to use roon.

And I'm looking for a all in one solution because I want to have only one device to keep it kinda portable.

Something like the Shanling EM5 I could put on a desk.. next to bed or even take it along with me for a vacation. I purchased the aeon 2 noire for that reason as well.

A stack , roon, laptop etc are all nice but it's not really portable and uses up more space. And causes clutter with all the cables.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have to get a roon core and/or a new laptop if I where to use roon.

And I'm looking for a all in one solution because I want to have only one device to keep it kinda portable.

Something like the Shanling EM5 I could put on a desk.. next to bed or even take it along with me for a vacation. I purchased the aeon 2 noire for that reason as well.

A stack , roon, laptop etc are all nice but it's not really portable and uses up more space. And causes clutter with all the cables.
Did you look at the Orchard device? It seemed to have the hardware you wanted. You’d need to do qobuz with upnp from your phone or laptop though, I use mconnect which I’d say gives 90% of the native apps functionality.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Matrix Element series

The matrix audio mini-i pro 3 looks nice. It has at least airplay 2 and is roon ready.

If it only had Chromecast as well.

I could get a adapter for XLR to 4.4mm balanced.

I keep it in mind, it looks at least like a solid machine.

But the Shanling EM5 still checks more boxes. But who knows how long it will take till the android version is outdated and newer versions of qobuz etc don't be supported anymore.

But if I need a new MacBook to really use Roon it adds up to much more than I wanted to spend.

Connecting my iPad to such a device would be a option as well. But in that case I could probably just get a DAC+Amp from topping or smsl

The French

Seriously is there no market for this? I start to feel like a crazy nut job to expect one machine do to everything ... And good.

I suppose there is no concensus on what is a good streamer anyway.

Most desktop Streamers are a pain to use.
You usually have to use their own app, or to stay into a very closed environnement.

The Matrix Mini-I 3 Pro is not only "Roon ready", it's Roon dependant. Without Roon, there's almost not streaming.
And Roon isn't free, and still requires a Core.

The Shanling EM-5 has Android, but a very closed one. You'll be stuck with Shanling (and if you ever had a Shanling DAP before, it's bad).

I ended up buying a Fiio M17, which is some kind of a desktop DAP.
It streams everything,
It's a DAC and it's an AMP.
And it does all that pretty well, well enough to drive almost any HP.

But sold it last week...for an RME ADI-2 + a Chromecast Audio.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor

You usually have to use their own app, or to stay into a very closed environnement.

The Matrix Mini-I 3 Pro is not only "Roon ready", it's Roon dependant. Without Roon, there's almost not streaming.

The Shanling EM-5 has Android, but a very closed one. You'll be stuck with Shanling (and if you ever had a Shanling DAP before, it's bad).

It streams everything,

I tried Roon and feel like it's overpriced for what it is. So I didn't want to spend 700 USD on a lifetime license.

Went with MacBook + audirvana with a smsl D300 + Singxer SA1 for my bedroom setup.

Chromecast is not gapless. Airplay is limited to CD quality.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

It streams everything,

Great choice. I hope you’re one of us lucky people who couldn‘t care less about gapless.

Top Bottom