• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKM top chip Hump?

JJFUSA

I think it's quite entertaining for every audiophile to compare two highest level ESS and AKM chips, especially when implemented in the same DAC model:

SMSL D400 ES - ES9039:

SMSL D400 EX - AK4499:

Apex of the pure sound performance, I would say.

But it's quite interesting to observe a famous hump on the AKM chip now:

I'm not a sound expert by all means, yet after the ESS hump fuss (there is no more hump on new ESS chips like ES9038Q2M for example as far as I know) it's kinda weird to see a top AKM chip behave like this, or am I missing something here?

Hemi-Demon

It's a engineering error. The Gustard A26 does NOT have this issue.

SMSL and Topping will fix the issue at some point. Both companies have more pressing quality control issues to fix in my opinion.

OP
J

JJFUSA

It's a engineering error. The Gustard A26 does NOT have this issue.

SMSL and Topping will fix the issue at some point. Both companies have more pressing quality control issues to fix in my opinion.
Strange that companies let that happened, especially in the top tier models.

Comparing ESS and AKM:

Single ES9039:

Dual AK4499:

Seems ESS still performs much better.

What the point to use AKM then?

unpluggged

there is no more hump on new ESS chips like ES9038Q2M
On the contrary, the Q2M was actually infamous for the hump. See, for example, Khadas Tone Board measurements.

OP
J

JJFUSA

Unless the hump comes from the I/V circuit and not from the DAC...
SMSL use identical components in both versions of D400.

D400 ES (ES9039):

D400 EX (AK4499):

I guess it means that only chip itself (AK4499) is responsible for the hump.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
SMSL use identical components in both versions of D400.

D400 ES (ES9039):

D400 EX (AK4499):

I guess it means that only chip itself (AK4499) is responsible for the hump.
It is not the components that make the performance, it is how you use them. We do not know the I/V topology used, the different amount of them makes me wonder if the topology is the same.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Actually, the Gustard appears to hide the hump. Look at the graphs of the Gustard (top) and D400EX . I can't overlay the lines but it can be seen. Look at the x vs y values at each axis intersect. Almost like a parlor trick ;).

View attachment 261281
View attachment 261282
You are right. It’s easy to do. Ad dither ( broad band noise) to the signal. Smsl did it with the 200 as well. See @armirm last review. This can be done in the configuration of the chip.

BR52

It shows how important it is not only to see the sinad numbers all other measurements are important as well. Here the thd/ noise measurements.

Reactions: GPJ

BR52

Here a more extreme example:
SMSL DO200 MKII MQA DAC RCA Stereo THD vs frequency Audio Measurements.png
SMSL DO200 MKII MQA DAC Balanced Stereo IMD Distortion Audio Measurements.png

Reactions: GPJ

djgodlike

Someone from SMSL have send me a new firmware to fix the IMD problem of our D400EX. I have no equipment to measure but it seems to sound fine and a little less harsch. Maybe someone here can do another measurement? Flashing worked fine (different method than usb firmware). Use at own risk!

Attachments

• SMSL D400EX_MCU_FW 1.01.zip
    718.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Is it possible to flash the firmware without a windows computer?

BR52

Someone from SMSL have send me a new firmware to fix the IMD problem of our D400EX. I have no equipment to measure but it seems to sound fine and a little less harsch. Maybe someone here can do another measurement? Flashing worked fine (different method than usb firmware). Use at own risk!
I'm not sure a fix via software will work. I guess via SW it can be only hidden in higher broadband noise (dither). And this will make measurement charts at a not so critical look nicer. See some posts here before.
I guess it's a I/V stage problem and can only be solved via HW.
Would be great to have some measurements after the SW change, to see what's really happen.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Looks like with these DACs it's better to wait a couple of months till they go through a few software Updates and maybe hardware revisions.

BR52

Looks like with these DACs it's better to wait a couple of months till they go through a few software Updates and maybe hardware revisions.
Normally they are coming with a new model.
Model maintenance………

Dawsoo

Forum Donor
AKM4499EX really has a IMD hump problem in all implementations here you can see a picture of E70V vs E70. No noise masking really happens with the ES9028pro.

1670734188-SMPTE-Ratio.jpg
1666692065-SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

Sokel

Master Contributor
ES9038Q2M in Khadas tone1 is definitely responsible for the hump,output stage has little to do as seen here:

Unless there's a different output stage for DSD (which I don't think so) .
IMD vs level seems to be the most important measurement in DACs,along with SINAD vs level when used as an attenuator too.
Mind that music levels are about at -15db normalized,so about there is a nice point to look when played at full volume or subtract accordingly when used as an attenuator too.

Top Bottom