• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Volt +D PSU noise

johnk

Hi,
I have been running an Allo Volt +D for a few years and I have recently noticed a lot more background noise. I have tried 4 different PSUs to see if that was the cause and I noticed that the different PSUs caused different levels of noise and at different frequencies (150Hz for my usual one and around 4500Hz for a spare laptop PSU I tried).
My uneducated guess is that some aspect of the PSU filtering is starting to fail. I had a look on the board and noticed that the colour a few of the capacitors near to where the PSU is connected are starting to fade (see photo).
I am wondering replacing these capacitors would be likely to solve my noise issue. Any thoughts? Also any suggestions of suitable replacement capacitors would be welcome.
Thanks,
John
allovoltdcapacitors.png

wwenze

Major Contributor
The colors fading are generally not a concern by itself. Why some capacitors fade faster than others however, this is not a topic I feel comfortable discussing (or rather alleging) in this thread.

Isn't the Volt +D two separate amplifiers each with it's own power supply section? Is your noise on one channel only? If it's on both channels I would check cable/AC connections and your source equipment instead.

Top Bottom