• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All about Reel-to-Reel Tapes

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting.

I wear a mechanical watch, even though they were obsolete by the time I was a child and I never owned a mechanical watch until I was over 30....

And I have an iPhone and Fitbit, so go figure.
I am a bit the same. I recently bought a smart watch to keep track of my excercise and after wearing it for a couple of days hated it for telling the time, so I put it on my right wrist and went back to a proper watch on my left.
I have several mechanical watches. I love the fact that they are still made when it is so much cheaper and easier to do electronically.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have an analog watch, digital watch, or tell time from your cell phone?

Just curious....
I wear a radio watch with an analogue display. It was a Junghans until about six months ago, when the radio update failed, so replaced it with a Citizen. It drives me nuts when the watch doesn't match the BBC pips......I think I keep an FM tuner only so I can verify my watch.....

S.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Won this on eBay, on it's way.

Revox PR-99, 7.5/15 IPS, 2 track 1/4", balanced in/out, adjustable output, 3 motors, logic control, Z-lock, full adjustable bias and head azimuth. Vintage 1986.

Needs a replacement head cover, new VU lightbulbs, and a replacement switch toggle, but otherwise in good shape, owned by a Studer / Revox tech:

s-l1600.jpg

It's NAB, unswitchable, but I've realized I can implement NAB/IEC conversion in DSP, so no big deal.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now I just have to figure out how to calibrate and align it.
I have an MRL tape for frequency response and such. So at some point if you need the help and willing to drive it down here, we could go after it together.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have an MRL tape for frequency response and such. So at some point if you need the help and willing to drive it down here, we could go after it together.

Hmm, I might take you up on that...those MRL tapes are stupidly expensive for what they are, and you have to get a different one for each EQ/speed combination.

Down here is....Gig Harbor?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For sure. Majority of users of R2R are diehard analog fans. They think it sounds good because it is analog.

BTW, I read your review of Ultra Analogue / Ed Pong's sampler. I just ordered 2 tapes from him.

I have to wait for him to get back from Japan for them to get made....talk about 'artisanal'!

Top Bottom